Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:57:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you still mining Fairbrix?  (Read 1957 times)
michaelmclees (OP)

Activity: 633
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 08:41:50 PM

Below is the relaunch announcement...

Since the original fairbrix launch crashed and burned, michaelmclees asked me to help him relaunch it.

While working on it, I decided to improve it by moving the fairbrix configuration values into the source code. This way, you don't need a conf file to run the client. You only need to specify a rpcpassword if you want to point your miner to it. So it will be harder for people to mess things up.

Anyways, here's the source: https://github.com/coblee/Fairbrix
Copy the fbx.conf file to:
    Windows: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\fairbrix
    Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/fairbrix
    Unix: ~/.fairbrix

Windows binary: http://www.mediafire.com/?9gc28oo1s00lhhz

You can use the same Tenebrix miner: https://github.com/Lolcust/Tenebrix-miner

P.S. The coin was launched with ~100 premined blocks.

I thought Fairbrix was dead.  I was wrong, it seems and it is still fighting for life.

As it stands now, there is still a significant number of people running the client and mining.  I was unaware of this.  We're about to hit 5,000 blocks.

So right now, you can download the files linked above (if you don't have them) and run the client without issue.  You can mine without issue, and so far, people are keeping their generated blocks without issue.  Another attack could come.  But if there is no attack, the thief's wallet will be trivial in no time, and if enough people get on board, future attacks become more difficult.

I can only assume that people still mining just don't really care about the stolen blocks.  And if the rest of the network doesn't care... why should I?  Is this a case of Fairbrix is dead, long live Fairbrix?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2011, 08:48:10 PM

Yeah, I still mine them.
I like it when suddenly I'm mining on my own chain until I restart the client, to find out I got 0 coins in 20 blocks again Smiley

Anyone who wants a real CPU currency, start mining TeneBrix.
OneMINER

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 10:16:27 PM

I'm not mining. There are plenty of alt coins to choose from. This one was crippled from the start and currently has a thief as the person with the most influence on its future. I don't trust that thief to do the right thing or act in any kind of reasonable manner. I'll support a chain that I feel has a chance in hell to compete against bitcoin.

If the chain dies then the thief looses money BTW. If he was pumping out more power than the whole network it would have cost him real money. Kill the chain and all his expenses comes straight out of his pocket. That's a result I can get behind.
freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 11:57:03 PM

I still mine them and so far everything is alright.
I really don't care if the 30k or so first coins went to a hanful of miners, or one bored attacker with half a rack of servers. Out of 30k, 2k were mine, but I am just keeping mining instead of wheening so I caught up on my loss in no time. If the chain keep running for a few weeks, 30k will become pretty anectodical.
Anyway, if we reboot it again, it is either going to be attacked again, or the attacker will be mining legit and no one will notice that he got back all his coins anyway. Pointless IMO.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 12:08:01 AM

I am mining but it is a bit weird, the coins come and go Sad
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 12:13:13 AM

What do you mean? Other than the chain reorg at the beginning due to an attack, things seem to be working normally right now. What issue are you seeing?

Bobnova

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 12:18:14 AM

I'm mining 'em.
Tenebrix don't make enough money to offset CPU power usage, so that's out.
Fairbrix may get an exchange, if it does I'll be in good shape.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
OneMINER

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 01:23:16 AM

If he doesn't loose money then he looses time. If not that then he didn't get to mine another coin with that time. If he stole the hardware then he has more risk. I don't care as long as he/she/they are on the loosing side.
worldinacoin

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 01:45:57 AM

Initially I have 50 coin about to be confirmed, then I leave it running, when I came back there was 7 unconfirmed 50 coins while the initial 50 coin that was nearly confirmed disappeared.  I stop and start the mining again everything disappear Sad

What do you mean? Other than the chain reorg at the beginning due to an attack, things seem to be working normally right now. What issue are you seeing?
Bobnova

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 01:48:02 AM

Shouldn't be 50 coin blocks anyway, should be 25.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
OneMINER

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 01:55:18 AM

It surprises me that there are so many people willing to roll over for this kind of treatment. Its almost like there's a FBX attacker fan club. Wheres the indignation? Wheres the response? Framing it as a "chain reorg" is crazy. Seriously WTF?
OneMINER

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 02:23:37 AM

I'm not surprised about the attack, its the response that's got me confused.
worldinacoin

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 04:52:08 AM

It was 50 coins block confirmed.

Shouldn't be 50 coin blocks anyway, should be 25.
freequant

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:59:18 AM

It surprises me that there are so many people willing to roll over for this kind of treatment. Its almost like there's a FBX attacker fan club. Wheres the indignation? Wheres the response? Framing it as a "chain reorg" is crazy. Seriously WTF?

Chain reorg is a part of the protocol.

The network decided that the attacker was in majority and was therefore in his good right. My client, which code I reviewed and approved, decided to wipe out my balance and to start confirming the attacker's chain as was agreed. That's perfectly fair to me, and I am glad to see that the chain can quick the status quo in the balls when it applies.

We failed to protect the network, we got owned.
That's up to us to advertise the coin and build a strong community around it.

I am not going to throw the cards away and start kicking around in anger just because someone else comes up trumps in the first round...

worldinacoin

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 06:51:45 AM

I managed to mine 2 x 25 coins and have it confirmed and transfer it to another wallet and have it also confirmed.  Finally Smiley
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 08:32:38 AM

It was a interesting experiment and a good example how important H/s is and how vulnerable all start-up coins are. 
If you keep mining it after some asshole rewrote the blockchain and invalidated few thousand blocks and all the coins mined by the early adopters, you are only helping this shit bird.
Let him mine it alone (probably uses stolen CPU power  - botnet)
If you let it die, he has nothing.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
freequant

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 08:51:45 AM

It was a interesting experiment and a good example how important H/s is and how vulnerable all start-up coins are.  
If you keep mining it after some asshole rewrote the blockchain and invalidated few thousand blocks and all the coins mined by the early adopters, you are only helping this shit bird.
Let him mine it alone (probably uses stolen CPU power  - botnet)
If you let it die, he has nothing.

Crypto snipping for hundred bucks:

1. Let a coin start
2. Throw at it $100 of EC2 hash power to trigger a small reorg.
3. Watch people run away panicked and never return.
4. Rejoyce at your godly power: you have just eradicated a new crypto currency.
5. Repeat that with next crypto currency to come.
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 10:51:59 AM

Um, with all due respect and not to be fuddy, retroactively orphaning a huge chunk of the chain isn't a small reorg

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 11:11:55 AM

Well for those that are still mining Fairbrix and want to run the client as a daemon, here's the code:
https://github.com/coblee/Fairbrix-daemon

Thanks to Lolcust for the Tenebrix-daemon-exp code that this is based on.

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:39:59 PM

I'm not mining. There are plenty of alt coins to choose from. This one was crippled from the start and currently has a thief as the person with the most influence on its future. I don't trust that thief to do the right thing or act in any kind of reasonable manner. I'll support a chain that I feel has a chance in hell to compete against bitcoin.

[...]

what makes you think BE and a handful of other people did not make lots of tenebrix at launch? besides the 7mil I mean, just from normal mining.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: