Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:41:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coin/Token Distribution Models -- which create the most diverse allocation  (Read 110 times)
bobthegrownup (OP)

Activity: 194
Merit: 29

View Profile
July 19, 2018, 02:22:55 AM

Gearing up for our whitepaper release, I wanted to share some thoughts on initial coin distribution and get some feedback on what is the best way to distribute if the goal is widespread reception

From the little research ive done, I found this Princeton study https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x23C1sQg6wQ that shows that the higher the market cap of a coin, the greater the distribution.

With that in mind it looks like the best methods in order are

1.POW -- widest distribution - but is it the fairest? Favors people with the ability to purchase large hashing power
2.ICO (where the entire/large allocation is released) - think EOS,IOTA,ADA
3.IFO (initial free offering) - like Auroracoin, where all the users had to do was link their facebook and iceland id
4.IBO (initial bounty offering) - Raiblocks and other faucet types, they require different levels of action to receive the airdrop allocation
5.Fork Airdrops - BitcoinCash - most of the allocation is given to the holders of the original chain (in this case it was Bitcoin)

I'm POSITIVE ive over simplified and missed methods, so please -- list more and share your thoughts on which lead to the widest distribution

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
alejandrosn1998

Activity: 158
Merit: 15

View Profile
July 19, 2018, 04:10:58 AM

Personally I would rather POW or Forks/snapshots from other coins. Why? Well like you said distribution. Those for me are probably the best wait to initially distribute coins. Thus being from the genesis block or not. But then comes the case, that you need dev funding, since you are not doing an ICO. So how to obtain a Dev funds, probably block rewards would be your best bet if you choose to go POW. For forks/snapshot, there is usually dead wallets that you could potentially "take advantage of" and use that for the Dev funds. Mind you I "take advantage of" because I don't want know how to put it, but not all dev funds are malicious.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2018, 04:13:47 AM

what is the best way to distribute if the goal is widespread reception

Initial coin offering.

Make it clear what utility value your coin offers and set a date to sell it to the world. If you're willing to give it away for free your coin probably doesn't have much utility value, therefore it's not worth attention from the real money, real investors.

1.POW -- widest distribution - but is it the fairest? Favors people with the ability to purchase large hashing power
2.ICO (where the entire/large allocation is released) - think EOS,IOTA,ADA
3.IFO (initial free offering) - like Auroracoin, where all the users had to do was link their facebook and iceland id
4.IBO (initial bounty offering) - Raiblocks and other faucet types, they require different levels of action to receive the airdrop allocation
5.Fork Airdrops - BitcoinCash - most of the allocation is given to the holders of the original chain (in this case it was Bitcoin)

What is POW?

IFO is essentially how most people interpret an "airdrop", although I appreciate you explaining airdrops correctly as a fork-related event and nothing else.

IFOs, Airdrops, and bounties are the WORST way to distribute your coin. Everyone knows that "free" coins aren't worth anything...ever (except the newest entrants to cryptocurrency who don't haven any money to invest). If a coin has tangible value to the world it isn't released for free, it doesn't have to be. Bitcoin, technically, has never been "free".
bobthegrownup (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2018, 04:33:52 AM

Proof Of Work -- looks like the OG coins have the widest distribution (BitCoin,Litecoin, etc.)
alejandrosn1998

Activity: 158
Merit: 15

View Profile
July 19, 2018, 04:58:35 AM

What is POW?

I'm baffled that a:
Activity:   798
Merit:   593

Hero member doesn't know what POW, looks like you purchased you account.
bobthegrownup (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2018, 06:50:08 AM

So this is the evolution of the models above -- id love to hear your feedback

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4703459

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: