Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:54:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sourcing bitcoins  (Read 1642 times)
hannelore (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 05:11:47 PM

What are the easiest ways to anonymously get bitcoins to start trading in in the first place? I know I can go through a trade exchange, but then I have to give them my paypal/bank account/blah details, and I'd rather not do that.

I'm wondering:

how traceable are virtual credit cards?

can I buy bitcoins for cash (EUR or GBP) anywhere?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 05:19:15 PM

The best advice i can give you that way is to sell some form of good or service for the bitcoins, wether it be a preloaded giftcard you send a code or mail or something physical you have to ship to the purchaser.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
hannelore (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 05:31:01 PM

How traceable are giftcodes? Say I sold an Amazon voucher, that's got to be traceable back to my Amazon account, hasn't it?

On the other hand, if I bought an Amazon voucher on ebay, then used that voucher to buy bitcoins, it's a little less traceable because there's one more layer of obfuscation, but I imagine it's still traceable.

What level of traceability do others here find acceptable?
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 05:41:06 PM

How traceable are giftcodes? Say I sold an Amazon voucher, that's got to be traceable back to my Amazon account, hasn't it?

On the other hand, if I bought an Amazon voucher on ebay, then used that voucher to buy bitcoins, it's a little less traceable because there's one more layer of obfuscation, but I imagine it's still traceable.

What level of traceability do others here find acceptable?

It honestly depends on what you're selling/buying and who you are. but if you were to go to a local store and purchase a code in person using cash it's untracable outside of your actual transaction (i send an email with the code ect.) If you sell something physical well there's the actuall postal transaction unless you meet in person and then there's still an email record.  but really if you're not doing anything massivly illegal there is a point at which any effort to remain anonymous becomes wasted, considering that your client can generate new addresses upon demand you don't ever need to send coins from where they were recived and in many cases that intself is even overkill

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 06:18:55 PM

Obtaining them anonymously is a bit difficult unless you know people you can meet with in person for cash.  If you know Silk Road, some people sell Bitcoins there for cash precisely for anonymity purposes.

Perhaps a better strategy is to obscure the source of the coins once you obtain them. Use instawallet.org or similar, and send between accounts multiple times over days or weeks, using the "green address". Vary the quantities sent each time.
hannelore (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 06:25:39 PM

Ah, that's a good idea. I'll check SR...

I'm really more curious about the theroreticals of this: both the question:

what level of traceability do people consider acceptable for x purpose?

and

to what extent does x company selling x currency (giftcodes, disposable visa cards) save the serial numbers of those items against the transaction number with the info of the purchaser?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 06:37:49 PM

What are the easiest ways to anonymously get bitcoins

Not particularly "easy" or "quick", but if anonymity is your goal:
 - http://mndrix.blogspot.com/2011/09/easily-anonymous-bitcoins.html

In-person for cash is one method of buying bitcoins without giving out any identity.  There are several services:
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:Local

Perhaps there are other methods here:
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Buying_bitcoins

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

hannelore (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 08:34:17 PM

I suppose it's worth noting there are no cash for BTC offers on SR at the moment.
GamingG

Activity: 57

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 08:50:23 PM

There are a few services (such as Bitcoins 4 Cash) that allow you to buy Bitcoins by sending cash in the mail.
hannelore (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 09:11:42 PM

GamingG, I haven't come across one yet that's a) in the UK and b) has a good reputation in these communities.
hannelore (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 09:12:56 PM

Stephen Gornick, that mndrix link is interesting, thank-you.
MaxSan

Activity: 369

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 08:13:57 PM

il do bitcoins for a bank deposit. want a pretty decent markup on it tho.

we can start of small to build trust. or if depending on your location can meet in person if you prefer
JohnRetardKeynes

Activity: 13

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 12:13:48 PM

What are the easiest ways to anonymously get bitcoins to start trading in in the first place? I know I can go through a trade exchange, but then I have to give them my paypal/bank account/blah details, and I'd rather not do that.

You could create your own bitcoins - mining. But takes fair amount of investment and even then it will take a while to generate any.

Or you could start selling things in bitcoins - drugs are good because most people understand that their dealer isn't going to show them his passport as ID when selling them.

I kill two birds with one stone and have my bitcoin mining operation in my meth lab as both require hefty ventilation.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 02:34:08 PM

What about buying in person with cash? There are several services that help you meet local people to buy/sell. Just meet at a coffee shop. No one needs to say their name.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2011, 02:41:11 PM

You know... I have had anonymous letters show up with nothing more than cash and a bitcoin address.  Never been a serious amount (always < $100) but I have always made good on it and sent bitcoins at the then-current price.  I have a locked mailbox.

So in case it's of interest... 2901 Little Cottonwood Rd, Sandy, UT 84092...

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Nyaaan

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 09:45:23 AM

Buy Visa Gift Cards for cash at a gas station or something. Make sure they aren't locked to an address or zip code or something. Stay away from cameras. Anonymous enough.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 10:12:41 AM

I'm wondering:

see my sig.

-
payb.tc

Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 10:28:10 AM

I'm wondering:

see my sig.

it's a nice image, vladimir, but it doesn't link anywhere.
Vladimir

Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 02:56:07 PM

it's a nice image, vladimir, but it doesn't link anywhere.

LOL, it is what fixing all the bugs during last night before the launch makes to people. Brainfart is fixed and image is linked. Thank You.

Click away!

-
saltg3n

Activity: 17

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 06:30:15 PM

Another alternative would be to buy with Ukash or Paysafecards which you can obtain anonymously at i.e. gas stations.

It seems like btc-e.com is accepting Ukash and virwox.com Paysafecards. Then send them to your Instawallet, Strongcoin or local BC client always whilst connected through tor or better a vpn + tor.

Although fees could be a killer...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: