Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:40:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Explain to me why MT.Gox has crashed  (Read 1808 times)
Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:40:46 PM

Seriously, What the hell happend? Is this all because of the transaction malleability?

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Armis

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:47:58 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2014, 03:45:14 PM by Armis

Seriously, What the hell happend? Is this all because of the transaction malleability?

They confused the fiduciary accountability thingy, with the 'rob peter to pay paul' thingy.

serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:48:33 PM

Because of this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2ku1A5Ox8U

Space for rent if its still trending
Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:57:22 PM

Hahaha! Very nice! The lady signing is doing a wonderful job!, almost sounds like a James Bond vocalist

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 04:00:38 PM

The confused the fiduciary accountability thingy, with the 'rob peter to pay paul' thingy.

Care to elaborate?

Armis

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 05:10:08 PM

The confused the fiduciary accountability thingy, with the 'rob peter to pay paul' thingy.

Care to elaborate?

People gave MG their money to safeguard it with great care.   They also trusted MG to inform informed them of any issues that would cause their funds to suffer loss at no fault of their own.   When MG stopped allowing withdrawals, for whatever reason, they knew or should have known that it would negatively impact the overall market, and likely cause irreparable damage to their own customers if allowed to remain more than 3 days.

3 days the withdrawal stop other cryptocurrency exchange began to distance themselves from MG in a responsible fashion as not to further disrupt the market.  The resulting separation allowed the overall market to adjust in such a way as to view MG as an absentee player, at that time MG btc values were material divergent from all other exchange btc values.   At that time MG should have reconsideration it's policy to allow any public trading of btc at all.

They knew or should have known that the ever widening gap, at that time 50%, would surely inflict massive damage on the already damaged holding. 

It is my position that MG acted recklessly in they fiduciary responsibility to exercise great care over the customer funds in their control, furthermore that their irresponsible behavior needlessly caused millions of btc holders to suffer permanent financial loss as a direct result of their poor communications of what MG claims to have experienced, solutions for the problem, and a good faith timeline for correction of the problem.

I ask that damages be awarded in the amount of $1B and that treble damages be awarded since this pattern of irresponsible behavior appears to be internally systemic, pervasive, and chronic.

Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 05:23:24 PM

The drop from the unsustainable 950$ level was unavoidable. But the normal large correction, which should have been in the same ballpark
as the December drop to 455$ (or a bit higher) was much worsened by the suspended BTC withdrawals. On top of that, the last drop,
down to 220$, seems to have been manipulated. 1h MACD was going positive, but the sudden dumps following a spike to 540$, are abnormal IMO.
It's possible someone took advantage of the irrational fear in the market and shorted goxBTC hard.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 05:29:35 PM

FBI is dumping its bitcoins? No, I dont really believe that myself, but the rest makes even less sense to me. Im going to sign up at gox and see if I can buy  a few cheap coins in time. Im sure its a risk but I can not believe that an exchange that must have accumulated close to 500K BTC in trading fees over the years somehow went insolvent. The official explanation for halting BTC withdraws sounds a lot more plausible to me.
psyclon

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 05:44:17 PM

not sure, but they will be able to make shit tons of money before they know they will come back to payouts again. and again, they are making shit tons of money all the time from trades even now.
knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 08:25:03 PM

not sure, but they will be able to make shit tons of money before they know they will come back to payouts again. and again, they are making shit tons of money all the time from trades even now.

or its because lack of cold storage ? apparently itBit have better infrastructure Wink

I think after that.. the 101 exchange businesses logic is something like

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
Swalters

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 11:57:08 PM

Thanks. I am staying away from MtGox.
achillez

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 11:12:41 AM

You can follow about news of mtgox here

hope you can conclude about mtgox case.

*warning do not click links* - redirect, potential virus
Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:58:20 PM

You can follow about news of mtgox here

hope you can conclude about mtgox case.
Oh cool, Ad-Click links that deploy virus software
Someone ban/warn this guy

AndersAA

Activity: 216

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 07:36:09 PM

Can someone explain why Mt. Gox hasn't rebounded yet? If they're about to reopen withdrawals then why is it only @ 313$/BTC atm?
I have enough faith in Gox to grab some BTCBTCBTC at half price if I could (doubt I can deposit in time) - why doesn't anyone else? What's going on?
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 09:45:51 PM

Can someone explain why Mt. Gox hasn't rebounded yet? If they're about to reopen withdrawals then why is it only @ 313$/BTC atm?
I have enough faith in Gox to grab some BTCBTCBTC at half price if I could (doubt I can deposit in time) - why doesn't anyone else? What's going on?

Maybe because Gox has shown their incompetence over and over and over again since the very beginning?

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 11:56:14 PM

Maybe because Gox has shown their incompetence over and over and over again since the very beginning?

Precisely. It's the question about reputability versus discount.

Would you get food from an establishment that has had multiple violations over the last few years for half the price of another restaurant that has had very little issues?

I like saying "take a chance" but both this and Mt. Gox falls out of that realm. And if you get burned in either case you really have no one to blame but yourself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: