Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:29:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-02-16] First Bitcoin conference in Russia  (Read 1053 times)
bitbitcoins (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

bitbitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 09:01:22 PM

http://bitbitcoins.com/moscow-will-host-first-conference-dedicated-to-digital-currency-bitcoin-conference-russia/

"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3190

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:37:20 PM

The article was actually posted on February 5 and not today. That was before Russia declared bitcoins to be illegal. I doubt the conference will take place.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
karolina

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:28:18 AM

The article was actually posted on February 5 and not today. That was before Russia declared bitcoins to be illegal. I doubt the conference will take place.

Makes me sick when people spread misinformation around here.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:45:12 AM

Russia did not declare it illegal.

Moreover the ruling by central bank has no legal backbone... It's just bullshit scaremongering sheet of paper.

Still I don't see that making the conference more attractive.

Go to the xyz Bitcoin conference and have a good time vs go to the Russian Bitcoin Conference and possibly end up arrested.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3190

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 09:05:53 AM
Last edit: February 17, 2014, 09:18:48 AM by odolvlobo

I'm sorry if what I wrote was wrong. Are you saying that this news report is wrong?

(Reuters) - Russian authorities have issued warnings against using Bitcoin, saying the virtual currency could be used for money laundering or financing terrorism and that treating it as a parallel currency is illegal.

"Systems for anonymous payments and cyber currencies that have gained considerable circulation - including the most well-known, Bitcoin - are money substitutes and cannot be used by individuals or legal entities," the Russian Prosecutor General's Office said on February 6.

It added that Russian law stipulates that the rouble is the sole official currency and that introducing any other monetary units or substitutes was illegal.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:07:27 PM

According to the Russian law money substitutes are forbidden ONLY IN PAPER FORM, bitcoins don't have paper form.
[citation needed]
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:08:04 PM

I'm sorry if what I wrote was wrong. Are you saying that this news report is wrong?

(Reuters) - Russian authorities have issued warnings against using Bitcoin, saying the virtual currency could be used for money laundering or financing terrorism and that treating it as a parallel currency is illegal.

"Systems for anonymous payments and cyber currencies that have gained considerable circulation - including the most well-known, Bitcoin - are money substitutes and cannot be used by individuals or legal entities," the Russian Prosecutor General's Office said on February 6.

It added that Russian law stipulates that the rouble is the sole official currency and that introducing any other monetary units or substitutes was illegal.

Russian Prosecutor General's Office is not responsible for interpretation of the laws in Russia - the courts are responsible for that. According to the Russian law money substitutes are forbidden ONLY IN PAPER FORM, bitcoins don't have paper form.

This is something great u r talking about. This is probably the reason of this => https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=468101.0

Can u plz provide some doc/media report that substantiate uR claim ?

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 02:00:09 AM

The theoretical lesbian duo t.A.T.u. (who I love) performed at Sochi, so a bitcoin conference in Russia also has to be theoretical, and it will be fine.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Grinder
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:54:52 AM

Sure, here's a Russian text from reputable techblog: http://habrahabr.ru/post/212369/
And also on the other reputable Russian Bitcoin site analysis from lawyers: http://btcsec.com/cbr_about_bitcoin/
Seems to me they are only speculating that they know better than the Russian central bank how to interpret the legal meaning of the Russian equivalent of cash. Even if they are theoretically right it wouldn't matter if Putin is leaning on the courts to make them agree with the central bank's interpretation. Unless he doesn't care and powerful people behind the scenes disagree with the central bank, it will probably still win. In the end it's all about who knows who, and Putin is unlikely to let anyone who aren't good friends control anything as powerful as the central bank.
notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:09:53 AM

Sure, here's a Russian text from reputable techblog: http://habrahabr.ru/post/212369/
And also on the other reputable Russian Bitcoin site analysis from lawyers: http://btcsec.com/cbr_about_bitcoin/
Seems to me they are only speculating that they know better than the Russian central bank how to interpret the legal meaning of the Russian equivalent of cash. Even if they are theoretically right it wouldn't matter if Putin is leaning on the courts to make them agree with the central bank's interpretation. Unless he doesn't care and powerful people behind the scenes disagree with the central bank, it will probably still win. In the end it's all about who knows who, and Putin is unlikely to let anyone who aren't good friends control anything as powerful as the central bank.

Dont be supprised as powerfull people DISAGREE with cental banks!
The assumption thats banks and govrnments are one is a grose misconseption.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
Grinder
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 12:23:05 PM

Dont be supprised as powerfull people DISAGREE with cental banks!
The assumption thats banks and govrnments are one is a grose misconseption.
It doesn't matter how powerful they are in Russia. If they disagree with Putin they end up in jail or dead.
sshapiroNJ

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 10:49:40 AM

I doubt the conference will take place one more time because bitcoins are declared to be illegal there
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: