Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:55:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Node App for Android  (Read 3604 times)
Niggle (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

“Create Your Decentralized Life”

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 07:36:05 AM

I couldnt find one anywhere but was wondering if an Android Bitcoin Node app (like Bitcoin QT) exists. Rather than running my computer 24/7 to make a node, I'd like to support the network by having a small android tablet run as a node. Cheers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:00:09 AM

I couldnt find one anywhere but was wondering if an Android Bitcoin Node app (like Bitcoin QT) exists. Rather than running my computer 24/7 to make a node, I'd like to support the network by having a small android tablet run as a node. Cheers.

lol no cant do....

A complete node would require a full blockchain.

No way you can have it on a mobile device.... its a RAM hog as well.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 12:01:14 AM

Impossible.

Possible - but not neccesary.
vpitcher07

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 05:53:16 AM

lol no cant do....

A complete node would require a full blockchain.

No way you can have it on a mobile device.... its a RAM hog as well.

Um why not? Storage clearly isn't the issue... processing the blockchain could take a while but isn't impossible. I don't see why this is entirely out of the question.

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 07:54:27 AM

I've seen one
But processing would take months

mitus-2

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 09:40:53 PM

i'm upping this 3d cause i'm interested.... are there any possibilities?
readysalted89

Activity: 327

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 09:46:04 PM

You can run a bitcoin node on a raspberry pi

http://blog.pryds.eu/2014/06/compile-bitcoin-core-on-raspberry-pi.html
mitus-2

Activity: 224

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:22:58 PM

yes thanks i know it...but i was looking for something specifically for android since i have one unused android minipc.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:38:19 PM

If you ever do this please don't let others connect to your node over port 8333. You'd be doing a disservice to the overall performance of the network.
doggieTattoo

Activity: 209

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:46:21 PM

I don't think this would be a very good idea. If you were to run such an app then it would be a bandwidth hog and bandwidth is very expensive on mobile devices, plus the fact that mobile devices tend to be less efficient in terms of CPU usage and memory capacity

TIDEX ▬▬ .CRYPTO COINS AND ASSET TRADING. ▬▬ TIDEX
▬▬▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▬▬
NEW EXCHANGE   ZERO FEES
readysalted89

Activity: 327

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:56:05 PM

If you ever do this please don't let others connect to your node over port 8333. You'd be doing a disservice to the overall performance of the network.

Is it pointless running a node on Android? This reddit thread says nodes without port port 8333 open cannot make connections with nodes joining the network or looking for more connections.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1scd4z/im_running_a_full_node_and_so_should_you/cdw3lrh?context=3

Quoting a post on the reddit thread.

Having a maximum of 8 connections corresponds to bitcoin not being set up to listen to the outside world on port 8333, usually due to a router or firewall. If a node is not listening for connections, then it can only connect to existing nodes that have their port open. Nodes without their port open cannot make connections with nodes joining the network or looking for more connections. By running a node without the port open, you are essentially taking resources from the network but not giving anything back yourself.
doggieTattoo

Activity: 209

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 11:27:56 PM

Is it pointless running a node on Android? This reddit thread says nodes without port port 8333 open cannot make connections with nodes joining the network or looking for more connections.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1scd4z/im_running_a_full_node_and_so_should_you/cdw3lrh?context=3

Having a maximum of 8 connections corresponds to bitcoin not being set up to listen to the outside world on port 8333, usually due to a router or firewall. If a node is not listening for connections, then it can only connect to existing nodes that have their port open. Nodes without their port open cannot make connections with nodes joining the network or looking for more connections. By running a node without the port open, you are essentially taking resources from the network but not giving anything back yourself.
You can easily open port 8333 on your android phone. The question really is weather or not the phone is capable of actually providing any meaningful amount of resources to the network

TIDEX ▬▬ .CRYPTO COINS AND ASSET TRADING. ▬▬ TIDEX
▬▬▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▬▬
NEW EXCHANGE   ZERO FEES
fsb4000
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 12:09:22 AM

It is possible to build https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin for Android. I compiled Qt wallet on Android and I ran it.
But I do not think it's necessary. Need to redraw the interface to use comfortably Qt on Android...
nelruk

Activity: 115
Merit: 11

Bitcoin is revolution

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2015, 01:17:37 AM

Will be possible in a short future to run at least half of the blockchain with our smartphone? Just asking...

Bitcoin is revolution. Visit http://bitcoinlandia.net Smiley my personal blog about bitcoin in spanish
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 01:37:20 AM

Maybe you should use the android phone with 64G disk, or else this must be nightmare

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 04:29:02 AM

You can easily open port 8333 on your android phone. The question really is weather or not the phone is capable of actually providing any meaningful amount of resources to the network

Exactly. In fact if a low-power node craps out in the middle of serving out blocks to other nodes that are unfortunate enough to be connected to it those other nodes could hang for 30 seconds or more before giving up and then trying to request the information from another node.

When I download blocks for a new Bitcoin Core installation with no special settings, it takes about 2-3 days to catch up with the current blockchain. When I do the same thing but I set "connect=" in bitcoin.conf to another of my own nodes that is running on good server hardware with 1Gbps internet bandwidth, it takes at most 6 hours to download the blockchain. The reason why the former is so slow is because there are a lot of crap full nodes out there and as Bitcoin Core randomly connects to them your download slows down or even stalls.
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2016, 01:25:48 PM

Perhaps it would be best to build bitcoinj on Android over bitcoin core due to it's SPV abilities.  Moores law implies that it will get easier to run fully decentralised wallets on lightweight devices.

aschk

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 02:17:02 PM

BitcoinJ will work. However you will need to run it in full node mode and allocate sufficient storage. Seems like a waste to use an android device when a raspberry pi with a USB HD might suffice instead.
mudiko

Activity: 321

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 02:30:25 PM

Exactly. In fact if a low-power node craps out in the middle of serving out blocks to other nodes that are unfortunate enough to be connected to it those other nodes could hang for 30 seconds or more before giving up and then trying to request the information from another node.

When I download blocks for a new Bitcoin Core installation with no special settings, it takes about 2-3 days to catch up with the current blockchain. When I do the same thing but I set "connect=" in bitcoin.conf to another of my own nodes that is running on good server hardware with 1Gbps internet bandwidth, it takes at most 6 hours to download the blockchain. The reason why the former is so slow is because there are a lot of crap full nodes out there and as Bitcoin Core randomly connects to them your download slows down or even stalls.
That's why it is not a good idea to create some android crap nodes. I don't reccomend you running a node on your android device. If you want to just see, go for it, but running full-time node from android device is not reccomended at all.
You will slow down BTC network and kill your device
rossbadenhorst

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 05:12:32 PM

Take a look at this:

www.boetchain.com or https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.boetchain.bitcoinnode

It still very early, so for now, only maintaining connections with peers are available - but it is a start.

Disclaimer: I am a dev on the project
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: