Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:05:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bounty for QR Code LTC Payment Processor  (Read 3187 times)
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 12:14:10 PM

Look, why are we wanting to have a QR Code payment processor?
To promote Litecoin as a payment solution, and not only as a store of value / exotic alt currency.

So if we are going to develop an app that allows to read and generate LTC QR codes, let's arrange to have it as widely adopted as possible.
If it reads only Litecoin QR codes, it will cater almost exclusively to existing Litecoin users.
Now if it reads both Litecoin and Bitcoin QR codes, it will show in the search results when people search for a Bitcoin QR code processor, and will be used both by Litecoin and Bitcoin users.

The difference?
In the first case, promotional effect nil.
In the second case, many bitcoin consummers will have a little Litecoin logo on their QR code reader app, and become progressively aware of the existence of Litecoin as a payment solution.
And many bitcoin merchants will have this little Litecoin logo on their QR code generator app, and become progressively aware of the existance of Litecoin bearing potential customers.

Which do you prefer?

That being said, I'd like to precise the requirement for the 1500 BTC bounty as follow :
- The application should be able to both read and generate Bitcoin, Litecoin and Bitcoin+Litecoin QR codes.
- Bitcoin QR codes generated by the application should be readable by existing Bitcoin QR code readers (so exactly same format).
- Bitcoin QR codes generated by other generators should be readable by the application.
- The application should display both a Litecoin and Bitcoin logo in a neutral fashion.
- The application should be able to run on at least one major breed of smartphones (IPhones or Android phones).

crazy_rabbit : can you please update my requirements in post #1?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 05:27:33 PM

For me such total interoperability wasn't necessary, but after reading your post it makes sense. The success of any of the cryptocurrencies is good for all cryptocurrency, and making the transition from bitcoin to Litecoin should be easy to do from a users point of view. It's a good idea the interoperability.

Any takers so far?

Look, why are we wanting to have a QR Code payment processor?
To promote Litecoin as a payment solution, and not only as a store of value / exotic alt currency.

So if we are going to develop an app that allows to read and generate LTC QR codes, let's arrange to have it as widely adopted as possible.
If it reads only Litecoin QR codes, it will cater almost exclusively to existing Litecoin users.
Now if it reads both Litecoin and Bitcoin QR codes, it will show in the search results when people search for a Bitcoin QR code processor, and will be used both by Litecoin and Bitcoin users.

The difference?
In the first case, promotional effect nil.
In the second case, many bitcoin consummers will have a little Litecoin logo on their QR code reader app, and become progressively aware of the existence of Litecoin as a payment solution.
And many bitcoin merchants will have this little Litecoin logo on their QR code generator app, and become progressively aware of the existance of Litecoin bearing potential customers.

Which do you prefer?

That being said, I'd like to precise the requirement for the 1500 BTC bounty as follow :
- The application should be able to both read and generate Bitcoin, Litecoin and Bitcoin+Litecoin QR codes.
- Bitcoin QR codes generated by the application should be readable by existing Bitcoin QR code readers (so exactly same format).
- Bitcoin QR codes generated by other generators should be readable by the application.
- The application should display both a Litecoin and Bitcoin logo in a neutral fashion.
- The application should be able to run on at least one major breed of smartphones (IPhones or Android phones).

crazy_rabbit : can you please update my requirements in post #1?

more or less retired.
Vanderbleek

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 07:50:58 PM

Like I said earlier, I will try to work on something over Christmas.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2011, 09:22:20 PM

Like I said earlier, I will try to work on something over Christmas.

Looking forward to see what you come up with. :-)

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 04:31:09 PM

This site might prove interesting:

https://www.bitaddress.org/

Being able to generate addresses like this via javascript could be used to allow a user to walk around with a secure but 'temporary' wallet on their digital device.

On that note, a LTC wallet on a Smartphone etc... could have a 'send to vault' feature where the current balance could be sent to your primary LTC wallet (on your computer, etc).

Previously it was mentioned that the wallet could be hosted 'in the cloud' but I think we should consider carefully the security implications of that. Perhaps in default instances the smart-phone based wallet should be kept separate from a users primary wallet. You would fill up your mobile wallet with LTC much like how you fill up your real-world wallet with cash. Keeping the portable device's wallet copy separate from a users main wallet might be a little bit less convenient, but considering how bad the effect negative publicity can have on alt-chains (Someone crying on the forums about how all their LTC has been stolen after someone stole their smart phone) it might be a good idea to idiot proof the software.

Additionally, many smart devices now have remote-wipe abilities. You wouldn't want to have your phone stolen and have to wipe it to protect personal information while simultaneously destroying your LTC wallet. 

more or less retired.
Nikolas_the_Wonderworker

Activity: 238
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 06:16:26 PM

How touching is the opinion in the posts about the bounty, Lightcoin and other crypto things seven years ago. Although the general idea does not differ from the present with respect to the development of cryptography. I want to ask participants to support this topic and write some real posts.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: