Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:58:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My account was hacked and I didn't use a Bitcoin address..  (Read 613 times)
trapatalce (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2018, 03:58:54 PM

The previous address that was on my profile was my Ethereum address, I can also prove ownership of that.

You can prove you own the account by signing a message with that address.

Unless Theymos and Cyrus make an exception for you to recover this account , you have no chance.
I read somewhere "mprep" saying Theymos did not give any guidelines for staked ETH address for taking as valid proof.

It is bitcoin forum, Theymos will ask for bitcoin staked address only.
Might your proof /validity may help in DT to tag that account.

Lol, it was a bitcoin forum back in 2009, now it's a multi-coin forum and you can't expect everyone to have a bitcoin wallet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
trapatalce (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2018, 11:50:54 PM

Halp Plox!
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 12:25:42 AM

The previous address that was on my profile was my Ethereum address, I can also prove ownership of that.

Unless Theymos and Cyrus make an exception for you to recover this account , you have no chance.
I read somewhere "mprep" saying Theymos did not give any guidelines for staked ETH address for taking as valid proof.

Lol, it was a bitcoin forum back in 2009, now it's a multi-coin forum and you can't expect everyone to have a bitcoin wallet.

Supposedly any address of a decent altcoin (not easily 51%able) should do. It's not a multi-coin forum tho to be honest... the altcoin section was added because it was the only way to contain everyone coming in here creating altcoin posts in a Bitcoin forum, so out of convenience the containment board for alts was created.

As far as you recovering an account without a Bitcoin address posted in a previous unedited comment/posted in a locked thread, it's next to impossible.

There is people that have been waiting for months, even more than a year, and they signed not one but several bitcoin addresses, and theymos or Cyrus don't see these cases/simply cannot be bothered to recover the accounts. It is insane? indeed, but what can you do? it has been discussed several times that new staff should be doing this job to speed the queue up, attempts of such were unfruitful. I think there's no point in your case.
trapatalce (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2018, 12:59:01 AM

Supposedly any address of a decent altcoin (not easily 51%able) should do. It's not a multi-coin forum tho to be honest... the altcoin section was added because it was the only way to contain everyone coming in here creating altcoin posts in a Bitcoin forum, so out of convenience the containment board for alts was created.

As far as you recovering an account without a Bitcoin address posted in a previous unedited comment/posted in a locked thread, it's next to impossible.

There is people that have been waiting for months, even more than a year, and they signed not one but several bitcoin addresses, and theymos or Cyrus don't see these cases/simply cannot be bothered to recover the accounts. It is insane? indeed, but what can you do? it has been discussed several times that new staff should be doing this job to speed the queue up, attempts of such were unfruitful. I think there's no point in your case.
I know there are quite a few accounts left unattended to and that is what I fear may be coming for me, from what I read 99% of the people don't get their accounts back.
cellard
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 01:14:23 AM

I know there are quite a few accounts left unattended to and that is what I fear may be coming for me, from what I read 99% of the people don't get their accounts back.

Considering that your account isn't an Hero account or above and you don't have the bitcoin address staked, unedited or in a locked thread, I wouldn't even bother to be honest.

This guy for instance:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2251399.0

Several verified messages on bitcoin addresses posted years ago, unedited or locked thread otherwise, all good. Apparently still no word from theymos or Cyrus. He will soon have 1 year of wait, probably a record, it's one of the longest waits I've ever seen with compelling evidence presented, and it's an Hero account to boot. So with examples like this, there's no hope for the average case of lost account unfortunately.
trapatalce (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2018, 01:39:45 AM

Considering that your account isn't an Hero account or above and you don't have the bitcoin address staked, unedited or in a locked thread, I wouldn't even bother to be honest.

This guy for instance:

Several verified messages on bitcoin addresses posted years ago, unedited or locked thread otherwise, all good. Apparently still no word from theymos or Cyrus. He will soon have 1 year of wait, probably a record, it's one of the longest waits I've ever seen with compelling evidence presented, and it's an Hero account to boot. So with examples like this, there's no hope for the average case of lost account unfortunately.

The average case, right? That's more than a year's worth of activity lost. You know what grinds my gears? There's no security options on this forum, something like 2FA or verifying an email change through the old email... Not even sure if it's my fault I got hacked, this forum software is 10 years old..
roda00

Activity: 106
Merit: 7

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 05:19:47 AM

wrong. hilariousandco can not. I have pmed him the signed message and a request to unlock my account but he told me to contact theymos and cyrus. which means i will most likely never get it back although providing all proof as requested!!!
Are you sure? That's what I found:

If you can provide reasonable proof that it's your account I can unlock it but not restore it.

I see Cyrus recovering a few accounts from time to time. You should just wait.
A very long time is under consideration. I myself am waiting for the restoration of my account from February
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3000966.
cellard
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 02:34:51 PM

This guy for instance:

The average case, right? That's more than a year's worth of activity lost. You know what grinds my gears? There's no security options on this forum, something like 2FA or verifying an email change through the old email... Not even sure if it's my fault I got hacked, this forum software is 10 years old..

A couple of months ago there were some improvements in security via email address:

I added email notifications for some security events:

Whenever your password is changed (except by an administrator), you will get an email about it.

Whenever your email is changed (except by an administrator), your old email will get an email about it with a link to lock your account. The link is valid for 14 days.

Let me know if you find any bugs.

So if something warning happens you will get noticed and have the possibility to lock your account yourself to avoid the hacker joining signature campaigns and wrecking around.

Of course, this does not change the fact that after you lock it, the nightmare begins in which you will be waited and indefinite amount of time waiting for either Cyrus or theymos to restore it back to you.

There's no workaround for this that I can think off, other than some automation + hiring more people to check the cases.
Deadstock

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 03:18:16 PM

The security on this forum is a utter joke, i've tried messaging multiple admins but never have I once gotten a response back. lost an account from years back to some scumbag in denmark that is active on my account/shilling fake projects. All the hacker had to do was change the email address on file and I had no way to access my account.
trapatalce (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2018, 04:31:25 PM

If I had known that locking my account will be this hellfire I am experiencing now, I wouldn't lock it. After I locked it, I opened yopmail.com and saw that you can use any email you want there without any password, so I could reset my password and email, but I locked it and now I am in hell.
Just send me an email like:
"Your email has been changed"
"Your email has been changed to XXX, if this wasn't you, click here to revert the change."
It's so fucking simple.

"We've improved security by giving you a chance to lock your account forever, but we'll never EVER unlock it for you, fuck you"
I had a better chance of asking the hacker nicely to hand over my account..
detector

Activity: 484
Merit: 124

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 04:56:39 PM

I think there is small chance to get recover nowadays so just create another account for your own good.
The lesson is very expensive !
cellard
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 08:05:33 PM

If I had known that locking my account will be this hellfire I am experiencing now, I wouldn't lock it. After I locked it, I opened yopmail.com and saw that you can use any email you want there without any password, so I could reset my password and email, but I locked it and now I am in hell.
Just send me an email like:
"Your email has been changed"
"Your email has been changed to XXX, if this wasn't you, click here to revert the change."
It's so fucking simple.

"We've improved security by giving you a chance to lock your account forever, but we'll never EVER unlock it for you, fuck you"
I had a better chance of asking the hacker nicely to hand over my account..

Yeah, it's pretty dumb actually. At least you avoid people impersonating you, but yes, it's kind of pointless if you don't get to recover the account.

The link should lock it once clicked, and then when you try to access your locked account, you would be asked to reset the password, which you would receive in your email (these automatically generated passwords, so you receive it, then you change it for a better password once you can access). The process is automated.

This is the case where the forum password gets stolen, but they (hackers) can't access the email.

If they can access the email, then you are screwed, which is why we should have an alternative email, in case we lose one, we can recover the email with the second one. Recovery email it's better than an SMS, more private, I don't personally want to involve my phone number or anything like that in here, too many scammers.

We just need to automate password recovery, not only locking the account.

When in doubt, if someone that isn't the real owner obtains access through the automated system, the real owner will simply come in here and sign a BTC address.

I think there is small chance to get recover nowadays so just create another account for your own good.
The lesson is very expensive !

On a long enough timeline everyone gets their password compromised, even satoshi. We can't have perfect security with emails/passwords.
trapatalce (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2018, 01:27:24 AM

The light at the end of the tunnel. This is either a very, very long tunnel, or I am going through it at the speed of a snail.
trapatalce (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2018, 01:34:49 PM

Believe and you will achieve.
trapatalce (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2018, 01:52:25 AM

Why do I even try?
doomistake

Activity: 1400
Merit: 571

View Profile
August 07, 2018, 03:14:48 PM

Based on your post, it seems like someone knows the password of your bitcointalk account, because technically he couldn't change the email address if he didn't log in, I don't know how did that happen, but I think maybe you accidentally said it to someone you knew or the password of your account is so easy to guess, for that to happen. Anyways, be more extra careful next time and use signed in message for safety purposes.
trapatalce (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2018, 12:02:09 AM

Even if someone did know the password.. Give me 2FA, give me an option to undo the changed email address, give me customer support... Nah, fuck you lakimens.
trapatalce (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 12:26:17 AM

Well, goodbye lakimens, have fun in the depths of the database, dead, but not forgotten.
trapatalce (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2018, 12:32:16 AM

Try again, I guess?
trapatalce (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2018, 03:39:14 AM

Apparently, there's an account recovery email, it only shows it when you try to reset the password on a locked account.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: