Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:22:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which bitcoin wallet is the best?  (Read 25777 times)
klintay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 07:56:40 AM

I was wondering out of the four wallets listed on www.bitcoin.org, which is the best?

1. Bitcoin-Qt
2. Multibit
3. Armory
4. Electrum

I personally have always used bitcoin-Qt but it is very safe as long as you encrypt and password protect your wallet. Newbies should do this as soon as you download your first wallet. However one drawback is it takes forever to download the whole blockchain first time around. I have now tried Multibit and i have to say i am really impressed. Super fast install and straight from the get go you have a working wallet. No need to download blackchain or any of that.

Opinions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 08:19:11 AM
Last edit: February 18, 2014, 08:32:12 AM by sgk

I also switched from QT wallet to MultiBit; and I really like it. Haven't tried Armory but have seen some very good reviews especially how easily you can setup cold wallets and printed paper wallets with it.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 01:58:05 PM

I was wondering out of the four wallets listed on www.bitcoin.org, which is the best?

1. Bitcoin-Qt
2. Multibit
3. Armory
4. Electrum

I personally have always used bitcoin-Qt but it is very safe as long as you encrypt and password protect your wallet. Newbies should do this as soon as you download your first wallet. However one drawback is it takes forever to download the whole blockchain first time around. I have now tried Multibit and i have to say i am really impressed. Super fast install and straight from the get go you have a working wallet. No need to download blackchain or any of that.

Opinions?

I was wondering out of the four vehicles listed below, which is the best?

• Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD pickup truck
  • Tesla Model S
  • Lexus GS 450h
  • Nissan Versa S

Asking "which is the best" without supplying any information about what you want it to be the best at is useless.

The Nissan is the best for anyone that is looking for the cheapest new car they can get.
The pickup is the best for anyone that needs to haul or tow anything.
The Tesla is the best for anyone that doesn't want to pay for gasoline or deisel.
The Lexus is best at providing a comfortable ride with lots of features.

They each are best for their own particular purposes.

The same is true of the wallet.  They each are best for their own particular purposes.  Without any information about your needs and resources, it is impossible to tell you which is best for you.

Do you need access to your wallet from multiple locations?
Are you storing large amounts of bitcoins and concerned about security?
Are you using Windows, Linux, OSX, or something else?
Do you have plenty of disk space available?
Do you have a second computer that you can keep offline at all times?
Will your wallet need to be shut down for extended periods of time?
Will you be wanting/needing to import private keys from anywhere?
Are you capable of maintaining a regular schedule of backups?

These are just a few questions that need to be answered before someone can tell you "which is best".
semajjames

Activity: 528
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 02:14:28 AM
Last edit: February 19, 2014, 03:25:01 AM by semajjames

The same is true of the wallet.  They each are best for their own particular purposes.  Without any information about your needs and resources, it is impossible to tell you which is best for you.

These are just a few questions that need to be answered before someone can tell you "which is best".

Ok I have been trying to get bitcoin qt for 3 days now it has downloaded 15.2gb and now it is stuk at 28 weeks however when i look at the last file modified in the roaming/bitcoin/blocks folder the time modified is always up to date but the file name and file size stays the same

so does the fact that the mod time keeps updating mean that the wallet sync is still happening ??

Also do i need to have this full qt wallet i'll answer the above questions

DIFFERENT PHYSICAL LOCATIONS YES BUT ALL FROM THE SAME LAPTOP,  

YES

WINDOWS 7

YES

YES

I THOUGHT SHUTTING WALLET WAS PART OF SECURITY

DON'T KNOW

YES

thanks

abit2slo

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 03:40:10 PM

That's what I was lookinf for. Thanks,klintay , for possting this. Nice to read different reviews of wallets

fatnlovelyfred

Activity: 63

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 03:40:49 PM

I also use Bitcoin-QT but have heard a lot of good things about Electrum. It has is easy to use and is fast . and you have remote access (not sure if it is pros or cons)
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 04:40:02 PM

1. Bitcoin-Qt
2. Multibit
3. Armory
4. Electrum

I haven't used any of them, but thanks for the list, will look into them.
oktay50000

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 12:28:00 AM

multibit is the winner Cool

BTC : bc1qqz9hvv806w2zs42mx4rn576whxmr202yxp00e9

feel free to buy me a bear
klintay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 03:43:22 AM

Yeah really like multibit too, i find transactions confirm a hell of a lot faster with it than say bitcoin-qt so if you are trading alt currencies then multibit is the winner as speed is important  Grin
hostmaster

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 03:44:12 AM

1. Bitcoin-Qt
i like classic tastes Cheesy
klintay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

1. Bitcoin-Qt
i like classic tastes Cheesy

+1
cyrpi4

Activity: 85

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:18:13 PM

I used to have Bitcoin-qt but after I've tried MultiBit I only use it so as for me it is the best wallet!

Donations: 2235fa09-d5b3-4d5d-9b28-d1281abc1ccb
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:09:51 PM

I tried Multibit. Didn't like the user interface
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:09:47 PM

I prefer Armory because I can have watch-only wallets on my regular computer and sign transactions on my offline computer. The backup options in armory are also great.
bitcoinbitcoin

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 03:19:22 AM

Hello, i'm looking for the most secure method. Thanks for your help!

1. Does Bitcoin-QT have the least potential for bugs it the software, because it is the simplest and oldest? Smiley
And even that wallet had a HUGE encryption bug in version 0.4!
https://bitcoin.org/en/release/v0.5.0

2. Multibit seems to be about convenience over security Sad -- no offline, no encrypted wallet for the longest time.

3. Electrum seems to good to be true. There must be security downsides.
Do the electrum servers automatically know that all your addresses belong to the same wallet?
what other info is leaked compared to other wallets, besides IP address?
other security concerns?

4. So how is Armory more secure than Electrum??
128 vs 160 bit entropy, but i heard that doesn't matter, that key collisions are impossible enough in electrum.
A possible downside to Armory/Electrum, is a bug in its Deterministic method.
But maybe that has been proven impossible?

5. Thanks!! Is there a wallet install guide/discussion that you recommend? Many are outdated or "Rube Goldberg machines."
I still have lots of questions, and i feel bad asking you guys  Cry

Yes, but please explain the question. what does location matter? Laptops are portable enough for me.

Security is my main concern.

OS?
Linux- What's most secure distro, while compatible: Xubuntu?

disk space?
plenty

Yes.

No. Please explain the question? i dont understand. I want to be able to forget about it for 10 years without a problem, but that pertains to the back up method rather than the wallet decision, right?

No

Yes
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 03:57:11 AM

Hello, i'm looking for the most secure method. Thanks for your help!

1. Does Bitcoin-QT have the least potential for bugs it the software, because it is the simplest and oldest? Smiley
And even that wallet had a HUGE encryption bug in version 0.4!

I would expect Armory to be a more secure solution than Bitcoin-Qt, because it allows you to sign the transactions from an offline computer.  This means that the private keys never need to be stored on a computer that is connected to the internet.

2. Multibit seems to be about convenience over security Sad -- no offline, no encrypted wallet for the longest time.

I believe the MultiBit wallet is encrypted, but you're correct there is no offline option for MultiBit yet.  On the other hand, MultiBit doesn't depend on a third party server like Electrum does.

3. Electrum seems to good to be true. There must be security downsides.
Do the electrum servers automatically know that all your addresses belong to the same wallet?
what other info is leaked compared to other wallets, besides IP address?
other security concerns?

I'm not an expert on Electrum, I'll let someone else respond to questions about what attack vectors exist with it.

4. So how is Armory more secure than Electrum??
128 vs 160 bit entropy, but i heard that doesn't matter, that key collisions are impossible enough in electrum.
A possible downside to Armory/Electrum, is a bug in its Deterministic method.
But maybe that has been proven impossible?

The most significant difference is probably Electrum's reliance on a third party server. As I said, I'll let someone else respond to questions about what attack vectors exist with it.  (Note that Armory has had the offline option for longer than Elecrtum.  Electrum offline is a relatively new development for Electrum.

5. Thanks!! Is there a wallet install guide/discussion that you recommend? Many are outdated or "Rube Goldberg machines."
I still have lots of questions, and i feel bad asking you guys  Cry

Each wallet has it's own sub-forum here at bitcointalk.

Yes, but please explain the question. what does location matter? Laptops are portable enough for me.

If you have both an online laptop (for broadcasting the transactions), and a permanently offline laptop (for signing the transactions), and you don't mind carrying them both with you everywhere (just in case you need to, or decide to, send some bitcoins), then I suppose Electrum offline or Armory offline would work ok regardless of location.  Some people (such as myself) would find that quire cumbersome, and would feel that carrying their offline computer with them everywhere would increase risk of theft, loss, or damage to the laptop.  As such, a wallet that can be accessed from a web browser (such as blockchain.info) or a wallet that runs as an app on a mobile phone (such as Mycellium or BitcoinWallet) does a much better job of meeting the needs for small amounts of bitcoins in daily use.

Security is my main concern.

If you are just looking for long term storage and you won't be spending the bitcoins at all, then a paper wallet is probably the most secure option.

No. Please explain the question? i dont understand. I want to be able to forget about it for 10 years without a problem, but that pertains to the back up method rather than the wallet decision, right?

Wallets such as Bitcoin-Qt and Armory require you to have a fully synchronized blockchain to be very useful.  If the wallet is left running all the time, then it doesn't take much for the blockchain to stay synchronized.  On the other hand, if the wallet will be shut down for weeks, months, or years, you may find yourself waiting anywhere from hours to days for the synchronization to complete when you start the wallet back up.

Yes

Armory and Electrum are deterministic wallets.  As such, you only need to back them up once (assuming you never import any private keys).  Bitcoin-Qt (and MultiBit too, I think) generate addresses completely at random. Therefore, if you choose to use Bitcoin-Qt (or MultiBit?), you'll need to peform backups on a regular basis.
bitcoinbitcoin

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 05:29:14 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2014, 05:52:08 AM by bitcoinbitcoin

Thanks for your help Danny!

I think i get the basics now. I guess i'm asking tough questions, like what is the next bug  Shocked

1. Can u remember other wallet bugs besides these?
https://bitcoin.org/en/alert/2013-08-11-android

2. U can make Paper wallets from Bitcoin-QT; You don't need bitaddress.org, right?
 U can turn any of the keys from a Bitcoin-QT wallet into a paper wallet savings backup, simply by printing out the Private key. right?

3. You don't even need to print the public key, because any wallet program reconstructs the public key automatically right?

4. Re: The slow Blockchain download. They have a torrent of the blockchain, that is quick (bootstrap.dat). Is that safe? it seems to be, because your wallet verifys it anyway right? Are there any downsides to using that torrent?

5. For offline wallet on dedicated computer:
  Why does it help to be offline STARTING before installing Linux? I thought it only matters that it is offline forever-- STARTING right before the wallet is created.

But many guides recommend to install Xubuntu & Armory using apt-offline, etc..
That is frustrating. Please explain the benefit. Smiley
  It's so much easier to install the OS and armory/electrum while online, THEN unplug the ethernet cable and superglue the port Smiley
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 03:34:05 PM

2. U can make Paper wallets from Bitcoin-QT; You don't need bitaddress.org, right?
 U can turn any of the keys from a Bitcoin-QT wallet into a paper wallet savings backup, simply by printing out the Private key. right?

It isn't as easy or as pretty, but yes you can.

3. You don't even need to print the public key, because any wallet program reconstructs the public key automatically right?

Correct, but if you don't know what the public address (you never see the public key) is, then you won't be able to send any bitcoins to the paper wallet.

4. Re: The slow Blockchain download. They have a torrent of the blockchain, that is quick (bootstrap.dat). Is that safe? it seems to be, because your wallet verifys it anyway right? Are there any downsides to using that torrent?

As long as the blockchain that you download is fully verified by your wallet, I'm not aware of any downsides.  However, I've never used it. I've always been concerned that my wallet might not do as good of a job verifying a complete downloaded blockchain as it does individual blocks as it receives them.

5. For offline wallet on dedicated computer:
  Why does it help to be offline STARTING before installing Linux? I thought it only matters that it is offline forever-- STARTING right before the wallet is created.

But many guides recommend to install Xubuntu & Armory using apt-offline, etc..
That is frustrating. Please explain the benefit. Smiley
  It's so much easier to install the OS and armory/electrum while online, THEN unplug the ethernet cable and superglue the port Smiley

At that level of paranoia you are protecting against theoretical attacks that are pretty extreme.  As an example, your online linux computer could be accessed over the internet, and someone could modify the random number generator in the operating system so that it generated numbers that looked random to you, but which were predictable to the person that modified your OS.  Then you take the computer offline and install the wallet.  Now every private key that you generate can be predicted by the attacker (since they know what random numbers your computer will create).

xb0x

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

Better don't say if you don't know!

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 03:49:24 PM

Armory / MultiBit - Local Disk
Cold Storage (Long Time) - Paper Wallet
Online - Blockchain.info
bitcoinbitcoin

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:48:52 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2014, 02:06:22 AM by bitcoinbitcoin

Thanks again! Yes, i'm being careful/paranoid.

Sorry about these newbie posts, but i honestly cannot find the answers from google Sad

1. Bitcoin-QT has PPA or tar.gz.  Which is safer?

2. How do u verify the sha256sum & GPG signature of a PPA?

3. Thanks for explaining the RNG attack on a fresh OS.  One guide says being offline for an OS install eliminates the "Back Channel."  What is the "Back Channel"  and an attack vector for it?

4. Which armory/bitcoin compatible Linux distro is most secure for offline wallet?
 i'm thinking Xubuntu or Lubuntu (any difference security-wise?)
Version 12.04 or 13.10?
with LVM full disk encryption & Secure Boot.

Apparently, it's Ubuntu minus Unity DE & Amazon spyware.. Otherwise, they are identical security-wise, right?
Ubuntu is on Armory's website for offline install. And Gavin used Ubuntu before, maybe he still does.
Is there something better now?

5. Are LinuxCoin and BitSafe good options?

6. And for online wallet, is TAILS OS best?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: