Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:05:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S1 in a box with dryer hose  (Read 1327 times)
brush242 (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 05:20:38 PM

I'm sure with all the wild rigs out there, someone must have tried this. So, any thoughts anyone? The boxes with the S1s would be about 0.75m below the window that would be used for exhausting the heat. No kinks in hose, but two nearly 90deg bends.

Any downsides? Things to look out for? If I'm going to contribute as efficiently as I can to gloBULL warming, I want that heat outside post haste!!

Support sidehack miner development. Donations to: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pmorici

Activity: 479

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 12:24:24 AM
Last edit: April 15, 2014, 12:35:30 AM by pmorici

I'm sure with all the wild rigs out there, someone must have tried this. So, any thoughts anyone?

After this past weekend where it was 70 outside while pushing 100 in my house due to a few S1's I was thinking of doing the same thing.  Summer is going to be a real problem.

It looks like you can get an 8' length of 4" diameter flexible dryer duct from Home Depot for 10 bucks...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-4-in-x-8-ft-Dryer-Duct-PM8X73DS/100050673
btc_jumpnrl

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 12:34:42 AM

There's lots of things to consider. The outside ambient air temp. The inside air temp. The room they are in. Is there A/C inside? how many S1s? etc

You can vent the heat out the window just fine, but you'll likely need an extra fan to push/pull the air out otherwise you just made a smaller room with even less airflow than you began with. The fans are big enough to pretty much only move air through the size of the Antminer S1 and maybe a foot or two more at best. Ideally, the outside air temp should less than the temperature of the enclosed room in which the S1s resides, if not you could end up raising the ambient temperature which will raise net temps.

You'll want to seal it up nicely so that if you do have A/C you're not trying to cool the outside as well as the room. Also, you'll want to PULL the air out of the room so that the AC leaves fresh cool air for the intake. A single fan at the window attached to the exhaust hose/vent would be plenty. You just want to ensure that the air is actually be exhausted out of the room and not being trapped in the room+hose. On a dryer vent this is fine because they don't run anywhere near 24/7 and builders don't care if you're temporarily creating a sauna in your dryer room or heating your crawlspace.

If you really want to get slightly more specific for the exhaust fan you'll need, (130CFM (stock fan) x # of Antminers)*10% for losses. Going bigger on the exhaust side isn't a problem, as it'll lower the pressure in the hose, letting the intake fans work easier for the same amount of air moved.

Tips: 1H1DF3BzFF2CVhPB4psEghg4bF5VYDseBT
jimrome

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 01:34:17 AM

I'm sure with all the wild rigs out there, someone must have tried this. So, any thoughts anyone?

After this past weekend where it was 70 outside while pushing 100 in my house due to a few S1's I was thinking of doing the same thing.  Summer is going to be a real problem.

It looks like you can get an 8' length of 4" diameter flexible dryer duct from Home Depot for 10 bucks...

Why not go with 6" or 8" flex? Better match for the fan diameter.
kthejung

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:06:00 AM

Collects warm air from the back... and blows it out the dryer vent.  Make sure to get a quality inline fan from Amazon for about $70 or go with a better one if you can afford it; the cheap duct fans from Home Depot will not work well.  My mining room is manageable but still warmer than I would like since it still does not collect 100% of the warm air.  I need to come up with a case to fit over all 6 miners; may make one with plexiglass.  
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:13:34 AM

don't see how this would do anything but help as long as the piping is clean (new) you should be good to go.  Happy mining.
pmorici

Activity: 479

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:23:21 AM

Why not go with 6" or 8" flex? Better match for the fan diameter.

Do you know where I can get 6" or 8" for cheap?
brush242 (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 06:00:10 PM

After this past weekend where it was 70 outside while pushing 100 in my house due to a few S1's I was thinking of doing the same thing.  Summer is going to be a real problem.

That is what I was thinking, but I am sure there are pressure/airflow concerns with the fans.

Support sidehack miner development. Donations to: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
brush242 (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 08:46:23 PM

There's lots of things to consider. The outside ambient air temp. The inside air temp. The room they are in. Is there A/C inside? how many S1s? etc

You can vent the heat out the window just fine, but you'll likely need an extra fan to push/pull the air out otherwise you just made a smaller room with even less airflow than you began with. The fans are big enough to pretty much only move air through the size of the Antminer S1 and maybe a foot or two more at best. Ideally, the outside air temp should less than the temperature of the enclosed room in which the S1s resides, if not you could end up raising the ambient temperature which will raise net temps.

You'll want to seal it up nicely so that if you do have A/C you're not trying to cool the outside as well as the room. Also, you'll want to PULL the air out of the room so that the AC leaves fresh cool air for the intake. A single fan at the window attached to the exhaust hose/vent would be plenty. You just want to ensure that the air is actually be exhausted out of the room and not being trapped in the room+hose. On a dryer vent this is fine because they don't run anywhere near 24/7 and builders don't care if you're temporarily creating a sauna in your dryer room or heating your crawlspace.

If you really want to get slightly more specific for the exhaust fan you'll need, (130CFM (stock fan) x # of Antminers)*10% for losses. Going bigger on the exhaust side isn't a problem, as it'll lower the pressure in the hose, letting the intake fans work easier for the same amount of air moved.

I spoke too soon with my last post. Thank you for the info, I thought something similar. I've been considering that cheap tin(?) stovepipe like material that I burned my hand so badly on during a field exercise while in a GP small with the Army heater. Bastard.

Anyway, I was thinking yes, a fan at the window end, pulling, with the two fans on the ant as is. Duct taping the seams on the stovepipe stuff to hold it together, and the same at the window.

Thank you for the input!

brush242 (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 08:50:39 PM

Collects warm air from the back... and blows it out the dryer vent.  Make sure to get a quality inline fan from Amazon for about $70 or go with a better one if you can afford it; the cheap duct fans from Home Depot will not work well.  My mining room is manageable but still warmer than I would like since it still does not collect 100% of the warm air.  I need to come up with a case to fit over all 6 miners; may make one with plexiglass.

Oh hell, that's great! But you're right, a box of some sort would make all the difference.

Now a part of me is thinking cutting into an old beer cooler. You'd have to monitor the inside, of course, but that would go a long way in keeping excess radiant heat from the room.

btc_jumpnrl

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 12:01:56 AM

Some cheap high-gauge sheet metal would work just fine. The same stuff that the ducts are made of. The S1s even have nice edges from the metal mounts to flush up against. Any supply store that has heating/ac equipment should carry it and sheet metal is pretty cheap and bends super easy. It also can cut your hands super easy. Duct tape corners and hard edges. 

4" and 6" duct are pretty common sizes. Depending on your location one size may be easier to find major accessories for than the other without going to a specialty Heating/AC store.

Another thought is for like an extra $10 you might be able to get a specialty Heating/AC store to pre-bend a plenum for you if you give them the rough dimensions. Or you could just oversize (incase you get more S1s) and go with an off-the-shelf size. Make sure its not one with insulation on the inside. Or you'll have to rip it out so you're S1s don't catch on fire.

Tips: 1H1DF3BzFF2CVhPB4psEghg4bF5VYDseBT
brush242 (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 07:27:49 PM

Ah, brilliant, I didn't know that they would do that. I'm going to have to check that out.  Thank you.

Now, where are my tin snips...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: