Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2019, 07:09:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.18.0 [Torrent] (New!)

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you draw the line, Freedom of Speech/Misinformation  (Read 362 times)
Squishy01

Activity: 98
Merit: 16

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 07:06:19 PM

As a journalism student, I value freedom of speech more than other of the many rights we have as humans. However, freedom of speech has always has been a doubled-edged sword.

If there's no freedom of speech, then only those with power will get to choose whether an idea should be listened to or not--and that it extremely dangerous as there are a lot of selfish power-mongers out there. However, as you said, some people abuse that freedom and use it to pass their often misinformed and false opinions as hard facts, and that is one of the main problems of journalism.

There are a lot of people that are either intentionally trying to spread fake news, or just plain stupid as to why they can't tell if they should present their opinions as truth or not.

Moreover, I extremely agree when you said that the people's voices should not be muted but those spreading lies should get punished. Legally speaking, these are criminal acts as they can either be libelous or just plain misinformation-spreading. However, the sad truth is that only a few really get to pay for it. I hope our justice system gets to take these more seriously and add measures on how to prevent them.

P.S. Just to add to your list of examples, I believe the Flat Earth Society should be one too  Grin
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.