Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:13:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DAG or Blockchain?  (Read 247 times)
project_delta (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2018, 07:30:49 AM

So I was going through this new technology called as "DAG". it seemed promising. For people who don't know about it, DAG is Directed Acyclic Graphs ,which seems to solve the problems that blockchain face such as scalability (by increasing the speed of the block) ,Interoperability (as only one transaction takes place at a time) and Sustainability. What are your thoughts?

PROJECT DELTA
Shaping the Future of Blockchain
Project DELTA develops a game-changing Blockchain Protocol; projectdelta.io/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kingpin4321

Activity: 280
Merit: 14

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 07:51:33 AM

DAG creates and avenue for cryptocurrency to perform in the same manners as a blockchain technology with out the involvement of miners or block

The involvement of miners which are needed to first confirm a transcation before it can take place on the blockchain some times this miners can be much and results are a bit not fast. But this is not so with the directed acyclic graph since they are linked and don't require any miner one confirmation confirm the next.
 DAG poses as a good threat to block chain there are some flaws in the blockchain technology that directed acyclic graph are triggered to solve
ScarlleeLizzie

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 08:03:25 AM

DAG currently possesses many outstanding advantages to really attract users similar to Blockchain. For Blockchain, when created A new block needs a pre-block and a computational resource and energy to deal with. DAG alone is based on the reliability of at least two sites before it. The more relatable the site is, the more trustworthy it is. Because it doesn't use a lot of resources, DAG does not need powerful digging systems. The faster time to create a site makes the transaction whole. faster than Blockchain. So far, there isn't any basis to compare DAG or Blockchain really better.
Bergqvist

Activity: 29

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 03:33:33 AM

The newer technology usually provides better service. Dag has also done promising features and the improved version to control than blockchain. So it might be good. But still, as its new and blockchain isn't still creating any notable mistake, it won't be wrong to stick to blockchain too.
Angelique Donovan

Activity: 22
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 03:41:37 AM

DAG has shown more promises than Blockchain. However wether it has enough potential to be better than the Blockchain is yet to be seen. Since there is not much platform based on DAG, it is really difficult compare this two and decide which one is better.
Rufuspetersko

Activity: 24

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 04:00:25 AM

DAG has a lot of potential as it does solve the issues blockchain faces. Because of this it is attracting new users similar to blockchain. DAG provides the same technology as blockchain without the involvement of miners. Miners confirm a transaction before it can be placed on the blockchain and sometimes the miner takes a longer time than expected which make the results not fast. DAG poses a good threat to Blockchain and how that will effect it can only be seen in time.
Vernfwiles

Activity: 25

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 04:11:21 AM

They are similiar in a lot of ways. DAG is really out there giving blockchain a run for their money. DAG is faster and seems promising but Blockchain is still the most reliable.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 06:13:27 AM

everything has both advantages and disadvantages, so i don't think you can say DAG is better or worse than blockchain. unfortunately so far we haven't seen it in real action. there are a couple of coins using it but the usage isn't that widespread like bitcoin so we can not analyze it in action. (IOTA for example)
in any case i think DAG is a pretty cool technology and it has a good potential.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
flying_bit

Activity: 434
Merit: 9

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 08:01:49 AM

So I was going through this new technology called as "DAG". it seemed promising. For people who don't know about it, DAG is Directed Acyclic Graphs ,which seems to solve the problems that blockchain face such as scalability (by increasing the speed of the block) ,Interoperability (as only one transaction takes place at a time) and Sustainability. What are your thoughts?

I'm new to DAG and when I'm doing my own researched, I saw very few disadvantage of DAG. It is say that currently, Iota, Byteball and Constellation are crypto using DAG tech. No miners, more decentralized, fast and low cost transaction are some advantage of DAG while disadvantage is traffic related issues which I find very important. I find the traffic related issues confusing and makes me question the effectiveness of DAG coz this is where all the advantage of DAG depend on. Few/less traffic will cause slow transaction but high traffic can make it prone to hacker/security vulnerability.   So can anyone enlighten me about DAG and with what I know I honestly can't see it better than blockchain right now.

Reality is the only thing that is real.
BillyWallows

Activity: 5

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 08:14:28 AM

DAG isn't much different from Blockchain. One of the major differences that make DAG a "miner" is that people who use "processes, direct connections, and transaction confirmations" on the system will no longer exist. Don't use too many resources, DAG doesn't need powerful digging systems. The faster time to create a site makes the transaction completely faster than Blockchain.
team.taoist

Activity: 47

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 08:45:42 AM

everything has both advantages and disadvantages, so i don't think you can say DAG is better or worse than blockchain. unfortunately so far we haven't seen it in real action. there are a couple of coins using it but the usage isn't that widespread like bitcoin so we can not analyze it in action. (IOTA for example)
in any case i think DAG is a pretty cool technology and it has a good potential.

In the past years, there are several DAG projects such as nano, IOTA, Byteball. And this year 2018, there is another new one name Dagger or XDAG, not sure what is the exact name.

DAG is a different way rather than blockchain. Cannot say which one is better at the current state.
ND_INVEST

Activity: 102
Merit: 3

Purchase real estate and cars at discounted prices

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2018, 09:36:34 AM

DAG really solves some issues that cannot be solved by blockchain, but the technology is still raw and the coins are buggy. Moreover, there's this problem with DAG that on early stages it's inevitably extremely centralized, because transactions have to be confirmed by a trusted authority while the community is forming to avoid double spending and analogous problems. IMO DAG has a future, but right now it's just not explored and developed enough to be a serious competitor of blockchain. It's more like a cool idea.
Conasse

Activity: 336
Merit: 5

Culotte Jaune Officielle

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 10:55:06 AM

Horizen is in partnership with IOHK working on block-DAG. DAG isn't really new btw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=fGzhJkAnUmQ

The ideal result is a combined Proof of Work setup but where the blocks go on the DAG, instead of a blockchain. The mesh structure of the DAG means that blocks that don’t make it right away into the block chain can still be used vs tossed in the current single blockchain.

Bouffe ma chatte, pas la planète!
Jazmyn Salazar

Activity: 26

View Profile
October 26, 2018, 03:24:52 PM

DAG currently possesses many outstanding advantages to really attract users similar to blockchain. The involvement of miners which are needed to first confirm a transaction before it can take place on the blockchain, sometimes this miners can be much and results are a bit not fast.
Gelanwan01

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 03:27:15 PM

Technically DAG seems superior to blockchain. It's cheaper, faster and more scalable. But both these network are tailored for specific purpose. Bitcoin may take hours to send some data but it is verified by many nodes which ensures maximum security with fault proof system. It's like heavy duty enterprise solution whereas DAG because of its fast nature more suitable for everyday things, like IOT. You don't need to bother about too much security and verification here. It's lightweight meaning it will pick up things that are not too sensitive, like transferring $194 million dollar.
Kaoeveth001

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 03:27:29 PM

DAG are usually faster than blockchain due to its nature, it's a well established fact. However, bitcoin requires rigorous verification process which is completely fail proof. If you want to send huge chunk of money, which option would you prefer, an army convoy or fedex?
Kerrajan210

Activity: 4

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 03:30:45 PM

Directed Acylic Graph or DAG is like the better version of Blockchain. This involves overcomming the problems of the blockchains with better infrustructure.
Asomawyn21

Activity: 4

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 03:31:00 PM

Both are great and have different purpose. DAG is cheaper, faster and much more scalabe in nature. Blockchain is like more of a heavy duty enterprise solution as its more secure and takes more time but on the other hand DAG can be used for day to day stuff as its faster and cheaper.
Coinraptor

Activity: 257
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 06:33:28 PM

Well, both technologies are good to use and have own potential. So far I know DAG can work faster than blockchain and it is cheaper than blockchain even it seems much promising but it doesn't mean blockchain is worst than DAG. Blochain has been working for a long time it is used so widely all over the world. So DAG and blockchain both have advantages and disadvantages.

Curiosity7

Activity: 66

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 07:01:43 PM

DAG is an entirely different approach. I like the theory behind it and the approach. However, it remains to be seen if and how it can succeed in practice. So far, blockchain has proven itself beyond doubt while there aren't too many DAG projects and those that exist aren't too far in their development. IOTA for instance, is struggling significantly in my opinion.

That's the problem with DAG, it needs the scale to function properly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: