Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:04:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a free file hosting API for uploading,accessing content?  (Read 111 times)
harshalone (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 02:37:02 PM

I am developing a marketplace where I need to serve files. According to my calculation, it will take a lot of space on my server.
Hence I was just wondering if there is a free file hosting API for uploading, accessing content?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
p2pdotbet

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 03:04:20 PM

there are probably few free file hosting services that allow hotlinking. It's just not a sustainable business model, especially if you have an exposed API wherein not even the uploader will have to come to your site. There are also a lot of copyright infringement liabilities regarding public file sharing services.

Free file hosting typically requires certain concessions, such as:

not being able to hotlink
being restricted to specific file types/sizes
limited storage space
not being able to manipulate the data
needing to upload via their webpage or custom software (that potentially contains spyware)
download quotas
Dropbox supposedly allows hotlinking, and I know they have an API, but I'm not sure it's an API that allows you to use it like S3, as it's generally marketed as a personal backup/file sharing solution, not an application data storage service. But I suppose you could give it a try.

For an image hosting service that allows hotlinking, StackExchange uses imgur. I'd imagine Flickr probably has a similar API.

For document (PDF, slideshows, Word/ODF docs, etc.) hosting, I don't think there are any that allow hotlinking, but between Slideshare, Scribd, PDFCast.org, .docstoc, 280slides, AuthorSTREAM, Box.net, Google Docs, and 4shared, you can probably find one that allows you to embed them into your webpage so that the user can at least read the PDF on your page.

To meet all of your requirements, your best bet is to look at paid storage. The simplest solution would be to just use your regular web hosting, since most web hosts these days have fairly generous storage quotas/rates, and direct access and manipulation of the files would be no problem. Otherwise, cloud storage like S3 would probably be the next best option. With S3 you can also use CloudFront as your CDN. Otherwise, you could try these:

Nimbus I/O - a similar web service from SpiderOak, a company that traditionally offers a Dropbox-like file backup/sharing service. They're marketing this as an S3 alternative
Google Cloud Storage - Google's equivalent to S3
iCloud - Apple's cloud computing and cloud storage platform
Windows Azure Storage - Microsoft's equivalent service on the Windows Azure platform
EMC Atmos
OceanStor CSE (Cloud Storage Engine)
Connectria Cloud Storage - advertised as an Amazon-S3-compatible cloud storage service
Many CDNs like Cachefly, Bitgravity, Akamai, etc. probably have direct upload APIs as well.
harshalone (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 21, 2018, 12:52:40 PM

Thanks for the info. by hosting files I mean when someone logs into my website and wants to upload an image for an article. It will upload on the hosted solution and I will just store the hotlick in my database.

Does it makes sense now?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: