Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:03:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: China again——it was on TV this time  (Read 4516 times)
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 12:47:30 AM

What's the best exchange for someone in China to purchase BTC?

btcchina.com

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chunglam
Donator

Activity: 229
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 02:01:24 AM

The transaction volume of btcchina.com is very small compared with mt.gox. May still be a good choice because it is still very difficult moving money in/out of mt.gox for non-usa citizen. I have tried to deposit some money to mt.gox through its HK bank account two week ago and still not yet credited to my trading account, not to mention to withdraw money may take them months to process and the high cost.
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 03:07:09 AM

Bitcoin in Chinese is really cool. 比特币 could just be bit-coin but it also seems to hint at competition and scarcity. My best attempt:

比 (bǐ) "ratio", "compare" or "compete"
比特 "bit"
特 (tè) "special" or "unusual",
币 (jīn or bì) "mint", "coin" or "currency" (scarf radical) as in 人民 rénmínbì or 中央造厂 Taiwan's central mint

I'd appreciate corrections/interpretations.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 03:09:53 AM

Bitcoin in Chinese is really cool. 比特币 could just be bit-coin

google returns 2.2m results for 比特币

i wonder how many of those are related to bitcoin.
netrin

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 03:16:26 AM

My guess is all of them. A picture is worth a thousand words. And a thousand pictures...

Isn't Ruxum in Hong Kong and trading CHY/RMB?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
payb.tc

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 03:32:41 AM

My guess is all of them. A picture is worth a thousand words. And a thousand pictures...

but i wonder it that is just some kind of google trickery.

(because google has learned that 比特币 = bitcoin so it also returns results for bitcoin, even from pages that don't include 比特币)

edit: i guess not... 'bitcoin' doesn't appear to be known to google translate yet.
netrin

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 03:41:32 AM

I wondered that too. Even if Google can't translate it, Google is one big association engine. However, if you click on the images you'll see they are definitely Chinese sites with bitcoin related images. A billion people and a million query hits? Sounds reasonable.

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 03:45:30 AM

Bitcoin in Chinese is really cool. 比特币 could just be bit-coin

google returns 2.2m results for 比特币

i wonder how many of those are related to bitcoin.

It gives a more realistic result if you quote it: 
"比特币"

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
payb.tc

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 03:46:52 AM

well to put it in perspective, in english we get:

bitcoin - 4.35m
"bitcoin" - 2.39m

memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 04:18:46 AM

I doubt the Chinese government will crack down on bitcoin for a while - if anything they will look for an economic advantage.

I'm just an ignorant consumer but seems to me that there is some economic advantage, at least for small payments. Isn't depending on, for instance Paypal, somewhat cumbersome for non-US online vendors? I routinely buy stuff from China through eBay and I'm sure those sellers would love switching to a network with less regulatory fuss. Isn't what's bad for international banks good for local economies? Depends on your locality I guess...
Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 09:28:21 AM

I'm just an ignorant consumer but seems to me that there is some economic advantage, at least for small payments. Isn't depending on, for instance Paypal, somewhat cumbersome for non-US online vendors? I routinely buy stuff from China through eBay and I'm sure those sellers would love switching to a network with less regulatory fuss. Isn't what's bad for international banks good for local economies? Depends on your locality I guess...

This is the perfect way to drive down trade barriers. So you're absolutely right Grin

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
dancupid

Activity: 955

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 10:11:58 AM

Bitcoin in Chinese is really cool. 比特币 could just be bit-coin but it also seems to hint at competition and scarcity. My best attempt:

比特 "bit"
币 (jīn or bì) "mint", "coin" or "currency" (scarf radical) as in 人民 rénmínbì or 中央造厂 Taiwan's central mint

I'd appreciate corrections/interpretations.

比特 is really just an attempt to transliterate the English word 'bit' (as used in computing)
币 its definately bi (I'm not sure where jin comes from - are you confusing it with 巾, which does mean scarf?)
Bigpiggy01

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 10:25:20 AM

币 its definately bi (I'm not sure where jin comes from - are you confusing it with 巾, which does mean scarf?)

It's actually both jin and bi but jin is an archaic form of it. If I remember correctly it's from old Wu where they didn't use 金 for gold. Gold and coin are rather closely related in lots of ways.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄

▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
netrin

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 02:33:47 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2011, 03:02:51 PM by netrin

In the OP video, you'll hear her say bǐtèbì ("bee tshe bee") about fifty times (beautifully enunciated at 0:33-0:35). You can hear google say it.

比特 "bit"
比特 is really just an attempt to transliterate the English word 'bit' (as used in computing)

Thanks. Could a native speaker hear something like "competitive scarce coin" or only "bit coin"?

P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 02:51:45 PM

The meek shall inherit the Earth my friends. I am just so excited that we are getting TONS of free publicity, and that our message is spreading to every part of the planet.

I wouldnt get too excited yet.  not sure if google trends is accurate for china (they pulled out of china didnt they?) but if it is:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=bitcoin&ctab=0&geo=cn&date=ytd&sort=0

BTW, looking at the whole world, google trends paints an interesting picture:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=bitcoin&ctab=0&geo=all&date=ytd&sort=0

Seems like an almost perfect correlation with BTC price, just one month or so delayed.

Bigpiggy01

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 02:55:44 PM

Google isn't the search engine of choice here.

Baidu.com (which is a total waste for anything non Chinese) is the main engine here. And it just spiked quite heavily.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄

▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 03:58:30 PM

Thanks. Could a native speaker hear something like "competitive scarce coin" or only "bit coin"?

just bitcoin, bit coin

ampirebus

Activity: 672
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 04:34:33 PM

They have cheap Android tablets with wifi. You don't need to hash to use bitcoin.

if you are a student in china you get 35% off any computer items plus they're all made in china so already 50% off the price we pay here in america... you do the math... if youre a student and can afford computer/parts you can build a 1200mhash rig for the cost a US miner would get not even 350mhash... dont believe me translate commerce pages and convert prices.

a 6870 is around ~140 US... in china is about 70 for a consumer or 55$ for a student...
dancupid

Activity: 955

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 04:44:52 PM

In the OP video, you'll hear her say bǐtèbì ("bee tshe bee") about fifty times (beautifully enunciated at 0:33-0:35). You can hear google say it.

比特 "bit"

Each of these characters is like a syllable in English. It would be like hearing 'comp spec coin' in english. Compspec just sounds like some new companies made up name.
Bigpiggy01

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 05:02:38 PM

if you are a student in china you get 35% off any computer items plus they're all made in china so already 50% off the price we pay here in america... you do the math... if youre a student and can afford computer/parts you can build a 1200mhash rig for the cost a US miner would get not even 350mhash... dont believe me translate commerce pages and convert prices.

a 6870 is around ~140 US... in china is about 70 for a consumer or 55$ for a student...

Oooooh did someone overspend on mining equipment?  Tongue The thingy you mention is only in government sanctioned stores selling really low grade crap like android tablets or low-end laptops.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=10602748589 is one of the cheapest 6990s available @ 734.44 USD it's neither really cheap nor decent, notice the central fan that means you cant properly cool the rear gpu.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9563372611 is a fairly normal example of a brad name @ 979.777 USD it isn't cheap in anyway.

Those 6870s you're so hot about go for around:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=10676020541 @ 203.637 USD feel free to search taobao and get the price you mention.

What we can get here is the occasional junk card and resolder then @ very low prices. I bought a bunch of 5770s @ 20USD but A) had to have components replaced and B) had to cook up coolers for them.

But what you're talking is totally unsubstantiated bull. Get a life or post some proof.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄

▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█