Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:39:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: #occupywallstreet #operationbitcoin GA Bitcoin Speech for Open Mic  (Read 3904 times)
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 03:52:53 PM

http://bitcoin.witcoin.com/p/1807

It's always the same story. So much talking and bitching, yet so little action to make things change!

People bitch ALL THE TIME against the governments and banks, how bad and how much of a scam they are, etc. And then when we FINALLY offer them a concrete alternative, something that is already here and that COULD work for all of us, they just shit on it and bitch about how much of a scam it must be, how it will miserably FAIL and all that pessimistic stuff.

If we decide that it will fail, and reject it before even giving it a chance, well then yes OF COURSE it will fail. I think the concept of Bitcoin is brilliant, but I'm saddened by all the negative things I already read about it. Why don't we just all give it a try and see, instead of snobbing it right away? No need to invest huge sums into it, but why not all give it a try, do some small exchanges, etc, and see if it eventually takes off and become big? Things like MP3s, Linux, Firefox and Torrents took off, because people embraced it and started using it massively and spreading the love about it. The same could be true for Bitcoin. But If you just reject it right away thinking that it will inevitably fail, well then yes, of course it will!!!

But then after it does (fail), don't come back to us and bitch against banks and how evil they are and how we need to take them down and everything. You had your chance to do just that and you blew it... :-P

Another pessimistic thing I often hear is how it will be made "illegal" by "official" authorities, or how mainstream sites will never adopt it. That's possible, but even then so what? Why can't we start a NEW parallel economy on its own and make it OURS? Screw Amazon, Paypal and eBay if they don't want to support Bitcoins. We'll simply create new sites to replace them!! People need to learn how to think OUTSIDE of the box! Another world is possible if we all work it out together! It's all up to us to create it.

Revolutions don't just happen when people don't do anything folks!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
osmosis

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 12:58:16 AM

Needs more bite... try this:

To those currently occupying Wall St. - Please Listen Up

You're upset with the banks, yet you continue to bank with them.

You're upset with the Federal Reserve, yet you continue to use its fiat money.

You're upset with Wall St., yet you subsidize and support them every day.

The slave who merely grumbles while he endures his enslavement does not advance his own freedom. The banks may have built the cage, but you have locked yourself inside.

There is an alternative to this fraudulent scheme that imprisons you - it's called Bitcoin

It's a decentralized monetary system - no person, corporation, nor government can control it. It is without borders, agenda, or undue influence.

If you care to end the lecherous system that has grown fat off the toils of society, we invite you to come over and discuss.

We're giving away some free donations of this new currency - and we'll teach you how to use it.

Bitcoin will end the banks, if you care to try it.

Message finished.

As performed by a cute futuristic cartoon girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y0wDzoSomU
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2011, 07:40:35 AM

I like the part about the fraudulent system.  Even add a little dramatic pause before you offer the solution...

To those Occupying Wall St (To those Occupying Wall St) Please Listen Up (Please Listen Up)

You're upset with the banks (pause) yet you keep banking with them.

You're upset with the Federal Reserve (pause) yet you keep using its fiat money.

You're upset with Wall St. (pause) yet you keep buying their stocks.

The banks may have built this cage (pause) but you have locked yourself inside.

There is an alternative (pause) to this fraudulent scheme! (pause)(wait a second) It's called...Bitcoin!

It's a decentralized monetary system (pause) no person controls it (pause) no corporation controls it (pause), and no government can control it.

It is without borders (pause)  It is not subject to inflation (pause) It is money controlled by the people.

If you care to end this corrupt system (pause), come learn about Bitcoin!

We're giving away FREE Money (pause) and we'll teach you how to use it.

Bitcoin will end the banking monopoly (pause)

Thank You.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 10:41:26 AM

I like the part about the fraudulent system.  Even add a little dramatic pause before you offer the solution...

To those Occupying Wall St (To those Occupying Wall St) Please Listen Up (Please Listen Up)

You're upset with the banks (pause) yet you keep banking with them.

You're upset with the Federal Reserve (pause) yet you keep using its fiat money.

You're upset with Wall St. (pause) yet you keep buying their stocks.

The banks may have built this cage (pause) but you have locked yourself inside.

There is an alternative (pause) to this fraudulent scheme! (pause)(wait a second) It's called...Bitcoin!

It's a decentralized monetary system (pause) no person controls it (pause) no corporation controls it (pause), and no government can control it.

It is without borders (pause)  It is not subject to inflation (pause) It is money controlled by the people.

If you care to end this corrupt system (pause), come learn about Bitcoin!

We're giving away FREE Money (pause) and we'll teach you how to use it.

Bitcoin will end the banking monopoly (pause)

Thank You.

i would vote for this being the final iteration.
Nesetalis

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 08:32:08 PM

looks very nice... though "Free money" will make everyone think its a scam.

ZOMG Moo!

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 03:19:13 AM

good point.  "We're giving away some bitcoins" will work.

I have a girl in NYC that can go deliver this on the stump.  Is anyone else actually close to Wall Street?

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 03:30:19 AM

I have a girl in NYC that can go deliver this on the stump.  Is anyone else actually close to Wall Street?

Do it! But make sure there's a high quality video!

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 03:40:24 AM

yes!  I will call Stephanie tomorrow.  if she's in town I will have her deliver it and get a friend to video tape it.  She's great!

supertubes

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 12:34:47 AM

yes!  I will call Stephanie tomorrow.  if she's in town I will have her deliver it and get a friend to video tape it.  She's great!

I'm really glad that people want Bitcoin to be a part of the OWS movement, but I would beg you to reconsider this.  I've visited Zuccotti Park three times over the past several weeks and I can tell you this would not go over well.  The General Assembly is *not for speeches* (even if celebrities sometimes derail it).  The GA is how the organizers arrive at day-to-day tactical decisions.  They figure out what to do next in response to the ever-changing conditions, and how to resolve any problems that have come up.  They are at an especially critical moment right now as a stand-off with the city is developing, ostensibly over who is in charge of cleaning the park.

As for as advocating solutions to society's problems – that is what happens all day, every day.  As you might imagine, every single person and group with a non-mainstream agenda is down there promoting it right now.  Bitcoin should be in the mix too.  People are extremely receptive when approached as individuals, so by all means bring down those cards and any other literature and get people involved.

But let's be honest.  Yes, Bitcoin could very well make the entire nation-state system obsolete, it is just that profound, but that doesn't change the fact that you're all looking out for your ROI.  This speech reeks of it.  If the human mic is fed a sales script being recited by a girl that you "have," it will just plain crap out and leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth wrt Bitcoin.

Basically, there are no short-cuts here.  If you want Bitcoin to play a role in the movement, join it.  I for one will definitely be there talking about the role that Bitcoin might eventually play as a network starts to develop between the popular movements cropping up in various cities and countries.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 12:57:56 AM

I'm really glad that people want Bitcoin to be a part of the OWS movement, but I would beg you to reconsider this.  I've visited Zuccotti Park three times over the past several weeks and I can tell you this would not go over well.

But let's be honest.  Yes, Bitcoin could very well make the entire nation-state system obsolete, it is just that profound, but that doesn't change the fact that you're all looking out for your ROI.  This speech reeks of it.  If the human mic is fed a sales script being recited by a girl that you "have," it will just plain crap out and leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth wrt Bitcoin.

+1 and +1

I would strongly suspect you are right on the first point, and I know for a fact that a part of my own interest and some of the work and money I've put in is in hopes of obtaining a more favorable ROI at the end of the day.

Basically, there are no short-cuts here.  If you want Bitcoin to play a role in the movement, join it.  I for one will definitely be there talking about the role that Bitcoin might eventually play as a network starts to develop between the popular movements cropping up in various cities and countries.

I agree with that and have stated so many times in several forums.  Let's try to make Bitcoin generally and obviously useful here.  That should successful and the rewards (and/or backlashes) will fall into place naturally if so.  If Bitcoin cannot make a positive impact in an effort like this then it's probably just as well that it fails generally IMHO.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 02:05:15 AM

I'm really glad that people want Bitcoin to be a part of the OWS movement, but I would beg you to reconsider this.  I've visited Zuccotti Park three times over the past several weeks and I can tell you this would not go over well.  The General Assembly is *not for speeches* (even if celebrities sometimes derail it).  The GA is how the organizers arrive at day-to-day tactical decisions.  They figure out what to do next in response to the ever-changing conditions, and how to resolve any problems that have come up.  They are at an especially critical moment right now as a stand-off with the city is developing, ostensibly over who is in charge of cleaning the park.

As for as advocating solutions to society's problems – that is what happens all day, every day.  As you might imagine, every single person and group with a non-mainstream agenda is down there promoting it right now.  Bitcoin should be in the mix too.  People are extremely receptive when approached as individuals, so by all means bring down those cards and any other literature and get people involved.

Well said... I'm sympathetic to your argument.

I think if we were not trying to give away bitcoins, then it would sound much less salesy... but perhaps much less effective if people don't get a take-away.  Not sure what the best course of action is. I'll default to the judgement of the people on the ground.

And again, you advanced your argument well. +10 points for you.
Sannyasi

Activity: 454

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 02:51:31 AM

it would be cool if some people went and sold things that could be useful to the them like food, blankets, tents or whatever and accepted bitcoins.... if they were being offered there and they had something to spend them on there it would help spread the word even more.... unfortunately all i can do is donate, which I've done otherwise I'd be there trying to do something like this.

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
Nesetalis

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 03:21:00 AM

earning and hard work rhetoric should work far better than the free lunch ideal with crowds like these.. the 99% is the working class of america... they want to be rewarded for their hard work... I know I do :p
Certainly a few of them are of the free lunch variety but they arn't likely to make bitcoin useful.

Perhaps something appealing to the small business owner, another way to take in income that isnt controlled by the states. (of course, you should still pay taxes and all that jazz.. :p )

ZOMG Moo!
Sannyasi

Activity: 454

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 03:51:00 AM

good point, might be counter productive to sell stuff there, especially things people need. just thinking in terms of breaking even or even taking a small loss in profits for the cause.... I have very little money myself so I'm just thinking how I might be able to help if i were able..... maybe something small like keychains that have #OccupyWallstreet. Then they could be bought using only bitcoins since we're all against the banks. perhaps direct someone who wants one to where they could get their free bitcoin/s to spend on it that is very close to where they are being given out. Or if people really don't want to just make sure they know what bitcoins are before handing them out for free. Maybe not that but something similar

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: