Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:58:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: small home asic farm still in progress  (Read 2512 times)
dutchlincoln (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 30

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 05:48:33 PM
Last edit: June 04, 2018, 10:50:55 PM by frodocooper
Merited by suchmoon (7), dbshck (3), frodocooper (3), OgNasty (1), Bitminer1224 (1)

Hi all,

Today i finished most of the work on my new mini-farm.
I thought i'd share it here, in order to bring other people on good ideas.
I just took the effort to transfer th pictures to my email, put in a folder, upload, adjust size, and upload to forum. Its quite a task, and now the pics are turned 90 degree, so please rotate your head or monitor please  Grin Grin

I will edit and add more text while i upload this.

The story:

Last year i started to mine with innosilicon miners that i bought secondhand. This was so profitable, i bought another 4 sets.
I started to read about mining, bitmain, etcetera. I sold my Innosilicon's A4's with good profit and ordered 7 S9's at Bitmain.
In the waiting process, bitcoin rose and rose and rose, and i had nothing to mine with! So i bougt 4 S9's on the market for more money (yes, i roi'd.) (man.. these things were loud!)
My barn started to heat up, and the messy way they were situated irritated me, so at first, i bought a big most silent roof fan that i could find. It had a capacity of 4000 cubic meters an hour. This meant that when it was running, i couldn't open the door of my barn! Clearly i had to make an opeining for fresh air inlet, which i did.

I bought me a 19"rack, and started preparations for the arrival of the 7 S9's.
I insulated the whole rack, and made a hot outlet divider in it. I had the big roof fan connected to the top, and fres air came from below and front.
Result is shown in the first pictures.
Miners arrived, and were added.Weather was quite cold, approx. arount 0 centigrade. A tad noisy, but it was okay.

This worked great, until temps started to rise, and i had to speed up the roof fan, and sometimes had the front door a tad open to let more fresh air in.
Neighbors started to talk to me if the noise could be down during the night, which i did, monitoring with awesome miner.

Then i got it:a big fridge! Totally insulated itself, so adding some sound reducing on the inside should do it!
I bought 10 plates of 8cm (approx 3 inches) thick, and started to insulate the inside. (for the record, the space where thefridge is situated, i insulated the walls and floor as well; the fridge is placed on it)
Fridge cooler has been removed.
Then i started to build a custom fit shelf for the miners. See pic.

Today, i transferred the miners to their new habitat Smiley
As i need to redo power and network, and place the PDU's in the new undercome, things look a bit messy right now. I will make it nice coming weeks, i promise Smiley

First results: incredibly better cooling (the shelf sits approx. 20cm / 8 inches from the back, and top left there's a big hole with a flange to the rooftop fan. It sucks away the hot air and does a perfect job in that.

I have Sonoconnect hose to replace current suction hose, and to make a forced air intake to the cold side if the fridge. I intend to make them temperature controlled, and pressure-difference controlled as regards to the intake.

Any tips or advises?

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dutchlincoln (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 10:02:01 AM

well, its in my backyard, so BBQ is 10ft away from them.

i have to say that the fridge solution works great. 15 miners, and they are really silent. I could have used this in my house itself if i wanted to, so definately its a superb basement-solution as well.

profit...

hm... Lets change subject, okay... ?  Roll Eyes
imine4coins

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 02:52:12 AM

well, its in my backyard, so BBQ is 10ft away from them.

i have to say that the fridge solution works great. 15 miners, and they are really silent. I could have used this in my house itself if i wanted to, so definately its a superb basement-solution as well.

profit...

hm... Lets change subject, okay... ?  Roll Eyes

How's the weather and what are the temperatures of your S9?

What part of the world R U in?
dutchlincoln (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 03:45:42 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2018, 11:53:57 PM by frodocooper

How's the weather and what are the temperatures of your S9?

What part of the world R U in?

Europe.

Today its about 25-27 centigrade.
Awesomeminer gives average of 80 degrees. some 77, some 82.
All s9.
A3 runs quite hot. About 93 deg.
In evening and night it drops to 20 degrees. Miners are around 70 centigrade then.
dutchlincoln (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 09:02:25 AM

Soon will be adding 3 more mining friends, making the total 18  Cheesy 2 weeks delivery.. ugh...  Tongue
dutchlincoln (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 09:53:10 PM

Make a the solar system.

sun doesn't shine at night...  Cheesy
dutchlincoln (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 08:31:11 AM

solar power is useless if it comes to mining....(unless you have a big barn/shed where you can put 100's on...)

electricity i dont know exactly, as we pay for a year. itavearges on 20cents/kwh (eur's)
Profitable? Not at the moment.... But i have big claws that stick deep into the tree the're shaking right now, so i don't intend to fall out.

At the end is profability a no brainer. If you just keep your coins (read: are able to pay your electric from your income), its just a matter of time. Profitability can only be calculated at the point you exchange your coins... So, if you need to exchange them every moth to pay your bills, its not profitable. If you can pey all your bills, hold your coins, and exchange them when they reach a new ATH, you're doing great... And the last is myintention.  Wink
dutchlincoln (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 06:29:55 PM

Genious or crazy? The fridge could be a good idea for temperatures, however cold/hot would create some humidity problems

WHO says im using the fridge to cool it?
I use the 4 inches thick laminated walls and sealed 4 inches thick door as a perfect insulated box with cold (environment) air blow in compartment, and hot (back side of miners) suck out compartment with a rooftop fan, used in restaurants and industry... Smiley
dutchlincoln (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 07:19:31 AM

Hello there, it's looking great what you have there. i also want to mine soon but i have a question for you. how to get somuch power u needed for. i live in a simple house i think i got 3x25a coming in the house. need some for dryer/washer tv etc so how many s9 can attached to powernetwork at home u think. is it profitable if i buy lets say 2 of them i see they are around 600 euro each. what should be the earnings at yearly bases i have. i have also 20ct kwh.

Hi, at 20 cents/kwh, you should at least make what you use, so 1,1kw/h makes 22cents an hour. At 24 hours it has to make roughly 5,5 euro's a day to break even, and thats the point we're at right now.
Its up to your belief if the coins rise, and if you can pre-pay the used electricity yourself, in order to cash in at the new ATH and make a bigger profit over your mining-time. Remember: the only thing that counts for mining, is the point you choose to transfer your coins into fiat. Then, and only then, you can determine if your mining was profitable. All the other theories are just what they say: theories...

About the power: if you have 3x25A, wich is very common, you can at least use 3 miners, maybe 6 if you plan well. You can upgrade to at least 3x35, and if you are really serious, you can ask for even more.

So yes, it is doable.

dont forget heat, ventilation, sound, and neighbors!
dutchlincoln (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 03:31:40 PM

Why don't you add Innosilicon & Antminer Z9 mini to your farm ? Z9 uses 300 watt with 10,000 Sol/s and A9 zenmaster uses 620 watt with 50,000 Sols/sec. It will give you good return and you'll be able to breakeven faster making good profits. If we look at your cost it will be 6 cents & 13.5 cents perhour yielding greta deal of profit

yyyyyes, well the A3 that i bought a few months ago, has made up til now approx. 40.000 sia. Still not enough to break-even...
The L3+ that i bought for 2250 euro's, is making me currently approx. 6 euro's a week... Still not enough to break-even...
I was having bad luck that turned to good luck, by at the end not buying a D3....

So, now i would try it AGAIN with a Z9?

Sorry, no faith that it would even break even, as hashrate will skyrocket when everyone turns their machine on...
I have thought about it, but i would only do so with a nice coupon, to have the first half for free. 400 buck plus shipping might be worth the gamble.

I regret that i was in doubt with the E3 when it was $800 in the beginning. Right now, i think it is way overpriced.

300 watts sounds delicious by the way... Smiley I don't have much power left in the cables.... Cool
mgoz

Activity: 265
Merit: 232

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 06:44:47 PM

So, now i would try it AGAIN with a Z9?

First batch is still making $25-30+/day. Later batches might be worth the gamble since Zcash isn't forking.
dutchlincoln (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 07:25:19 PM

ps.

today i pulled a new 3 phase cable of 10 sq mm. (no idea of gauge) from my shed to my main fuse box.
I have bought a 40 Kva UPS 2 weeks ago for a bargain.
Installed a new fusebox on the fridge with 6x 32amps breaker for 6 PDU distributions. Also a 125amps mains breaker, and 2x 16amps 3 phase groups.
Still need some extra 16A groups for 16A pdu of the servers, switch(es), and gpu miners.
i'll post pics when im done  Grin

dutchlincoln (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 09:59:30 AM

nice setup you got there Grin

Thanks!   Compliments Always appreciated...  Wink
dutchlincoln (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 07:03:28 PM
Last edit: August 09, 2018, 12:15:40 AM by frodocooper

Hello all, i have a question to you.

As you can see in the pictures, i have a hot and a cold side.
Hot side is sucked by a rooftop fan of approx. 4000 cubic meters/hour.
Cold side is ambient air pushed in by a silent boxfan of approximately 5000 cubic meters/hour. (currently 28-29 degrees celcius)

Past few weeks the door (cold side) was not hermetically closed as my powersupply cables still ran through it.
Temps: some were quite hot during these hot days; 2 or three going to mid/high 90 degree celcius, but most of them stayed mid to high 80's.

Now, i as good as finalised my project today and closed the door.

Strange thing happened: all temperatures equalised within a few degrees, and all were low 90's...

Now, where previously i had max. differences up to 15 degrees, biggest difference is 3 degrees now...

Can i conclude that there isnt enough airflow?

What exactly does a 120mm fan of bitmain? Preferrably in cubic meters/hour?

Any suggestions to lower the temps?

im thinking about a large intercooler in the inblown air and have well-water flow through it. Should cool it off during the hot days also...? (i have a small water well with a hydrofore pump...)
corporategod

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2018, 12:10:50 AM
Last edit: September 01, 2018, 12:35:21 AM by frodocooper

I like the fridge as an insulated box idea, but are you sure that it won't just heat up and hold the hot instead of the cold? Heat usually wins. My experience from stuff like this is that at first everything works fine but after a while the cards get hotter and hotter and eventually begin to heat up the surroundings. It might work great, since you can eliminate outside factors such as room temperature, but have you tested it for an extended period of time?

Looking at your pics i would get rid of the thicks pieces of wood and use the bare minimum to hold each unit. maybe even wire hangers. the wood will heat up and spread the heat and also limit the amout of air flow. so maybe get some metal wire hangers or large zip ties and rig a system to hold the miners in suspended in the air not flushed against a flooring.

when the heat is concentrated it tends to spread and become harder to manage because its surrounded by itself. like a house on fire you have to get to the inside of it before you can put it out. i would do both as well as make sure that the air supply i'm feeding is cool.

thats why you see open air setups because yes keeping them encased allows you to control the environment but it also traps it in. common sense with a computer is air in bad oout and keep it all nice and tight. however we're talking extreme heat here..... i've literally turned the tempetaure in my room to 115degrees because of mining. fan would not lower the temperature. only a/c would work and not well when you have that much heat coming out of something.

its an endless battle trust me. just get used to it not being as cool as you want it  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: