Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:01:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Conference is coming to Dubai!  (Read 1584 times)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 03:49:02 PM

Tickets are not too bad and now there is a direct flight from Boston

I have not checked, but I am assuming that the cost of hotels and such are probably pretty expensive there...

I just stayed in a hotel in Dubai last night. A very nice hotel right next to the airport (Le Meridian) for about $200 for the night. Similar to prices I would pay in other large cities. Actually that hotel would be perfect for the conference, right across from the airport with about 4 different foreign restaurants on site (one being an Irish pub) with a few pools.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:12:18 AM

I just saw that a pizzeria in Dubai is taking BTC.  Maybe they would be interested in participating with the conference somehow? 

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=469676.0

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
BruceFenton (OP)

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 04:21:32 AM

I just saw that a pizzeria in Dubai is taking BTC.  Maybe they would be interested in participating with the conference somehow? 

Yes, definitely... we plan to buy pizzas from them one night....just have to work out the logistics with the hotel etc.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:48:39 AM

Do buy some pizza.  Grin

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
seafarer124

Activity: 302

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:26:53 AM

Dubai is money, not culture.

Coolest city I have been is Beijing, China.  Culture and history round every corner, amazing place, you could spend weeks there.

That said, Dubai would be an excellent venue for BTC.
shockload

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:58:08 PM

Problems with Bitcoin I see in Dubai:

-Online retail is 5-10 years behind the rest of the world.
-Money laundering is a big deal. It is a major through port for terror dollars, drug transhipment and countries circumventing sanctions on Iran amongst other naughty things in the geopolitical world. This means getting a bank account for anything is murderous and heavily regualted.
-The follow on affects from the above and various negative publicity about bitcoin may mean it is regulated out of existence.
-Middle East nepotism is a significant problem and amongst the money transmitting family businesses and other vested interests I think that you would see significant pushback at the top level.

Opportunities:

-Banking in Dubai is archaic. Skip a generation or 2 of payment solution problems. ie The country doesn't even yet have a functioning direct debit system to help you pay rent.
-A huge proportion of the city remit their salaries every month to their home countries. However these are the same people to whom a featurephone is a whopping great purchase so unless someone sets up the infrastructure in their home countries then hold fire.
-There is a growing entrepreneurial class in the city who may be able to push it forward.

Just a couple of items for thought.

I would be interested in attending though and do have some capital to invest in a few small projects if anyone wants although no time to do the actual legwork.

BruceFenton (OP)

Activity: 404

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 03:17:19 PM

Problems with Bitcoin I see in Dubai:

-Online retail is 5-10 years behind the rest of the world.
-Money laundering is a big deal. It is a major through port for terror dollars, drug transhipment and countries circumventing sanctions on Iran amongst other naughty things in the geopolitical world. This means getting a bank account for anything is murderous and heavily regualted.
-The follow on affects from the above and various negative publicity about bitcoin may mean it is regulated out of existence.
-Middle East nepotism is a significant problem and amongst the money transmitting family businesses and other vested interests I think that you would see significant pushback at the top level.

Opportunities:

-Banking in Dubai is archaic. Skip a generation or 2 of payment solution problems. ie The country doesn't even yet have a functioning direct debit system to help you pay rent.
-A huge proportion of the city remit their salaries every month to their home countries. However these are the same people to whom a featurephone is a whopping great purchase so unless someone sets up the infrastructure in their home countries then hold fire.
-There is a growing entrepreneurial class in the city who may be able to push it forward.

Just a couple of items for thought.

I would be interested in attending though and do have some capital to invest in a few small projects if anyone wants although no time to do the actual legwork.

Great stuff, good points,

I spend almost half each year in the Middle East -- mostly UAE and KSA so have lots cooking in addition to the conference
HorseCoin

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:31:00 PM

Dubai, the big money is coming!

Grin   Wink   Cheesy
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: