Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:01:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with the Unsold Tokens?  (Read 1555 times)
Heavens90 (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 3

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 10:43:48 AM

Hi,

I've been reading about the strategy ICOs use for unsold tokens in case they do not reach their hard cap.

As far as I understand, there are a few options to be used for this scenario.

1) Unsold tokens are burned - the most common option used by ICOs. If tokens are burnt, token holders share will increase, therefore its price.

2) Unsold tokens are not burned - founders keep them. It's not a good option at the eyes of the token holders. It can be used as a personal interest.

3) Unsold tokens are airdropped - A few ICOs (eg. FundFantasy) used this strategy. As far as they see it, the token price will be decreased but will be readjusted because people will use it.

I'm not aware of any more alternatives to those three. What are your thoughts? Would you use option 1 or go for the other two options? Would you come up with another possibility?

Thank you very much.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ctn

Activity: 644
Merit: 259

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 10:48:57 AM

I believe those are those only option they have got. Or else they might just start with less coin count (rare ICO's) and however 99% use the first option only. This makes sense because if you are not going to burn them then it means only one thing there will be huge unwanted supply of the coins. This will create less demand and high supply situation and thus making the coins go down the hill very quickly. I guess its good stuff that they burn it.
Ngemmeng

Activity: 1092
Merit: 100

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 12:25:22 PM

unsold tokens must be burned to keep prices stable. if not burned most likely the price will go down when in the market.

|     T o n T o g e t h e r     |     Saving Empowers Winning     |
Join Launchpool  >  Jan 10th - Feb 10th
●      T W I T T E R      ●      T E L E G R A M      ●      M E D I U M      ●
Akiko

Activity: 896
Merit: 198

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 12:31:56 PM

Hi,

I've been reading about the strategy ICOs use for unsold tokens in case they do not reach their hard cap.

1) Unsold tokens are burned - the most common option used by ICOs. If tokens are burnt, token holders share will increase, therefore its price.

2) Unsold tokens are not burned - founders keep them. It's not a good option at the eyes of the token holders. It can be used as a personal interest.

3) Unsold tokens are airdropped - A few ICOs (eg. FundFantasy) used this strategy. As far as they see it, the token price will be decreased but will be readjusted because people will use it.

I'm not aware of any more alternatives to those three. What are your thoughts? Would you use option 1 or go for the other two options? Would you come up with another possibility?

Thank you very much.

As far as i know most of the tokens from the ICO's that unsold are automatically they burned.
Honestly i agree on what they do to the unsold tokens to burned or maybe the other tokens will become an airdrop.

carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 01:33:03 PM

Unsold tokens are only bringing risk in future since investors might not buy another again,this must be burnt and should be by this the possibility of pumping is higher than those coins is still on hand

Owner must be responsible of their tokens or coins because the beneficiaries are the investors and holders that may trust the said coin/tokens
Heavens90 (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 3

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 01:57:48 PM

Thank you guys for your replies.

Seems like there's no doubt that Burning tokens are the best option in here. I've got an additional question, do you know any ICOs that they used a different approach to burning the tokens and its result? (eg. FundFantasy)

Thank you very much guys Smiley
Indamuck

Activity: 1120
Merit: 554

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 02:10:25 PM

The best option to burn the excess tokens.  Lower Supply = Higher price.  It's fine to airdrop a small amount because this helps build a userbase and mainstream adoption.  In the end, the amount of users and real world use case is what makes the price grow.
CoinEraser
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1718

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 02:59:40 PM

Hi,

Thank you very much.

I am for option 1, unsold tokens should burned. A lower circulating supply is the best thing that can happen. It's good for investors, the ICO team and the bounty campaign participants. The smaller the circulating supply, the higher the price can rise theoretically. That does not always work, but it's still the best solution for everyone.  Smiley
Btcepoy11

Activity: 162
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 03:29:19 PM

Hi,

Thank you very much.

I am for option 1, unsold tokens should burned. A lower circulating supply is the best thing that can happen. It's good for investors, the ICO team and the bounty campaign participants. The smaller the circulating supply, the higher the price can rise theoretically. That does not always work, but it's still the best solution for everyone.  Smiley
I agree with you! Those unsold tokens will be burned, and it is probably burned. This is the good thing's to do to make ICO successful. It is the cycle of the market, that if the circulating supplies are small, then it will make the price higher.
Mind Control

Activity: 224
Merit: 41

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 03:32:01 PM

This varies depending on the rules of the company who raised the ICO. I have seen an ICO that does not burn the unsold tokens but they added them on the funds of the project that will benefit the end user of their platform. Just like the reward system of mining, unsold tokens were allotted as additional reward. Although the price might go down because of the supply, they countered it by increasing the reward.
brotherwood12

Activity: 686
Merit: 30

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 03:54:25 PM

point number 2 can be used on the staking system , so the token given every month to their holder with POS system , like rebelous token as i know
Toden1379

Activity: 246

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 04:07:14 PM

I once had tokens which, thankfully, I sold earlier before the the unsold tokens from the company were hacked and stolen. This significantly dropped the price of the token. Apparently, they where to go to cold storage and not to be used again but then the hack happened. Option 1 would have been the better choice. But now, I wonder if they did it on purpose.

EOT  ]      FIRST DECENTRALIZED GAME NETWOR      EOT  ]
ICO: JULY 25       
        READ OUR WHITEPAPER
││   REDDIT   ││   TELEGRAM   ││   TWITTER   ││   MEDIUM   ││   WEBSITE   ││
HertzCoin

Activity: 239

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 08:05:19 PM

Basically, burning unsold tokens and airdropping is almost the same thing. If the ICO team adjust its reserved percentage of tokens to the amount sold, the burning of tokens is fair. If unsold tokens are airdropped accordingly to the proportion each investor owns, it's also legit. In both cases investors get the same share.
nanoiscool

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 09:01:45 PM

Most projects decide to burn, but some choose to lock the unsold tokens for a definite period time in order to have another sale or lock them for other various reasons.

I personally don't feel comfortable with the latter, I'd rather see them gone. You never know what it could happen with those "Reserve" tokens, especially that ICOs are so damn shady nowadays.

Airdrops? Nah, ruins the price and the project doesnt benefit of anything, don't even think about that. Just burn 'n go.
jonemil24

Activity: 448
Merit: 59

imagine me

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 09:33:56 PM

Basically, burning unsold tokens and airdropping is almost the same thing. If the ICO team adjust its reserved percentage of tokens to the amount sold, the burning of tokens is fair. If unsold tokens are airdropped accordingly to the proportion each investor owns, it's also legit. In both cases investors get the same share.
But there are tokens being airdropped on random addresses, giving away a small amount of token, ranging from 1-10 tokens; and they're all worthless. If they would airdrop those unsold tokens, they should have given it to their investors. Airdrop tokens piss me off everyday when I visit etherscan.

Normally, if given a choice to do something and nothing, I choose to do nothing.
But I will do something if it helps someone else to do nothing.
I'd work all night if it meant nothing got done.
- Roy Swanson
snipie
Legendary

Activity: 3136
Merit: 1140

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2018, 10:35:59 PM

The best option to keep the price stable or to make it increases is definitely by burning the unsold tokens.
Another possibility is to sold that amount progressively or to create some challenges with unsold tokens as a reward, in that manner, the price will remain quite stable.

batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2954
Merit: 598

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 10:55:42 PM

Most of the ICOs strategy is to burn their unsold tokens to make the supply lower to push the demand higher.

Unsold tokens using it for airdrop is inappropriate, they can only conduct it before the ICO so that's a bad strategy to use those unsold tokens for continuous marketing.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
TravelMug

Activity: 2618
Merit: 832

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 11:23:36 PM

unsold tokens must be burned to keep prices stable. if not burned most likely the price will go down when in the market.

This is the main reason why option 1 is the best. Projects next to burn it so that the price could have the potential to go up in the future. If there are billions or millions of coins in circulation, its going to saturate the market thus resulting in the coin less stable. Possible airdrops are a good options as well, but if those hunters sold the coins then it will be back on circulation that might push the price down after airdrops is completed.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
creeps

Activity: 742
Merit: 144

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 11:30:50 PM

Most of the ICO really burned the unsold token so the value of their token will increase, but we are not so sure about it since it can really transfer to anyone within the team, some of the token are being locked for at least a year or what but better to look for some ICO that they plan to burn the unsold token.
worldsuccess01

Activity: 119

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 12:04:29 AM

Actually if I have a unsold tokens I"m going to do is kept the coins into my private wallet and wait for the correct time of value in the market if the value high I sell it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: