Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:12:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Squeezing the crypto owners for tax  (Read 225 times)
ProofOfLambo (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 9

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 01:28:44 PM

Recent news in Cointelegraph bring a shadow on those that are happily holding their cryptos on a relatively unregulated limbo.

The "J5" is a group of countries, that I assume will grow in the future, that are sharing information cross-borders for effective Tax Enforcement. Under the typical biased accusations of "crypto being used by criminals", they are now putting the Exchanges in the oven and plans to have them sweating until they disclose the owners accounts and link these with identifiable users.

This article is not the typical dubious news - it is written by a specialized Tax Attorney. I am afraid that the freedom to decide we enjoy today will not last.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
B1tUnl0ck3r

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 01:51:03 PM

Recent news in Cointelegraph bring a shadow on those that are happily holding their cryptos on a relatively unregulated limbo.

The "J5" is a group of countries, that I assume will grow in the future, that are sharing information cross-borders for effective Tax Enforcement. Under the typical biased accusations of "crypto being used by criminals", they are now putting the Exchanges in the oven and plans to have them sweating until they disclose the owners accounts and link these with identifiable users.

This article is not the typical dubious news - it is written by a specialized Tax Attorney. I am afraid that the freedom to decide we enjoy today will not last.

if they don't have more fiats than us, they will not be able to attract our hypergamist daughters in their nets... that's it.

the rest show... show show show...

I prefer bang bang bang... and who will see who is left breathing.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 8906

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2018, 02:43:51 PM

Now sure how this is news. It was never a good idea to keep money on an exchange for many reasons and not just taxation. Dealing with fiat in any way is likely to trigger a taxable event in many jurisdictions. And the exchange can only identify you if you supplied identifying data. This doesn't seem to affect anyone who uses crypto properly, i.e. in full control of their private keys etc. Am I missing something?
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3068

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 03:20:31 PM

Either be a big wet vagina and give them everything and more, or grow a backbone and give them nothing. I'm going with the backbone option, because when they release from prison, I'll simply start spending my money on ways to make sure they can't catch me again. And that's assuming I am caught to begin with. Fuck these "people".
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2018, 06:13:54 PM

Don't forget the common way to get bitcoin these days is by buying it through exchange, which means majority bitcoiner could be tracked. I'm sure only minority who manage their crypto/privacy properly anyway.

Merely buying and holding bitcoins doesn't involve tax, unless there is some weird-ass country that taxes it as property or something.

Now if the buyer is laundering money that's another story but that doesn't really have much to do with Bitcoin.
Maveth13

Activity: 336
Merit: 112

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 07:27:02 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Let's face it, cryptocurrency trading taxes are inevitable. As adoption grows more and more, regulatory measures for taxation will happen, and honestly, so what? I've said this here a few times, you can't expect to make a profit and not pay taxes for it. And it's actually happening in some countries.

Now, lumping traders with money launderers and cyber criminals is a whole different thing. Quoting from the new/article:
Using military and intelligence tools to combat offshore tax evasion may be overkill, especially when voluntary compliance efforts have proven to be so successful.
ProofOfLambo (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 09:56:33 PM

Now sure how this is news. It was never a good idea to keep money on an exchange for many reasons and not just taxation. Dealing with fiat in any way is likely to trigger a taxable event in many jurisdictions. And the exchange can only identify you if you supplied identifying data. This doesn't seem to affect anyone who uses crypto properly, i.e. in full control of their private keys etc. Am I missing something?

For me it is news because it is a sign of where things are headed and how fast, not in the sense of a headline.

Is not as much keeping your money in the exchange as having any operation you make recorded with your ID clipped to it. You can hold your stuff in your wallet but you cannot hide your operations. Oh, and there is a limit in most exchanges to withdrawals without ID.

I guess that what I mean is that previously there were not taking cryptos too seriously, but now we are seeing even international treaties to keep track of everyone.
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2018, 10:25:04 PM

For me it is news because it is a sign of where things are headed and how fast, not in the sense of a headline.

Is not as much keeping your money in the exchange as having any operation you make recorded with your ID clipped to it. You can hold your stuff in your wallet but you cannot hide your operations. Oh, and there is a limit in most exchanges to withdrawals without ID.

I guess that what I mean is that previously there were not taking cryptos too seriously, but now we are seeing even international treaties to keep track of everyone.

I just always assumed I'll have to pay taxes on crypto profit just like on any other investment income. There are still ways to break the trail if someone is inclined to do so - mixers, privacy-oriented coins, etc.
worldofcoins

Activity: 1806
Merit: 418

Need a campaign manager? | Telegram:@worldofcoinss

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2018, 10:22:24 PM

Don't forget the common way to get bitcoin these days is by buying it through exchange, which means majority bitcoiner could be tracked. I'm sure only minority who manage their crypto/privacy properly anyway.

Merely buying and holding bitcoins doesn't involve tax, unless there is some weird-ass country that taxes it as property or something.

Now if the buyer is laundering money that's another story but that doesn't really have much to do with Bitcoin.

This entire scandal is based on cryptos like Bitcoin being targets for money laundering, that's why this has very much to do with BTC.
feelingfroggy

Activity: 220
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 18, 2018, 10:25:32 PM

You guys are the ones paying the tax and making the decision to pay your overlords to reign over you all the while creating a bad environment for freedom loving individuals.  These are the same people most likely filling out KYC and KYC to show daddy leaders who they are.  Sheep always get sheared!  Happy shearing,
ProofOfLambo (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2018, 10:59:25 PM

This entire scandal is based on cryptos like Bitcoin being targets for money laundering, that's why this has very much to do with BTC.

Bitcoin is not used for money laundering any more that any other of the usual means: Real State, Football teams, ...  And of course, the amount of dirty money in fiat that is hidden in tax heavens with the good will of governments is several orders of magnitude above crypto.
b_oo

Activity: 59
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 02:03:23 AM

There will always be a way around. I think the future of cryptos are decentralized exchanges. That right there will be a game changer.
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1785

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2018, 11:29:41 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2018, 11:50:09 AM by joniboini

There will always be a way around. I think the future of cryptos are decentralized exchanges. That right there will be a game changer.

A decentralized exchange doesn't support exchanging your crypto to fiat. Unless your local store support payment with crypto, then it is impossible to rely only on a decentralized exchange. At least for now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: