Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:07:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to encrypt wallet.dat  (Read 1483 times)
jordant (OP)

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:10:52 PM

I want to store my Bitcoins offline but have no access to a printer. I have an encrypted USB drive, a Macbook, and a 500 GB HD.

How can I securely encrypt my wallet.DAT file in order to store it on these devices?

Is there a better way to store coins offline for someone who does not have a printer ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mensa

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:17:23 PM

I want to store my Bitcoins offline but have no access to a printer. I have an encrypted USB drive, a Macbook, and a 500 GB HD.

How can I securely encrypt my wallet.DAT file in order to store it on these devices?

Is there a better way to store coins offline for someone who does not have a printer ?

You can use a brain wallet. Please note that you don't need to remember a complete private key in order to create a brain wallet,  the priv key can be generated from your password.
bountygiver

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:52:54 PM

Use very high quality ink and paper, write private key down one by one
Store paper in fire and water proof safe place.

12dXW87Hhz3gUsXDDCB8rjJPsWdQzjwnm6
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:55:22 PM

Bitcoin-QT lets you encrypt your wallet, so you're all set already.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:59:41 PM

You could use the default bitcoin client to encrypt your wallet.dat, and then archive that wallet into multiple parts and split it onto multiple Floppy disks stored in differant locations
Have atleast three of each part of the archive, and do not keep all three parts togeather, nor should you keep identicle parts with eachother

I have Parts 1&2 buried in my lawn, and part 3 hidden somewhere else (i have done this Three times, incase i lose a Part)

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:26:10 PM

You can use Bitcoin-qt's encryption (Settings -> Encrypt wallet), 7-Zip encryption or AxCrypt. Bitcoin-Qt's encryption is easiest and that's the one I'd recommend.
greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:45:49 AM

You don't actually have to print a paper wallet per se to be doing cold storage.

You could just keep your private keys on a computer that isn't connected to the internet. For example, put the relevant install packages on some kind of removable media, freshly install an OS and Bitcoin-qt completely offline, and then just generate the addresses on that computer that you want.

The internet will never have seen any of your private keys whatsoever, and your wallet.dat on that computer from that point forward will remain a valid backup (assuming you do not exceed I believe 100 addresses). If you are not doing any spends (obviously) from that machine, you're not in any danger of making new change addresses in the background that are not amount your intentionally labeled ones.

If at any point you wanted to spend funds on those keys, you don't even need to put that PC online. From the Bitcoin-qt console you can display private keys, then sweep those funds directly into say Blockchain.info or some such service. (Basically exactly like a paper wallet user would).

Another even simpler option is to just copy over the files for a web-based paper wallet key generator such as bitaddress or some such site. Load it offline directly off disk on that computer, and save the print output of the web browser to document format files such as PDF. You now could have a subdirectly filled with paper wallets complete with QR codes that you just display on the screen to sweep with a smartphone later without even running any kind of wallet whatsoever. If that offline PC is physically secure in your possession, then that's just as secure as a paper wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: