Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:29:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to buy gold and silver.  (Read 4379 times)
Insomniadreamer

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 01:17:00 AM

just the amount of times the US monetary base has been multiplied by 2008 will have anybody scratching their head as to what will happen over these coming years in all sorts of markets. what usually would take about 10 years for the Monetary base to double, has more than tripled in the last 5 years since 2008. the sheer volume of illegitimate federal reserve notes being pumped into the systems cannot align with anything other than a rising prices of just about everything, including gold and silver, and btc.

For gold/silver comparison purposes, you would have to take the overall world money creation though.

To my knowledge, about $15 trillion dollars worth of money have been created worldwide since 2008 or so. Do you have a different numbers (and a link or source)?

Overall, I totally agree with you, just interested in learning more about this topic. I googled it and it was hard to find any info.

I guess you're right about that for comparison purposes you would have to consider all fiat printing, not just US fed notes but euros and yen and renminbi and rupee etc... the numbers i used are all fairly rough and are just from my memory of sources ive read or seen places. Though i found some pretty interesting numbers by googling all the different fiat currencies Monetary base chart (tradingeconomics . com has a lot of info) for the last 10 years. there are charts for other national currencies as well. If you looked at all those carefully enough you could figure out more precisely how much money has been created lately. 15 trillion definitely sounds feasible. I dont know if all that wealth creation necessarily correlates to higher silver and gold prices though. I think its a correlation that could probably be proved or disproved pretty well either way with a lot of analyzation.

Interesting website, thanks, but a bit hard to read! How would you look up money creation on there?

I just know China prints $425 billion per month:

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2014/02/Jan%20China%20TSF%20vs%20Fed%20BOJ.jpg

Long term, I would say the PM prices would have to adopt, but of course, what has always been keeping them back is that incredible amount of manipulation. Also, the money is still with the banks, it needs to go out into circulation. But I think a lot of this will happen and PM prices will skyrocket.

If you are on trading economics home page find the "indicators" drop down menu and click on "more indicators". under the "money" section there are a few options M1 M2 M3 for example. if you click on you'll see the money creation of every country and if you click on one individually it'll show you a chart. how much/at what rate/during which years. etc...

your right, almost all the credit that was created lately is still held onto by the big banks.I would think prices of everything will have to adopt once it starts creeping out more quickly, including silver. but like you said manipulation is not a fantasy,  a lot of people think its amazing that silver can be so cheap as it is today with all the fiat out there. i personally thought all the futures contracts and paper gold/silver contracts people have been selling this last year (to re-buy real gold/silver? get out of the market totally? idk...) has made it look like the price has gone down. i dont know how much truth there is to that but I know the price is tied to all the electronic paper metal markets as well not just the physical stuff. I dont think the people who set up these deals have all the metal or even the paper money to pay back all the people who bought paper contracts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 01:29:50 AM

Any thoughts on "OPM Metals"  gold or silver bars?  Those were the ones that I was looking at to purchase and then just store in safety deposit box...
Insomniadreamer

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 01:49:41 AM

Any thoughts on "OPM Metals"  gold or silver bars?  Those were the ones that I was looking at to purchase and then just store in safety deposit box...

(OPM) Ohio precious metals is a reputable company. you should have no problem selling them if the time ever came. they are not backed by the government like eagles but that doesn't matter to a lot of people who invest in PM. as long as its real and you get a good deal all is good.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 09:31:37 AM

I'm looking for a page where I can buy gold and silver with bitcoin - Is there a retailer within the European Union??

I don't like to pay toll just for importing goods to the good old EU.  Shocked

I thought you're poor and homeless? You owe your lawyer $2.5 million.  Undecided

I accept BTC for gold and silver: bitcoincommodities.com
Try me out, I hear I'm doing an okay job so far.

Where are you located?

Berlin, Germany.
Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:46:10 AM

just the amount of times the US monetary base has been multiplied by 2008 will have anybody scratching their head as to what will happen over these coming years in all sorts of markets. what usually would take about 10 years for the Monetary base to double, has more than tripled in the last 5 years since 2008. the sheer volume of illegitimate federal reserve notes being pumped into the systems cannot align with anything other than a rising prices of just about everything, including gold and silver, and btc.

For gold/silver comparison purposes, you would have to take the overall world money creation though.

To my knowledge, about $15 trillion dollars worth of money have been created worldwide since 2008 or so. Do you have a different numbers (and a link or source)?

Overall, I totally agree with you, just interested in learning more about this topic. I googled it and it was hard to find any info.

I guess you're right about that for comparison purposes you would have to consider all fiat printing, not just US fed notes but euros and yen and renminbi and rupee etc... the numbers i used are all fairly rough and are just from my memory of sources ive read or seen places. Though i found some pretty interesting numbers by googling all the different fiat currencies Monetary base chart (tradingeconomics . com has a lot of info) for the last 10 years. there are charts for other national currencies as well. If you looked at all those carefully enough you could figure out more precisely how much money has been created lately. 15 trillion definitely sounds feasible. I dont know if all that wealth creation necessarily correlates to higher silver and gold prices though. I think its a correlation that could probably be proved or disproved pretty well either way with a lot of analyzation.

Interesting website, thanks, but a bit hard to read! How would you look up money creation on there?

I just know China prints $425 billion per month:

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2014/02/Jan%20China%20TSF%20vs%20Fed%20BOJ.jpg

Long term, I would say the PM prices would have to adopt, but of course, what has always been keeping them back is that incredible amount of manipulation. Also, the money is still with the banks, it needs to go out into circulation. But I think a lot of this will happen and PM prices will skyrocket.

If you are on trading economics home page find the "indicators" drop down menu and click on "more indicators". under the "money" section there are a few options M1 M2 M3 for example. if you click on you'll see the money creation of every country and if you click on one individually it'll show you a chart. how much/at what rate/during which years. etc...

your right, almost all the credit that was created lately is still held onto by the big banks.I would think prices of everything will have to adopt once it starts creeping out more quickly, including silver. but like you said manipulation is not a fantasy,  a lot of people think its amazing that silver can be so cheap as it is today with all the fiat out there. i personally thought all the futures contracts and paper gold/silver contracts people have been selling this last year (to re-buy real gold/silver? get out of the market totally? idk...) has made it look like the price has gone down. i dont know how much truth there is to that but I know the price is tied to all the electronic paper metal markets as well not just the physical stuff. I dont think the people who set up these deals have all the metal or even the paper money to pay back all the people who bought paper contracts.

Cool, thanks, that's a great website I didn't know before! I will give you a great website too, it's a blog that follows the PM manipulation on a daily basis, I have learned a lot from it:

http://blog.milesfranklin.com/

Just be aware those guys are selling PMs.

For sure there is only a fraction of the paper gold existing in physical form, the Comex was at 110:1 (paper:physical) a short while ago, as you probably know.

Manipulation has been at absoluetely unprecedented levels, look in the blog above.

Ha ha, when you speak in this forum about PM manipulation, everybody takes it as a given, while out there in the real world people just think you are a lunatic. That's one reason why I like this forum - well informed people!
BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 09:50:15 PM

Biggest problem of investing into silver or gold or most of this kind of material things is fact that you need to keep it somewhere and it creates costs and when you buy/sell it you need middle man, and that's another cost. In US, mostly on channels like foxnews investment in gold is heavily advertised. The actual benefit of this kind of investment is rather hard to be determined. It should be safe, so does a lot of other kind of options, including super safe treasure bills, that creates bigger profit to rather stable gold price (well ok recently were weird times). Some people are afraid country they bought treasure bills from would collapse, but it could only happen at some kind of world war (I'm talking about big normal country, not South Sudan or Western Sahara) and if that would happen your gold would be useless assuming you would survive nuclear holocaust. Price of gold and silver is kind of agreement between people that this metal is actually worth something. It is shiny, you can make jewelry out of it, it works nice with electricity but that's about it. Diamonds have same problem (actually diamonds price is PR-stunt created by monopoly's but shh....). Since you find this forum you know there are certain ways of buy virtual currency that might be more useful in future. Also you can always buy Microsoft stocks.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:08:15 PM

Biggest problem of investing into silver or gold or most of this kind of material things is fact that you need to keep it somewhere and it creates costs and when you buy/sell it you need middle man, and that's another cost. In US, mostly on channels like foxnews investment in gold is heavily advertised. The actual benefit of this kind of investment is rather hard to be determined. It should be safe, so does a lot of other kind of options, including super safe treasure bills, that creates bigger profit to rather stable gold price (well ok recently were weird times). Some people are afraid country they bought treasure bills from would collapse, but it could only happen at some kind of world war (I'm talking about big normal country, not South Sudan or Western Sahara) and if that would happen your gold would be useless assuming you would survive nuclear holocaust. Price of gold and silver is kind of agreement between people that this metal is actually worth something. It is shiny, you can make jewelry out of it, it works nice with electricity but that's about it. Diamonds have same problem (actually diamonds price is PR-stunt created by monopoly's but shh....). Since you find this forum you know there are certain ways of buy virtual currency that might be more useful in future. Also you can always buy Microsoft stocks.

I think that a large portion of people here enjoy the volatility because it makes their investment seem more exciting to them.   Microsoft, while probably being a solid long term blue chip stock, moves slower than a snail in comparison to cryptos at the moment...
Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:04:50 PM

Diamonds have same problem (actually diamonds price is PR-stunt created by monopoly's but shh....).

Could you elaborate on that? I know nothing about diamonds.
Tantlizbat

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 08:15:51 AM

Gold bars:
Gold bars are tangible, we can be sure they exist.
Their value will never fall to zero.
They are neither a liability nor a security.
Lower margin than bullion coins.
Low risk.

Relatively low liquidity, especially for bigger bars
Shipment, storage and insurance costs
Burglary or theft risks
davinchi
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1058

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 08:27:41 AM

Gold bars:
Low risk.

Burglary or theft risks
A friend once introduced me to a Gold company that lets people invest their money into, and according to him, you can also convert your Golds to physical form and they will send it to you. But I don’t really know if it’s true, cause I haven’t tried it. Maybe you can check it out and do more research more about it. The name is Bitgold.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 08:46:08 AM

Gold bars:
Low risk.

Burglary or theft risks
A friend once introduced me to a Gold company that lets people invest their money into, and according to him, you can also convert your Golds to physical form and they will send it to you. But I don’t really know if it’s true, cause I haven’t tried it. Maybe you can check it out and do more research more about it. The name is Bitgold.

If you're into crypto, I'd go with vaultoro.
Paul karet

Activity: 77

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 11:53:26 AM

For a complete newbie. How does one buy and sell physical gold and silver? What are the best practices?

if for me as a newbie, I want to get some bitcoin to buy gold and silver.
really01

Activity: 150
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 12:38:37 PM

To start off you should invest small amounts in safe coin. You can play Bitcoin, ETH, and a few other famous coins before diving into other coins
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: