Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:10:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Watchlist bug? Missing topics in my watchlist  (Read 143 times)
JeremyB (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 270

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 08:22:46 AM

In my use of the forum I rely a lot on the Watchlist function to know if there is new replies to the topics I'm interested in.
In the last few days I've noticed a problem on my watchlist: a lot of topics are not in my list although there are some new replies in these topics.

Another issue I noticed is the following: I open the watchlist, do not open any topic, refresh the page and some topics disappear, shortening the list.

Are they some know or new issues? Am I alone in this case?

Note: I think it is not related to the problem here but I may access bitcointalk from 3 different devices. I think it is not related because I experienced the issue on one device without using the 2 others for an enough long period of time.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 08:33:08 AM

I am not sure if I have noticed that refresh thing however this is how I understand the watchlist...

If you active "watch" for a topic then any new comment on that topic will show on the watchlist. Once you visit the page then it is no more on the watchlist until another new comment has been posted which you have not seen yet.

If you active "watch" for a board/section then any new topic on that board/section will show on the watchlist. Once you visit the topic then it is no more on the watchlist. From here this new topic will follow the "watch rule" for a topic explained on the 2nd paragraph.

I will try a refresh after posting this and then I will update this post.

update: Refresh is absolutely fine with me.

Multiple device could be an issue. If you visit a topic from your 2nd device and then if you expect to see that topic on the watch list of your first device... - it's not gonna work. What I understand - there is a field on the database with toggle a value. So, visiting a topic from any device basically toggles the watch value.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
JeremyB (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 08:50:07 AM

Thanks for your answer but I know how the watchlist is supposed to work as I use it everyday for more than 1 year now.
The bug I'm talking about is on "watch" for topics.

The "refresh" bug rarely occurred, I just experienced it a few times but it may help admins in identifying the bug source.
Same concerning the other devices, it is only to avoid question around that, the bug occurred without using the other devices and watching new replies with them.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 11:32:14 AM

In my use of the forum I rely a lot on the Watchlist function to know if there is new replies to the topics I'm interested in.
In the last few days I've noticed a problem on my watchlist: a lot of topics are not in my list although there are some new replies in these topics.
You might have accidentally clicked to unwatch the topic (I've accidentally logged out of the forum 3 times in a day on a mobile device before now so it's easily to accidentally hit a random button - especially when hitting quote or something).

Another issue I noticed is the following: I open the watchlist, do not open any topic, refresh the page and some topics disappear, shortening the list.
Probably your browser cache, just keep refreshing the page when you get to it.

Note: I think it is not related to the problem here but I may access bitcointalk from 3 different devices. I think it is not related because I experienced the issue on one device without using the 2 others for an enough long period of time.

Can you try using different browsers also, I assume you might be using the same browser type which would replicate the same issues.

If you watch a board, you've probably worked out already that you can't see things that have been moved there by a user or moderator, just boards that started off being created in that section.
JeremyB (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 12:06:14 PM

You might have accidentally clicked to unwatch the topic (I've accidentally logged out of the forum 3 times in a day on a mobile device before now so it's easily to accidentally hit a random button - especially when hitting quote or something).

Pretty sure it is not my case here. I remembered the topics (there were several ones) and when I opened them again there were still "watched".
Anyway I will try to reproduce the issue to have a concrete case to show.

Will try it but it is quite difficult to reproduce, happened only a few times.

Can you try using different browsers also, I assume you might be using the same browser type which would replicate the same issues.

You're right I'm only using Chrome, will try with different ones.

If you watch a board, you've probably worked out already that you can't see things that have been moved there by a user or moderator, just boards that started off being created in that section.

My issue is related to topic watch not boards.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 01:20:15 PM

Pretty sure it is not my case here. I remembered the topics (there were several ones) and when I opened them again there were still "watched".
Anyway I will try to reproduce the issue to have a concrete case to show.
Yes that won't be your problem then.

Will try it but it is quite difficult to reproduce, happened only a few times.
Sometimes if you get to the watchlist by going "back" also rather than clicking watchlist at the top.

You're right I'm only using Chrome, will try with different ones.
Try firefox for your desktop and see if that works any better.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 09:59:47 PM

Sometimes I also have problem with watchlist, but I haven't identified the problem yet (I was too lazy for that yet Smiley )
So it seems to me that if I click on the watchlist link, and it shows the topics that have new posts, and I don't do anything with it for a half of a day or a longer time maybe, next time when I click on the watchlist link, those topics wouldn't be listed again, but some others which they had new posts since.
It's not 100% sure, but for me it seems like it works like this.
pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2018, 10:52:40 PM

When you make a post, there's an option in the additional options ,known as Watch this topic, you can check on and off, hence that the topic you reply to doesn't necessarily come in your watchlist.

Are they some know or new issues? Am I alone in this case?
Perhaps only you. My watchlist stays intact, no matter how many times I refresh it. And I use Chrome.

JeremyB (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2018, 08:03:03 AM

Sometimes I also have problem with watchlist, but I haven't identified the problem yet (I was too lazy for that yet Smiley )
So it seems to me that if I click on the watchlist link, and it shows the topics that have new posts, and I don't do anything with it for a half of a day or a longer time maybe, next time when I click on the watchlist link, those topics wouldn't be listed again, but some others which they had new posts since.
It's not 100% sure, but for me it seems like it works like this.

Interesting. I don't think it is the intended case.

I think I will do some intensive tests soon to track it down.
Now I'm sure there is a problem, yesterday I reproduced the bug on one of my topic.

When you make a post, there's an option in the additional options ,known as Watch this topic, you can check on and off, hence that the topic you reply to doesn't necessarily come in your watchlist.

Thanks but I speak about topic I follow for a long time, not new ones on which I have replied.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: