Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:12:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid question?  (Read 655 times)
simba82 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 09:32:14 AM

I'm following the Bitcoin developments for some time now, and am about to jump in (waiting for my exchange accounts to get verified).

So, this is probably just a stupid question, but I can't get my head around it.

The buy/sell differences between the various exchanges can be very big. What would stop me from buying at, for example (and not considering the now offline mtgox) 1btc at $651 at bitstamp (which as per today is at $651/$642 buy/sell) and then selling that same bitcoin at another exchange that offers a better selling price, say Kraken (which i believe now is at $673/$670).

Presto, that's $30 per btc in the pocket for barely any effort (and i think i've seen bigger differences between exchanges)... But surely, it won't work that way?.

Damn, i feel like a noob Sad
Can anyone enlighten me??  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HerrAndreas

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 10:26:56 AM

what you have in mind is called "arbitrage".
yes it does work, but keep in mind that you are not the only one to try and make a profit of it.
the more people try to do that, the faster the prices will even out (you can even tell where most people are buying and selling just from the price difference - as it very quickly becomes equal to buy price + transaction fees).
when you take the transaction fees of the different exchanges into account the profit you aimed for can very quickly turn into good old speculation on a rising price if the prices change faster than your btc transfer arrives.

having said that:
yes it does work, but there is a big BUT.

It is like the wild west in the movies, like russia in the 90ies.
It´s you, revolutionaries, scamers, gangsters, genuises, greedy soon-to-be loosers, billionares, and  big business at a global private party. It is bitcoin. http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/dont-panic/
Acidyo

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 12:12:22 PM

what you have in mind is called "arbitrage".
yes it does work, but keep in mind that you are not the only one to try and make a profit of it.
the more people try to do that, the faster the prices will even out (you can even tell where most people are buying and selling just from the price difference - as it very quickly becomes equal to buy price + transaction fees).
when you take the transaction fees of the different exchanges into account the profit you aimed for can very quickly turn into good old speculation on a rising price if the prices change faster than your btc transfer arrives.

having said that:
yes it does work, but there is a big BUT.

also don't forget; add exchange fee's to the rest of the fee's too, usually it's 0.2%.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: