Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:58:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairbrix fiasco  (Read 3615 times)
Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 04:39:19 PM

At some point, someone with significant power attacked the chain, forking it, and invalidating everyone else's coins.  And here we are.

I expect a better release, under a new name to come.  It will be properly tested and released to thwart potential attackers.  Stay tuned.

You declared the improper forking. You are coordinating a "better release" that everyone will be required to adopt. I'm not sure which fork your release blesses, but your team got to make that decision. As Larry Lessig is fond of saying, "Code is Law".

That is all I mean by center of the universe.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 07:51:22 PM

I am far from being a Real Programmer, but I have a sort of hunch that various "dynamic lockins" (be they timestamp-based or "magical transaction" based) could open a rather large can of net-scale DoS worms.
I don't see how an exchange sending out a signed transaction containing a checkpoint to nodes is any different from a coin creator regularly updating the client with a checkpoint and asking for clients to upgrade. The advantage with the former is it's automatic and nodes upgrade automatically.

From the top of my graphic-designery meatbrains (so likely a very measly attack), let's consider a situation with 2 exchanges (not implausible), one of which is under attacker's influence (knowingly or not).

Exchange 1 "blesses" block No X on "legit" chain

Exchange 2 transmits a blessing for same block number ("X"), but on a chain synthesized by the attacker.

Attacker then "reveals" his blockchain, and it is "longer" (in the "sum of work" sense, of course)

How does system respond ?

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 11:14:41 PM

My idea doesn't cover multiple exchanges. It would only work with one. More thought would be needed to extend it to other exchanges if needed. This is what I meant by centralizing around the exchange. So for the 'one true exchange' idea I'd see one order book managing deposits, withdraws and orders. This is the entity doing the checkpointing. Perhaps other 'exchanges' use an API to access the order book and provide functionality on top.
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 11:19:08 PM

My idea doesn't cover multiple exchanges. It would only work with one. More thought would be needed to extend it to other exchanges if needed. This is what I meant by centralizing around the exchange. So for the 'one true exchange' idea I'd see one order book managing deposits, withdraws and orders. This is the entity doing the checkpointing. Perhaps other 'exchanges' use an API to access the order book and provide functionality on top.

Well, I suspect that the community would treat actual deployment of God-Emperor Exchange even less warmly than it treats large "future development/exotic laundry" premines.

Though I think that Ixcoin could do that with relatively little public relations issues... Maybe we should propose that to the fakepanese guy ?

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1654
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 11:29:38 PM

Well, I suspect that the community would treat actual deployment of God-Emperor Exchange even less warmly than it treats large "future development/exotic laundry" premines.

Though I think that Ixcoin could do that with relatively little public relations issues... Maybe we should propose that to the fakepanese guy ?

Well, I'm interested in doing this for Fairbrix. I don't think the community would hate this. With a new currency, you only send coins to the exchanges anyways. So it's not unreasonable for the exchange's view of the chain to be the "right" one in order to prevent an attacker from screwing over the exchange. I'm sure we can come up with things to limit what the exchange can do.

Here are some possible bad things the exchange can do:
- Run its own miners and only accept blocks produce by its miners, thereby reaping all the mined coins
- Do a double spend against its own users. After a user withdraws FBX, the exchange can lock in an different block and reverse that pay out
- Totally kill the chain by locking in a bad block

Somethings we can do is to have the ability to undo a lock. Maybe a kill switch for this block locking functionality. And if the exchange really misbehaves, people will stop using it, and I can always release a new client without this code.

ewibit
Legendary

Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 02:34:42 PM

is there somewhere a stats page for FBX?
Adamlm

Activity: 822
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 03:29:57 PM

I don't think so as this coin is considered dead or almost dead.. But it's still possible to connect to FBX network

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 04:17:50 PM

It is still running, serving like BBQcoin used to as a nice quiet low difficulty chain where people who do not have GPUs can pick up coins month after month using their CPUs.

Tenebrix is also still serving that same purpose.

BBQcoin no longer serves that purpose because after a good long run - a year or so maybe, maybe a little more or less - of CPU mining the GPU miners "re-discovered" it and drove its difficulty too high for CPU miners, it went to the exchanges (which alone would have brought it to the GPU miners' attention) and now the CPU miners who mined it all those months get to cash out on it while continuing to quietly CPU-mine Fairbrix and Tenebrix.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: