Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:33:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-09-04] Is the future of Bitcoin in ETF?  (Read 270 times)
Sutters Mill

Activity: 976
Merit: 575

Cryptophile at large

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 12:38:10 PM

Hell no. ETFs are only financial instruments which are beneficial to institutional investors and the like.

In no way shape or form are they of any use to the average Joe using bitcoin. The only effect would be the hype created by an approval (which seems extremely unlikely at this stage with SEC continuously rejecting and delaying decisions) which could potentially push prices up in the short term.

There is no long term future to speak of in bitcoin that is held in bitcoin ETFs, that is just stuff made up by media. The SEC is making a judgment on a financial product, not bitcoin itself, remember that.

Don't you think that people often think about Bitcoin as an investment and not a currency? I have seen many people (hodlers mostly) who believe that cryptocurrency is for an investment, they hope for the future rise and profit. But originally, Bitcoin was created as a currency, as an everyday use tool. By looking at this situation, I think lots of people will be excited to have Bitcoin ETFs, just for the investment plans.

I know it's an arguable subject, whether it's necessary for Bitcoin to have an ETF or not, but this thing is demanded all over the world. Changing or maybe transforming the Bitcoin infrastructure.

It's nice to know your opinion about this.

We can't stop people from using it how they want, but there's no reason why it can't be both a currency and investment. Saving money should give you interest over time and that's how bitcoin is designed so the less comes into existence as time goes by, as opposed to fiat where more and more gets printed which devalues everybody else cash. If you want to use your bitcoins for payment for goods and services then you can, but those that want to hold it as a (potential) investment can also do so.
BitForx (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2018, 07:23:49 AM

Don't you think that people often think about Bitcoin as an investment and not a currency?

That's okay I guess, as long as the balance is healthy enough.

In all cases, the majority of the fiat in circulation isn't being utilized as money, but rather as investment. The reason fiat has value is because we need and use it as money, and we need it to invest in other assets. It's a 2-way utility factor that makes fiat so useful, even though its value depreciates consistently throughout the years.

Bitcoin does everything fiat does in that regard, except for the fact that with Bitcoin you aren't dealing with long term value depreciation.

The current generation of "investors" are lunatics and parasites that we'll eventually get rid of. Smart money will shake the last few satoshis out of their pockets.

Haha, I like your observation and predictions about current "investors". There's only one thing I want you to ask now, do you think that Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies will outlive fiat and eventually replace all the currencies and we'll use cryptocurrencies in everyday financial activities? And if so, why?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: