Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 04:56:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If Mtgox ends up being bankrupt, is there a benefit to having cash v. btc?  (Read 791 times)
dynodog (OP)

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 04:11:39 AM

Seems like those with bitcoin at mtgox are hitting the bid even though it's around 40% less than bitstamp.  Wondering what the benefit is to be a creditor of mtgox in the form of a cash balance instead of a bitcoin balance (in the event mtgox is broke)?  Clearly someone thinks there's a benefit to have a cash balance vs a bitcoin balance bc if mtgox says withdrawals are now permitted those people selling now will end up having incurred significant losses.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 04:51:53 AM

Seems like those with bitcoin at mtgox are hitting the bid even though it's around 40% less than bitstamp.  Wondering what the benefit is to be a creditor of mtgox in the form of a cash balance instead of a bitcoin balance (in the event mtgox is broke)?  Clearly someone thinks there's a benefit to have a cash balance vs a bitcoin balance bc if mtgox says withdrawals are now permitted those people selling now will end up having incurred significant losses.

I contemplated this 6 months ago when Mt. Gox was looking pretty shaky to me and choose to remove half of my BTC and convert the other half to cash and try to get it wired.  At that time I figured that I'd have an easier time collecting fiat than BTC if it came to needing to attempt the feat through legal channels.

It is also the case that I am a U.S. citizen and my government appropriated $5M which should be kicking around somewhere.  I very much anticipated the need to make a grab for a piece of that.  I probably would not have tried to get any fiat from Mt. Gox at all but for this potential fall-back option.

BTW, it was exactly 6 months ago that I made exchange sales (in one shot) and requested a $5k wire.  Mt. Gox support claimed that they were anticipating progress in several weeks.  They claimed that several times.  I've not received the wire yet.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: