Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:12:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Supreme Court pick Brett Kavanaugh  (Read 13327 times)
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 05:28:38 AM

What a shocking development Kavanaugh accuser is now refusing to testify in front of the senate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45568450
"The woman who accuses Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of attempting to rape her will not testify to the Senate next week, says her lawyer."

HAHAHA whats shocking is that the women has basically gone into hiding because she is receiving death threats and being generally abused by right wing nut jobs.  They are scaring a potential victim and trying to pervert the sanctity of the highest court in the land. If the right was trying to make the public feel more sorry for her they just accomplished their mission!!!

By the way can one of you guys that think this is a dem set up tell me why someone controlling such a set up mission would place Kavanaugh's buddy in the room with them by Dr. Fords admission?  I mean if it wasn't true and you're making this up why in the name of fuck would you place the perps buddy in the room and give him a chance to corroborate Kavanaugh's denial...  Surely you would go ahead and make it just him and her or even make sure there was a girlfriend near that saw her run out of the room or something or a girlfriend she told it to in confidence.

Also the lie detector corroborates her story.  I can't wait to hear the right say how bad lie detectors are but when they want to find the fucking snitch for the op ed piece they talk about lie detector tests hahahaha.

Thankfully the right picked the wrong guy this time and the left didn't drop the ball!  McConnell even told Trump he would have a major problem ramming Kavanaugh through Senate with his long paper trail but as usual Trump is too stupid to understand simple logic and is desperate to get a nom in that believes in ultimate executive power!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinCube
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 06:05:10 AM
Merited by Quickseller (3)

The Charges Against Judge Kavanaugh Should Be Ignored
https://townhall.com/columnists/dennisprager/2018/09/18/the-charges-against-judge-kavanaugh-should-be-ignored-n2519986
Quote from: Dennis Prager

It is almost impossible to overstate the damage done to America's moral compass by taking the charges leveled against Judge Brett Kavanaugh seriously.

It undermines foundational moral principles of any decent society.

Those who claim the charges against Judge Kavanaugh by Christine Blasey Ford are important and worth investigating, and that they ultimately, if believed, invalidate his candidacy for the U.S. Supreme Court are stating that:

a) What a middle-aged adult did in high school is all we need to know to evaluate an individual's character -- even when his entire adult life has been impeccable.

b) No matter how good and moral a life one has led for 10, 20, 30, 40 or even 50 years, it is nullified by a sin committed as teenager.

No decent -- or rational -- society has ever believed such nihilistic nonsense.

This is another example of the moral chaos sown by secularism and the left. In any society rooted in Judeo-Christian values, it is understood that people should be morally assessed based on how they behave over the course of their lifetime -- early behavior being the least important period in making such an assessment.

These religious values taught us that all of us are sinners and, therefore, with the exception of those who have engaged in true evil, we need to be very careful in making moral evaluations of human beings.

And, of course, we were taught to extend forgiveness when people demonstrate through their actions that they have changed. As a well-known ancient Jewish adage put it: "Where the penitent stands, the most righteous cannot stand."

In other words, the highest moral achievement is moral improvement.

Perhaps the most important principle violated by taking this 36-year-old high school-era charge seriously is the principle of the moral bank account.

Every one of us has a moral bank account. Our good deeds are deposits, and our bad deeds are withdrawals. We therefore assess a person the same way we assess our bank account. If our good actions outweigh our bad actions, we are morally in the black; if our bad actions greatly outweigh our good actions, we are morally in the red.

By all accounts -- literally all -- Brett Kavanaugh's moral bank account is way in the black. He has led a life of decency, integrity, commitment to family and commitment to community few Americans can match. On these grounds alone, the charges against him as a teenager should be ignored.

So, why is this charge taken seriously?

One reason is, as I recently wrote, the greatest fear in America is fear of the left -- the fear of what the left will do to you if you cross it. Not fear of God. Not fear of doing wrong. Fear of the left. Offend the left and you will lose your reputation and, quite often, your job or your business.

Another reason is pure, amoral, demagogic politics. No honest American of any political persuasion believes that if a woman were to charge a Democrat-appointed judge such as Merrick Garland with doing to her 36 years ago in high school what Brett Kavanaugh is charged with having done 36 years ago in high school, the Democratic Party and the media would be demanding the confirmation vote be delayed or the candidate withdraw.

In sum, I am not interested in whether Mrs. Ford, an anti-Trump activist, is telling the truth. Because even if true, what happened to her was clearly wrong, but it tells us nothing about Brett Kavanaugh since the age of 17. But for the record, I don't believe her story. Aside from too many missing details -- most women remember virtually everything about the circumstances of a sexual assault no matter how long ago -- few men do what she charges Kavanaugh with having done only one time. And no other woman has ever charged him with any sexual misconduct.

Do not be surprised if a future Republican candidate for office or judicial nominee -- no matter how exemplary a life he has led -- is accused of sexual misconduct ... from when he was in elementary school.

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1365

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 06:17:45 PM

Accusations against Judge Kavanaugh begin to crumble as truth about his Left-wing accuser revealed

Recently, Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee turned Judge Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court confirmation hearings into a chaotic joke, interrupting Chairman Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, with out-of-order demands, inane commentary, and a general lack of decorum.

They were assisted in their disruptions by far-Left agitators who screamed and yelled so violently at times that some were dragged out by security, while Kavanaugh's young daughters, on hand to see their father grilled, had to be led out of the hearing room to safety.

What has Democrats so exercised (besides their increasingly unhinged Left-wing base) is their minority status and their belief that he will form a SCOTUS majority that will someday overturn the monumental Roe v. Wade decision, the 1973 ruling that legalized the murder of babies in all 50 states under the guise of "civil rights."

As the minority party, Democrats knew they couldn't stop Kavanaugh's eventual seating on the high court, as all Republicans and a few of their own (who are up for reelection in red states that POTUS Donald Trump won) were going to support his confirmation.

Out of time and out of options, they appear to have concocted a wild tale to smear Kavanaugh with sexual abuse allegations from an "anonymous" woman who claimed he nearly raped her 35 years ago while both were in high school.

The charges

Late last week, after the hearings had closed and the committee was preparing to vote, Sen. Dianne Feinstein crawled out from under a rock and dropped a bombshell: She says she obtained a letter earlier this summer from a Democratic House colleague, who had been sent it from an "anonymous" female source.

"I have received information from an individual concerning the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court," Feinstein said in a statement. "That individual strongly requested confidentiality, declined to come forward or press the matter further, and I have honored that decision. I have, however, referred the matter to federal investigative authorities."

The FBI has since refused to investigate.

However, the writer of the letter alleged Kavanaugh engaged in sexual misconduct – that he attempted to violate her during a party in a locked room while a friend of his looked on when they were all in high school.

Democrats Demand Documents On Kavanaugh, But They Passed Obamacare Blind

https://www.real.video/embed/5830769301001

Read more at https://www.naturalnews.com/2018-09-18-accusations-against-judge-kavanaugh-begin-to-crumble.html.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
CoinCube
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 07:49:44 PM

I continue to be shocked shocked I tell you as more damming "evidence" keeps surfacing.

Accuser's schoolmate says she recalls hearing of alleged Kavanaugh incident
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna911111
WASHINGTON — A former schoolmate of Brett Kavanaugh’s accuser wrote a Facebook post saying she recalls hearing about the alleged assault involving Kavanaugh, though she says she has no first-hand information to corroborate the accuser’s claims.

"Christine Blasey Ford was a year or so behind me," wrote the woman, Cristina Miranda King, who now works as a performing arts curator in Mexico City. "I did not know her personally but I remember her. This incident did happen."

She added, "Many of us heard a buzz about it indirectly with few specific details. However Christine's vivid recollection should be more than enough for us to truly, deeply know that the accusation is true."

Never mind the fact that the accuser stated that she never told anyone about this until 2012. Minor details minor details.

I look forward to other memories being jogged over the next few days. If I were running this show I would have my best people approach all of the accusers high school classmates and encourage them by asking them if they can remember something anything to stop this "evil" republican man from getting on the Supreme Court. I would also make sure the accuser did not testify in the Senate but appeared instead on a friendly media outlet where the questions were given in advance.

This is what happens when a society or at least a significant portion of it abandons truth in pursuit of power.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2018, 07:57:58 PM

This whole #metoo movement from day one was a political ploy. First to distract from the worst (and most connected) offenders to political opponents. If you notice this all started happening when a bunch of pedo rings started getting busted.

It is going to backfire. Some how people resent lying about rape in an attempt to sandbag your political opponents while covering up for actual child abusers, and it is getting pretty transparent. IMO we could maybe do better than Kavanugh, but we could also do A LOT worse very easily.
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 08:52:31 PM
Merited by Foxpup (2)

I continue to be shocked shocked I tell you as more damming "evidence" keeps surfacing.

Accuser's schoolmate says she recalls hearing of alleged Kavanaugh incident
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna911111
WASHINGTON — A former schoolmate of Brett Kavanaugh’s accuser wrote a Facebook post saying she recalls hearing about the alleged assault involving Kavanaugh, though she says she has no first-hand information to corroborate the accuser’s claims.

"Christine Blasey Ford was a year or so behind me," wrote the woman, Cristina Miranda King, who now works as a performing arts curator in Mexico City. "I did not know her personally but I remember her. This incident did happen."

She added, "Many of us heard a buzz about it indirectly with few specific details. However Christine's vivid recollection should be more than enough for us to truly, deeply know that the accusation is true."

Never mind the fact that the accuser stated that she never told anyone about this until 2012. Minor details minor details.
You guys are so awesome at how you can ignore simple things.  Here's one for you Dr. Ford claimed she didn't tell anyone and if you ignore the fact that there were 3 people in the room then it would seem unlikely anyone else would know about it.  BUT since there was supposedly 3 people in the room isn't it at least possible that the 3rd person (Judge) may have told one of their friends about it, perhaps in a moment of regret being part of it or bragging he stopped it.  Isn't also possible that Kavanaugh himself bragged about to his buddies or lamented about it to a friend in sincerity or while drunk again some other time.  See this is how stories make it around.

What a ridiculous, statement to make that just because someone else remembers hearing a story about it that some how instantly makes the accuser less credible.

Can one of you geniuses that assume this is a made up plot by the left explain to me why Dr. Ford placed 2 other witness in the room with her at the time, why did she give Kavanaugh such an easy way to corroborate his story with his old buddy.

I mean she could have said there were 2 others in the room because that's true and maybe shes hoping Judge would do the right thing.  Or if this was a set up job why have Judge in the room.  Judge has denied it so it's not like hes a dem plant otherwise they would have something on him and forced him to agree with her.

Come on republicans you have got to do better than that if you want to crack this set up hahaha.  Dems got you good on this one, see ya later Kavahaugh bye bye nomination!

CoinCube
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 09:43:30 PM
Last edit: September 19, 2018, 10:03:58 PM by CoinCube
Merited by Quickseller (1)

Come on republicans you have got to do better than that if you want to crack this set up hahaha.  Dems got you good on this one, see ya later Kavahaugh bye bye nomination!

She is making a life destroying accusation against an individual who by all other accounts has led an impeccable life. She has offered no concrete evidence other then her word. She has so far refused the opportunity to state her accusations in public or in private in front of the US senate which has rearranged its schedule for the sole purpose of hearing from her. Furthermore she has a history of political activism for the Democratic Party.

Maybe you are right, however,  and a simple accusation alone will be enough to destroy Kavahaugh. That would say a lot about the state of our country today.

Honestly I don't think this is going to turn out well for the Democrats. Too may people on both sides of the political aisle still value truth, justice, and the presumption of innocence over the exercise of raw power and unprovable allegations.

eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 10:24:55 PM
Merited by Flying Hellfish (2)

If you are ultra-conservative sure their are some things you can nitpick him for but he is still a strong constitutionalist ultimately..

If we were discussing a hillary pick right now I would probably be terrified of the loss of my 1A and 2A rights..

I don't much care about abortion but because of the way leftists seem to be so flippant and degenerate about abortion and their pro-abortion propaganda, it pushes me anti-abortion just to spite them..

The right to free speech and the right to defend our country against tyranny VS abortion...
Hmmm...

I hope trump stacks that court DEEP!!

It is afterall, about the most important part of our government, the scotus..

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 11:23:24 PM
Last edit: September 22, 2018, 05:15:26 AM by Flying Hellfish
Merited by Foxpup (2)

She is making a life destroying accusation against an individual who by all other accounts has led an impeccable life.

Life destroying???  You certainly have a flair for the dramatic.  It is by no means a life destroying accusation.  It will not land him in any criminal trouble (for pretty obvious reasons), he won't lose his current bench because of it.  MAYBE the accusation costs him his seat on the SC but just being a nom is not a guarantee of a position anyways.  This is hardly life destroying...

She has offered no concrete evidence other then her word.
Quite untrue, she has offered quite a number of pieces of corroborating evidence outside of her word.  You denying them doesn't make them less real.

She has so far refused the opportunity to state her accusations in public or in private in front of the US senate which has rearranged its schedule for the sole purpose of hearing from her.

Careful now you're in danger of making more incorrect statements.  AFAIK she has stated (a sentiment echoed by anyone else wanting truth...) she would like to wait until the FBI can further investigate the issue before deciding to talk with the senate or not.  Gee I mean if you were actually seeking the truth wouldn't you want to have the FBI report on the incident, like after they talked to Judge UNDER OATH and checked out the women in Mexico's story?  Or is getting a conservative rammed through the senate more important than allowing US law enforcement to do their job...  Oh I forgot the FBI is a Dem honey pot right? LOLOLOL

Why would someone lying WANT the FBI to investigate it?  Why would the Republicans want to bypass the process of finding out the truth the best way we can and hold the vote ASAP

Furthermore she has a history of political activism for the Democratic Party.

So did Trump whats this have to do with whether or not the women was almost raped...

Maybe you are right, however,  and a simple accusation alone will be enough to destroy Kavahaugh. That would say a lot about the state of our country today.

This place if full of drama lama's it is far from a simple accusation despite your persistence's otherwise and it will hardly destroy Kavanaugh You simply can't be sure with all the other issues that Murkowski and Harris were voting for him anyways.  He just might have been sunk before all of this. He was historically the least popular SCOTUS nominee in American history prior to this allegation...

Honestly I don't think this is going to turn out well for the Democrats. Too may people on both sides of the political aisle still value truth, justice, and the presumption of innocence over the exercise of raw power and unprovable allegations.

LOL ya right both sides of the political aisle only care about their side of the aisle don't be so naive.  The republicans are trying desperately to stack the SC and the dems are trying desperately to stop that from happening until they can do the stacking...  The only reason Murkowski and Collins were thinking of breaking the party line on this vote before is the abortion issue and the importance of that 1 issue to their personal political careers IE the women in their states that voted for them...  Otherwise it would have almost surely been a full partly line vote.  The dems knew this and targeted those 2 women so hard, you can be sure the republicans were doing the same behind closed doors.
CoinCube
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 12:40:37 AM

LOL ya right both sides of the political aisle only care about their side of the aisle don't be so naive.  The republicans are trying desperately to stack the SC and the dems are trying desperately to stop that from happening until they can do the stacking...  The only reason Murkowski and Harris were thinking of breaking the party line on this vote before is the abortion issue and the importance of that 1 issue to their personal political careers IE the women in their states that voted for them...  Otherwise it would have almost surely been a full partly line vote.  The dems knew this and targeted those 2 women so hard, you can be sure the republicans were doing the same behind closed doors.

Well Flying Hellfish I don't think we are going to see eye to eye on this one.

We could debate whether the accusation of attempted rape is life destroying or not or whether it is appropriate for an accuser to demand the FBI investigation of their accusation before they are  willing to testify but I don't see much point to that.

I do believe that the majority of Americans care deeply about fairness and truth over political power and posturing. Am I naive? Perhaps time will tell.

I would suggest not getting your hopes too high, however, Kavanaugh's likely to be narrowly confirmed, Republicans are likely to hold the Senate and given the age of the current Justices I would not be surprised if Trump gets a third SC nomination in his first term.

Relevant Video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AriOjUfbBrw&t=188s

Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 01:14:14 AM

LOL ya right both sides of the political aisle only care about their side of the aisle don't be so naive.  The republicans are trying desperately to stack the SC and the dems are trying desperately to stop that from happening until they can do the stacking...  The only reason Murkowski and Harris were thinking of breaking the party line on this vote before is the abortion issue and the importance of that 1 issue to their personal political careers IE the women in their states that voted for them...  Otherwise it would have almost surely been a full partly line vote.  The dems knew this and targeted those 2 women so hard, you can be sure the republicans were doing the same behind closed doors.

Well Flying Hellfish I don't think we are going to see eye to eye on this one.

We could debate whether the accusation of attempted rape is life destroying or not

You're so worried about Kavanaugh's life being destroyed yet what about the vitcims life IF the allegations are true her life is far more "destroyed" but the right who speaks about wanting the truth already made up their minds without allowing the FBI to do their duty without an actual investigation...  The president is so concerned about the truth I still haven't seen the WH issue the direction to the FBI to do it's job.

Dr. Ford is under no obligation to talk to the senate committee moral or legal in public or private and for you to demand that she does so before an organized investigation is conducted is the same as not caring about the truth in order to pencil whip a nom through the house, ya you want the truth alright nah you want a hardcore conservative in the SC at least be honest with us and yourself.

It's kind of funny how Dr. Ford is accused of lying and being set up by the right, yet they have the power to demand the best people in the world find out as much as they can. 

For some really strange and odd reason the women the right accuses of lying wants these people to investigate and the right who claims to want the truth doesn't want them to investigate and would very much rather try and ram Kavanaugh's nom through the house...

Critical thinking is important even if almost entirely missing from this forum.

The right is shitty their pants about 2 things
1) Trump massively fuck the republicans and they party is shitting their pants at the thought of a wave of blue in the MT's and are desperate to get Kavanaugh in knowing this may be their last nom they can force through LOL
2) The right is worried the women isn't lying and having the FBI involved in that scenario really isn't going to turn out well for the right.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12865

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 01:52:51 AM
Merited by CoinCube (5)

If it becomes clear that the allegations are true, then this should disqualify Kavanaugh simply because that would mean that he's currently blatantly lying about it. All of the other arguments regarding the particulars of the case are irrelevant in the face of that fact, assuming he's guilty.

If the government was full of a bunch of honest philosophers who really cared about doing things the right way, then IMO there's enough evidence to halt the process and look into it carefully. But we all know that both sides are acting 100% in bad faith at all times, and are only looking to win as much as they can. With that reality in mind, and even though I don't like Kavanaugh, I feel that if the Republicans back down now in any way, it'd set a bad precedent for completely derailing things based on fairly weak accusations, since a complete derailment is a possible result of any delay.

The best-case scenario IMO is that we quickly get solid evidence that Kavanaugh is guilty, and then he's replaced by someone better who is then confirmed before the Democrats have any possibility of taking back the Senate. The worst-case scenario is that this drags on for a long time, the Democrats end up getting a more anti-constitution justice, Kavanaugh is proven innocent after the fact, and a strong precedent is set for winning by throwing weak allegations around.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
CoinCube
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 02:03:20 AM
Last edit: September 20, 2018, 02:21:30 AM by CoinCube

You're so worried about Kavanaugh's life being destroyed yet what about the vitcims life IF the allegations are true her life is far more "destroyed" but the right who speaks about wanting the truth already made up their minds without allowing the FBI to do their duty without an actual investigation...  The president is so concerned about the truth I still haven't seen the WH issue the direction to the FBI to do it's job.

Dr. Ford is under no obligation to talk to the senate committee moral or legal in public or private and for you to demand that she does so before an organized investigation is conducted is the same as not caring about the truth in order to pencil whip a nom through the house, ya you want the truth alright nah you want a hardcore conservative in the SC at least be honest with us and yourself.

It's kind of funny how Dr. Ford is accused of lying and being set up by the right, yet they have the power to demand the best people in the world find out as much as they can.  

For some really strange and odd reason the women the right accuses of lying wants these people to investigate and the right who claims to want the truth doesn't want them to investigate and would very much rather try and ram Kavanaugh's nom through the house...

Critical thinking is important even if almost entirely missing from this forum.

The right is shitty their pants about 2 things
1) Trump massively fuck the republicans and they party is shitting their pants at the thought of a wave of blue in the MT's and are desperate to get Kavanaugh in knowing this may be their last nom they can force through LOL
2) The right is worried the women isn't lying and having the FBI involved in that scenario really isn't going to turn out well for the right.

A few points:

1) Assuming Ford's allegation true, there's no suggestion of a federal crime, and the statute of limitations for the state crime is likely also  long passed. The FBI has no independent authority to investigate this claim unless the president requests it. Why should the president do so if the accuser is unwilling to testify under oath to the Senate and answer some questions about her accusation?

2) You are correct that Ms. Ford is has no moral or legal  obligation to talk to the senate in public or private. However, she has implied through her lawyer that she wants the Senate to consider her accusation before appointing Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. If she truly wants this she should testify and present her information. If she chooses not to testify the Senate should proceed to a vote without her information.

3) My own motivation is that I would like a SC nominee that respects the constitution especially the 1st, 2nd, and 4th amendments. Kavanaugh's not my first choice I liked Amy Barrett better but like earlier posters I think we could do far worse. If it can be proven that he is a lier and sexual predator then we would need someone better. However, I am currently sceptical of this accusation and suspect a partisan ploy. I would like to see Ms. Ford testify in the hopes that the truth of the matter reveals itself.

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 02:33:02 AM

....whether or not the women was almost raped........

"Almost raped" sound a lot to me like "almost pregnant."

It is or it is not.
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 03:00:37 AM
Last edit: September 20, 2018, 05:08:27 AM by Flying Hellfish

Why should the president do so if the accuser is unwilling to testify under oath to the Senate and answer some questions about her accusation?

Well I can actually think of 1 really really really good reason  Shocked  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes and you actually claimed to care about the reason why he should, it's called finding out as much of the truth as we can so we can make a determination on the validity of the claim.  The man is nominated to the highest court in the land... She hasn't said she won't answer questions in fact if the FBI was to investigate she would be subpoenaed if unwilling to testify on her own...

If she truly wants this she should testify and present her information. If she chooses not to testify the Senate should proceed to a vote without her information.

She will testify to the FBI if they demand it.  Anyone actually wanting the truth should be doing whatever they can to get the information from here, if only the president could make an agency do some digging to find out the truth, gee that would be sweet.

However, I am currently sceptical of this accusation and suspect a partisan ploy. I would like to see Ms. Ford testify in the hopes that the truth of the matter reveals itself.

Except you want her to testify before allowing one of the best investigative agency the American people have access investigating the claims.  Seriously does that sound like someone that wants the truth?

Anyone on the judiciary committee would have access to her sworn testimony when interviewed by the FBI we may not get it but they can, but they don't want it...

who is then confirmed before the Democrats have any possibility of taking back the Senate.

Check the timelines on nom's getting in, even if someone is rammed through starting today there isn't enough time before the MT's.

That is obviously a major motivator here for both parties, dems want to delay in case they can get the senate back and the republicans want to ram him through in case they lose the senate haha, ironic both parties are preparing for the possibility of a wave of blue!!!!

The voters on the left seem highly polarized to vote this time and voters on the right believe Trump when he says a wave of red is coming.  If the right gets lazy they might just lose the senate!

What happens after will depend obviously how each party does in the MT's

Clearly both parties are acting in self interest, to think otherwise is naive at best.

....whether or not the women was almost raped........

"Almost raped" sound a lot to me like "almost pregnant."

It is or it is not.

I guess getting almost shot in the head sounds a lot like getting shot in the head.

You do know attempted rape is actually a real thing and a crime right??

I guess if a man was trying to have sex with you against your will and was almost successful short of one lucky reason then you wouldn't consider it almost raped.

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12865

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 03:15:01 AM

Check the timelines on nom's getting in, even if someone is rammed through starting today there isn't enough time before the MT's.

The schedule is defined by the Senate majority. If McConnell wants, he can bring a final nomination vote to the floor on the same day as the President makes the nomination. It would be highly unusual, but so was ignoring the Garland nomination or invoking the nuclear option on Gorsuch; McConnell doesn't care. If Kavanaugh loses the vote and the GOP loses the Senate, I suspect that he will force someone else through in this way during the Senate's lame duck period.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
CoinCube
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 03:31:14 AM

How 65 women came to Kavanaugh’s defense in matter of hours
https://www.apnews.com/1f7e47de5ce340f7b4cab8e92ef91cf0
Quote from: Jennifer Peltz
NEW YORK (AP) — It started as a series of phone calls among old high-school friends and ended up embroiling 65 women in the firestorm over a sexual assault allegation that could shape the Supreme Court.

In a matter of hours, they all signed onto a letter rallying behind high court nominee and their high school friend Brett Kavanaugh as someone who “has always treated women with decency and respect.” And they signed up, whether they anticipated it or not, for becoming a focus of scrutiny themselves.

The powerful strength-in-numbers statement, offered to bolster Kavanaugh’s denial of a claim that he attacked a girl at a party during their high school years, has drawn questions from journalists, social media skeptics, even Hollywood figures.
How well did the women know him? How could a statement and 65 signatures come together so fast after outlines of the allegation first surfaced publicly? And after subsequently hearing the details and learning that his accuser was a woman some of them knew, do they stand by their declaration?

Yes, say more than a dozen signers who have since spoken to The Associated Press or other media outlets.
“Brett wouldn’t do that in a million years. I’m totally confident. That would be completely out of character for him,” said Paula Duke Ebel. She said she interacted with Kavanaugh hundreds of times while they were students in a close-knit constellation of single-sex Catholic schools around Washington in the 1980s.
Christine Blasey Ford, 51, now a psychology professor in California, said a very intoxicated Kavanaugh cornered her in a bedroom during a party in the early 1980s. She said he pinned her on a bed, tried to undress her and clamped his hand over her mouth when she tried to scream. She escaped only when a friend of his jumped on the bed and knocked them all over.

The letter was released the morning after the allegation first got wide public attention. The letter and its roster of supporters seemed to come at supersonic speed and out of the blue.
Women who organized and signed it say it was a rapid response by a social network that endures decades after they graduated. They say it was easy to mobilize: a chain of friends calling, texting and emailing friends from a Washington-area world where many still live and see each other.
the letter backing Kavanaugh is from women who vouch that they knew Kavanaugh, now a federal appeals court judge, personally as a high school student.

Several said they interacted with him extensively through sporting events, dances, parties and other socializing or the phone calls that occupied teenage weeknights in the pre-texting era.
One worked with him at a summer camp. A second sought his help with homework. Two dated him. Some still see him at social functions.

At least one, though, hadn’t spent time or talked one-on-one with him but still felt comfortable attaching her name based on the social situations they shared.
Others who signed declined to comment or didn’t respond to inquiries. The AP left messages for all 65.

Some have been taken aback by the attention. Many have stayed mum to avoid “the media frenzy,” signer Maura Kane told Fox News, the outlet of choice for several who have given interviews.

Julie DeVol told the AP she didn’t really anticipate the letter would provoke such intense interest, though she sensed Kavanaugh’s critics “would do anything” to delay his confirmation vote.
Women who signed the letter said they didn’t know about or recall the party Ford described, and they said her account of a “stumbling drunk” Kavanaugh didn’t jibe with their memories of a boy who drank some beer alongside them but never lost control or crossed a line with girls.

“There were kids who did act kind of crazy. ... He just wasn’t that guy,” said Williams, who recalls hanging out with Kavanaugh mainly in groups but sometimes one-on-one. “He was the kid who always did the right thing.”
That’s why six dozen women were willing to put their names on that letter, said signer Missy Bigelow Carr, who worked at a summer camp with Kavanaugh and coached girls basketball against him as an adult.

“If there was any indication that he didn’t treat even one of us with respect or acted in a manner that disrespected girls/women,” she wrote in an email, “that would not be the case.”

Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 04:50:15 AM

The schedule is defined by the Senate majority. If McConnell wants, he can bring a final nomination vote to the floor on the same day as the President makes the nomination. It would be highly unusual,

Not only would it be highly unusual it's simply not realistic here, can he do that, technically sure.  Even McConnell knows as partisan as the senate is a lot more than 2 republican senators will have a pretty major issue not letting reasonable due process happen for a SCOTUS nomination...  While the republicans hold a majority it is literally the smallest majority possible so McConnell knows he has to be extremely careful.  McConnell even told Trump Kavanaugh was going to be a hard guy to sell even with senate majority.

No one is talking about a senate vote for another nominee before MT's.

How 65 women came to Kavanaugh’s defense in matter of hours

That's a cute article I have one as well and this one has 200.  200>65 since you like to bold out how many people have signed a letter!

The alumnae behind the letter of support are from Holton-Arms School, a private all-girls school in Bethesda, Maryland. Sarah Burgess, an alumna who graduated in 2005, told HuffPo that, as of late Monday morning, more than 200 fellow alumnae had signed on to the letter.

Elizabeth Warren

@SenWarren
 Christine Blasey Ford is brave, deserves to be heard, and treated with respect as she raises new questions about Brett Kavanaugh.  No votes until that happens.

9:11 AM - Sep 17, 2018
10.9K people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

The letter's authors wrote that "Ford's experience is all too consistent with stories we heard and lived while attending Holton," and said that "many of us are survivors ourselves."

The letter of support for Ford stands in contrast to a separate letter, written by 65 women who purport to have known Kavanaugh while in high school. That letter was sent to judiciary committee chairperson Sen. Chuck Grassley, and ranking member Sen. Dianne Feinstein, and in it, the authors and signatories vouch for Kavanaugh's character and behavior toward women.

https://www.bustle.com/p/women-from-christine-blasey-fords-high-school-are-supporting-her-in-a-pointed-letter-11940759

CoinCube
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 05:36:23 AM

That's a cute article I have one as well and this one has 200.  200>65 since you like to bold out how many people have signed a letter!

Yes that letter of yours actually has over 1000 signatures now. Looks like it was sent out to alumni of Holton-Arms school who graduated between 1962-2018.

Alumnae from Christine Blasey Ford’s high school sign letter saying they support her
https://www.vox.com/2018/9/18/17869998/christine-blasey-ford-brett-kavanaugh-holton-arms
“Dr. Blasey Ford’s experience is all too consistent with stories we heard and lived while attending Holton. Many of us are survivors ourselves,” the letter reads. First circulated by a group of women who do not know Ford and who graduated from Holton-Arms, a private all-girls school in Bethesda, Maryland, in 2005, the letter has signatories from students who attended between 1962 and 2018."

Kate Gold, a class of 2005 Holton-Arms graduate who is an acupuncturist in Maryland, noted that the letter does not refer specifically to Ford’s allegations against Kavanaugh but rather to the experiences of women more generally.

“A connection we all have is that in hearing her story, each and every one of us, resonated immediately, knowing that the situation she described could have happened to any one of us or our friends, and sometimes similar situations did,” Gold told Vox in an email.

She continued: “As far as Dr. Ford’s specific allegations, it is inconsequential/irrelevant to us whether anyone has heard them before, and in no way affects our belief that she is telling the truth. What we are referring to in our letter is the nearly ubiquitous experience of high school girls as they try to navigate coming of age in a society dominated by toxic masculinity.”

The difference between these two is that the first is a letter signed by 65 women who know Kavanaugh personally and over time and were willing to attest to his character. The second is a letter signed by 1000 women none of whom have ever met Kavanaugh and most of whom have never met Ms. Ford.

We will have to leave it to the readers to determine how to weigh these two pieces of data.

CoinCube
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 05:59:04 AM

Grassley sets Friday deadline to hear back from Kavanaugh accuser
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/19/politics/kavanaugh-ford-grassley-judiciary-committee-supreme-court/index.html
Quote from: Daniella Diaz
Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley has set 10 a.m. Friday as the deadline for Christine Blasey Ford's legal team to respond to his request for her to speak to the committee regarding her sexual assault allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.
"We are doing everything that we can to make Dr. Ford comfortable to coming before the committee in an open session or a closed session, or a public or a private interview," the Iowa Republican told reporters on Capitol Hill Wednesday. "That's four different ways she can choose to come. So, I'm not worried about anything other than just focusing for the next few days on encouraging her to come."

Ford has asked for the FBI to investigate the allegations she's made before she testifies for the committee. Grassley sent a follow-up letter to Ford later Wednesday outlining why the Senate and not the FBI should investigate her claims.

"The FBI does not make a credibility assessment of any information it receives with respect to a nominee," Grassley wrote. "Nor is it tasked with investigating a matter simply because the Committee deems it important. The Constitution assigns the Senate, and only the Senate, with the task of advising the President on his nominee and consenting to the nomination if the circumstances merit. We have no power to commandeer an Executive Branch agency into conducting our due diligence. The job of assessing and investigating a nominee's qualifications in order to decide whether to consent to the nomination is ours, and ours alone."

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: