Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:28:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to achieve instant payments in Bitcoin-like cryptocoins  (Read 619 times)
Sergio_Demian_Lerner (OP)
expert

Activity: 554
Merit: 632

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 08:06:25 PM

Here is my last article regarding how a PoW base cryptocoin can achieve a 25 second confirmation time using a 5-second block interval, and still keeping the coin safe from stale blocks and competing chains.

http://bitslog.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/5-sec-block-interval/

I think this is the first time such a short block intervals is studied. The techniques I used are not new, but I've managed to simulate the network and convince myself that it actually works quite fine.

I'd love to hear comments...

Kreigyr

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 08:31:42 PM

The biggest issue is that these incredibly short block intervals will lead to tons and tons of orphaned blocks. Network speed/latency will become a pool's limiting factor, not hashrate.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 08:39:00 PM

The biggest issue is that these incredibly short block intervals will lead to tons and tons of orphaned blocks. Network speed/latency will become a pool's limiting factor, not hashrate.

So you are saying that he is lying when he says:

-snip-
still keeping the coin safe from stale blocks and competing chains.
-snip-

Huh
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 08:54:05 PM

Looking forward to Nimblecoin.

As always, a Sergio_Demian_Lerner thread gives me pause to ponder and learn something new.
Sergio_Demian_Lerner (OP)
expert

Activity: 554
Merit: 632

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 09:04:55 PM

-snip-
-snip-

Huh

Well, I cannot claim that I implemented the whole thing, bought 60K servers around the globe, and tested it.
What I'm saying is that I simulated it, and it seems to work.

Simulations of LiteCoin and Bitcoin agree with the empirical evidence of stale block rate, so I suppose the simulation of FastCoin5 is correct too.

drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 09:05:10 PM

Get 'em, Sergio!

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
Kreigyr

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 04:33:44 AM

-snip-
-snip-

Huh

I'm saying it's of limited bearing. A better claim would be that it "keeps the coin as safe from stale blocks and competing chains as possible." The blocks still need to propagate, there will still be competing chains, and because of the short block time, network latency becomes a big overhead.

EDIT: Sorry my first statement; it was made rather quickly after only glancing through the entry, but my thought stands.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: