Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 08:54:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Showing I merited 3 people 2 days ago but I never even visited those threads..  (Read 890 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2018, 12:39:52 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2018, 05:05:50 AM by Elwar

I know, I may have been hacked but...

I checked my merits sent and on July 17 it shows 3 different merits given of 50 merits each for threads I have never visited.

Very odd that someone would hack my account just to merit someone.

I have since changed my password but I would have figured a hacker would do some more interesting things with a Legendary account than merit some people.

Or is this a random bug.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nkampala

Activity: 66
Merit: 62

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 12:51:21 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2018, 01:15:06 AM by nkampala
Merited by Elwar (3)

I'm not sure how your account got involved in this, but the 3 accounts are connected. They're sending merit to each other and probably should be banned. Oh ok, didn't realize that mods don't deal with this, thanks for clearing that up.
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 12:53:25 AM
Merited by Elwar (3)

I'm not sure how your account got involved in this, but the 3 accounts are connected. They're sending merit to each other and probably should be banned.

Merit abuse isn't moderated by the forum.
xtraelv
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 12:55:41 AM
Merited by Elwar (3)

I checked my merits sent and on July 17 it shows 3 different merits given of 50 merits each for threads I have never visited.

I have since changed my password but I would have figured a hacker would do some more interesting things with a Legendary account than merit some people.

Or is this a random bug.

Change your password. Check your email hasn't been changed.

Account farmers value merit. Obviously enough to resort to crime.

This may explain how it was done: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4426885.0

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
Troll spotting*Thank you to madnessteat for my custom avatar hat.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2018, 01:31:48 AM

Or is this a random bug.

Change your password. Check your email hasn't been changed.

Account farmers value merit. Obviously enough to resort to crime.

This may explain how it was done: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4426885.0

I always type in websites before I log in. Bitcointalk is always up for me. But thinking about it I did have to log in again several days ago.

Could be a virus. Will check that out.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 8906

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2018, 02:09:23 AM
Merited by Elwar (3)

I'm not sure how your account got involved in this, but the 3 accounts are connected. They're sending merit to each other and probably should be banned. Oh ok, didn't realize that mods don't deal with this, thanks for clearing that up.

E-mail addresses have been changed on all three too, likely hacked accounts.

Clearly someone is working hard for those merits, it's a shame they don't put that effort into making quality posts.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2018, 03:36:51 AM

Just did a scan of my computer so I'm not seeing any virus or anything along those lines. I use antivirus but also do a scan with a secondary program periodically.

I'm curious about who I would talk to about checking the IPs I've logged in as over the past week. Should all be the same country if it was me.

vphasitha01

Activity: 196
Merit: 172

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 03:48:36 AM
Merited by Elwar (1), nkampala (1)

I'm not sure how your account got involved in this, but the 3 accounts are connected. They're sending merit to each other and probably should be banned.

Oh Oh now it is officially spell out "Do whatever with your Merits, you can sell your merits...you can abuse the Merit system...Who cares?". I think that's not the kind of answer we expected from forum staff. This wait and watch game not any good for the forum. So i think now it's time to introduce at least few guidelines regarding Merit distribution. I hope "Theymos" has his plans in mind. Any system has their pros and cons at the early period of time, but system has to be periodically(can decide the time frame accordingly how system reacts) reviewed. Then amendments, revisions and rules to be introduced with the time. Without those 3 activities most likely system will failed which is what we don't want to happen. Because i'm a believer of that the introduction of Merit system is the best thing happened to the bitcointalk forum.  
Crypto_Sassy

Activity: 169
Merit: 18

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 04:22:44 AM
Merited by Elwar (3)

Just did a scan of my computer so I'm not seeing any virus or anything along those lines. I use antivirus but also do a scan with a secondary program periodically.

I'm curious about who I would talk to about checking the IPs I've logged in as over the past week. Should all be the same country if it was me.

I think you need to request to Theymos/Cyrus to check IP address. Only administrator  will be able to check the IP addresses.

I am not sure but all the accounts involved should prove that they still control the accounts. If some kind of malicious attempt is made by anyone involved that need to be banned.

Even forum do not moderate Merit abuse but hacking of account is much more bigger issue and for that forum definitely should take measures.
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 05:41:51 AM
Merited by Elwar (2)

Oh Oh now it is officially spell out "Do whatever with your Merits, you can sell your merits...you can abuse the Merit system...Who cares?". I think that's not the kind of answer we expected from forum staff.

Quote from: theymos
While we will not be directly moderating this, I encourage people to give merit to posts that are objectively high-quality, not just posts that you agree with.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2818350.0

It's not my rule, and it's not a secret!

Scams and the trust system are also not moderated by the forum.

You are free to interpret those rules however you wish.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 16330

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2018, 05:45:03 AM
Merited by Elwar (5)

I always type in websites before I log in. Bitcointalk is always up for me. But thinking about it I did have to log in again several days ago.
Is it possible you clicked a link through Google? Google loves showing phishing site .TO instead of .ORG.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Piggy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1416

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2018, 06:23:20 AM
Merited by Elwar (3)

Do you remember if at the time the merits where assigned you were logged in the forum or online at all doing something else?
xtraelv
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 06:24:42 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2018, 06:37:39 AM by xtraelv

Is it possible you clicked a link through Google? Google loves showing phishing site .TO instead of .ORG.

phishing site
Code:
thebitcointalk.net
is fake too and will steal your password.

It is super easy to get caught out.

These are some links that came up via google that I accidentally posted a while back:

Fortunately someone picked up the error and notified me so I could change it.

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
Troll spotting*Thank you to madnessteat for my custom avatar hat.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2018, 06:41:13 AM

Do you remember if at the time the merits where assigned you were logged in the forum or online at all doing something else?

My computer was online and connected but I wasn't posting on bitcointalk. But was likely still logged in at the time. I don't recall if the next morning I had to re-log in.

I don't click on links to go to bitcointalk. I have been using the site for 8 years, I know the address. I just type in the URL.

TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 07:00:28 AM
Merited by Elwar (1)

Checked the accounts "you" sent merit to and they all 3 are connected, sending merit to each other, just see their merit history.
Well, I always have a lot of doubts in everything, so just as an example here :
(I don't accuse anyone in anything without solid proof.)
If you have sold your merit to, let's say, this group of accounts the only way to justify this act is to    
plead innocent and blame the "hackers".

It's one way to get out clean.
I'm more to believe in your story than the example I gave but there is still a possibility of such act.

The Sceptical Chymist
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 6766

Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 07:20:11 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2018, 07:57:09 AM by The Pharmacist
Merited by Elwar (1)

So OP got his account hacked but they didn't change his password and he recovered it with no problems?  Everything about this sounds fishy.  The accounts that received the merits look very much like they were hacked, but I'm on the fence as to whether they should be tagged or not.  The issue in my head is that they could easily have been sold, and it's not even clear whether OP is the original owner of the Elwar account.  A signed message would be nice.

This looks like it could easily be an alibi for merit sales.  There was another thread claiming much the same thing recently.

Selling merit? No. I like my merit. That's why I only give 1 away at a time.
I'm not accusing you, just suspicious.  I gave negs to the accounts that received the merits, but not to you.  You have to admit that your story would be one concocted by someone trying to get away with selling merits, though you'd be throwing the buyers under the bus.  It is surprising that the hackers wouldn't change the e-mail on your account like they apparently did on the ones who got the merits.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2018, 07:52:20 AM

Selling merit? No. I like my merit. That's why I only give 1 away at a time.

I didn't know it could be sold. Maybe that's as good a reason as any to hodl them.

Easy IP check will show my IP has been the same for the past month.

And I doubt a hacker would continue to answer questions about seasteading for me in various threads. Or be able to capture my oh so classy level of wit. Especially since the accounts that were meritted look like russians.

I've been offered the equivalent of about $1 per post for advertising in my signature. Never went down that path (I advertise Varyon because I support the project and volunteer for the project). I imagine the amount of money paid for merits wouldn't 'merit' even a second thought for me.

Unless they're going for like 1 BTC each then PM me...

arhipova

Activity: 124
Merit: 16

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 08:02:42 AM
Merited by Elwar (3)

Many such cases are being reported here. Is there any other hack or some kind of bug affecting the forum ?
nngella

Activity: 308
Merit: 42

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 08:13:05 AM
Merited by Elwar (2)

I just want to ask, what will be the actions of Bitcointalk if someone has been proven guilty as a merit abuser?
If it is not moderated by the forum, how will they manage it?

vphasitha01

Activity: 196
Merit: 172

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 09:20:43 AM

Why you even bother to type the "Bitcointalk" in the search bar? I just simply bookmarked the boards where I normally read and post. Then tick the "show bookmarks bar". I only logging with those bookmarked links and problem solved, no phishing links at all Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: