Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:56:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternate Cryptocurrencies Rewiew  (Read 2211 times)
wobber (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 02:10:41 PM

PERSONAL VIEWS:

Namecoin: has a technical usage, can be regarded as bitcoin's silver. Trustworthy

Ixcoin: lame and dead. Made about 50 bitcoins while speculating.

i0coin: lame and dead also. Made about 15 bitcoins whule specilating.

Solidcoin: the chain being shut down doesn't inspire me to buy some. So far i can see the effort put in the project but not the results.

Tenebrix: Appreciated but will make 1 guy so rich. I never touched it.

Fairbrix: mined 8 blocks and the coins vanished. shut down the miner and deleted the little prick while had a big grim.

GeistgGeld: didn't tried it.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1343

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 02:16:10 PM

Namecoin: Never touched, but I understand that it might have a useful justification.

Ixcoin: Scam. never touched.

i0coin: Scam. never touched.

Solidcoin: Scam. never touched.

Tenebrix: Scam. never touched.

Fairbrix: Scam. never touched.

GeistgGeld: Scam. never touched.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 02:23:23 PM

Namecoin: Mined a few "bitcoin silver" coins and bought some

Ixcoin: Scam. never touched.

i0coin: Mined few coins when is was profitable

Solidcoin: Scam. never touched.

Tenebrix: Scam. never touched.

Fairbrix: Never touched.

GeistgGeld: Scam. never touched.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 02:34:41 PM

Namecoin: Has a technical advantage over Bitcoin ... basically it's everything Bitcoin is, plus DNS minus network effect. With merged mining, it should be secure now. Might appreciate. Has no GUI yet, for some reason I can't fathom (MultiCoin anyone?)

Fairbrix: Might see some relative adoption. I'm not convinced, but I might be wrong. Has no exchange yet AFAIK.

All the others are too risky IMO.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
bc

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 02:42:01 PM

Bitcoin - gold
Namecoin - maybe silver one day
Others - need a raison detre that innovates, and makes sense, the way these two do.

Briefly, I thought solidcoin might have a future as an edgier, more experimental coin. I was wrong.

"Democracy is the original 51% attack." - Erik Voorhees
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 02:45:29 PM

Geist Geld is 40% edgier and 80% more experimental than any iteration of the Flaccidco(i)n Cheesy

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 09:34:02 AM

Namecoin: Has a technical advantage over Bitcoin ... basically it's everything Bitcoin is, plus DNS minus network effect. With merged mining, it should be secure now. Might appreciate. Has no GUI yet, for some reason I can't fathom (MultiCoin anyone?)

Fairbrix: Might see some relative adoption. I'm not convinced, but I might be wrong. Has no exchange yet AFAIK.

LiteCoin (not launched yet) seems to be very promising. Here is my take on it.

bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 04:10:20 PM

LItecoin - like we needed another scrypt AMD biased shitcoin ! Oh noes  Tongue
ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 04:44:56 PM

You can make an "GPU/AMD hostile, Intel friendly currency" if you think there's a market.
I own an Intel CPU myself ... let's see how it fares.

steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 04:45:21 PM

Bitcoin - scam don't touch
Tenebrix -Scam
Geistgeld - Scam
Namecoin - good
Ixcoin - king of them all.  
Solidcoin - best

There is a theory I heard on the channel, bitcoin is attempting to destroy all alt currencies.  By taking down exchanges, taking down mining pools, or just issuing new coins with tons of pre-mined to sell into the market before taking the exchanges down.  

disclosure: 7000 ixc
150 sc
300 tbx
100 nmc
and 15 btc.
Matoking

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1m8xa

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 04:48:24 PM

Scrypt was created to resist development of efficient GPU-based utilities, not to be AMD-biased. And like SHA-256, it was never designed to be used exclusively for cryptocurrencies, where every processor has equal performance in regards to crunching hashes.

BTC : 1CcpmVDLvR7DgA5deFGScoNhiEtiJnh6H4 - LTC : LYTnoXAHNsemMB2jhCSi1znQqnfupdRkSy
Bitcoin-otc
BitBin - earn bitcoins with your pastes!
ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 04:48:54 PM

There is a theory I heard on the channel, bitcoin is attempting to destroy all alt currencies.  By taking down exchanges, taking down mining pools, or just issuing new coins with tons of pre-mined to sell into the market before taking the exchanges down.   

I see. So the blockchain has developed consciousness already? It's not even 2012 yet!

grod

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 05:25:54 PM

PERSONAL VIEWS:

Namecoin: mined during subsidized periods, ridiculed during patsy only periods.  Made some BTC.
Ixcoin: Jumped on a bit late, but still made a few BTC.
i0coin: Jumped on early, made some BTC.  Still have some.
Solidcoin: Jumped in and out early, made some BTC.
Tenebrix: Jumped in fairly early, made a relative ton of BTC.  Still mining it until Litecoin shows up.
Fairbrix: Have a small amount of coin, not mining until an exchange shows up to allow me to make some BTC.
GeistgGeld: Still have a few.  Got in early, made some BTC.

I think you see a pattern here.  So far the approach of adopting *every* chain that comes along early (with the possible exception of Fairbrix) has been very lucrative compared to doing nothing.   The longer you wait to speculate (whether through mining or investment) the higher your risk and lower your reward, as it is with all pyramids.

It's getting a bit more difficult to choose now that multiple chains are being announced simultaneously.  But so far hopping on the freshest one has been an overwhelmingly winning strategy.
bulanula

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 05:37:32 PM

PERSONAL VIEWS:

Namecoin: mined during subsidized periods, ridiculed during patsy only periods.  Made some BTC.
Tenebrix: Jumped in fairly early, made a relative ton of BTC.  Still mining it until Litecoin shows up.
Fairbrix: Have a small amount of coin, not mining until an exchange shows up to allow me to make some BTC.

I think you see a pattern here.  So far the approach of adopting *every* chain that comes along early (with the possible exception of Fairbrix) has been very lucrative compared to doing nothing.   The longer you wait to speculate (whether through mining or investment) the higher your risk and lower your reward, as it is with all pyramids.

It's getting a bit more difficult to choose now that multiple chains are being announced simultaneously.  But so far hopping on the freshest one has been an overwhelmingly winning strategy.

Nice strategy mate ! Gonna create my own ScamCoin with 130 billion pregenerated coins and make people pay to get some coins etc. ! No more of the mining bullshit.
maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 06:20:06 PM

PERSONAL VIEWS:

So you perpetuated the scams and made some money. What, exactly, are we supposed to take from that?

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
grod

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 01:54:15 AM

So you perpetuated the scams and made some money. What, exactly, are we supposed to take from that?

Just throwing my personal experience out there.  Take from it what you will.

My take on it is: until something changes (alt chain overload? enough dumb people burned by the scam chains?) every chain popping up like a daisy is insanely profitable for the earliest adopters.

It's like bitcoin to date, but with time frame massively compressed.  For some chains 48 hours separated the "early adopters" from the "late adopters."  The alt chains are coming out ever more complete at launch (pools, exchanges launch day) and I wouldn't be surprised if highly profitable "early adopter" window keeps shrinking.

bulanula

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 02:00:12 AM

Just throwing my personal experience out there.  Take from it what you will.

My take on it is: until something changes (alt chain overload? enough dumb people burned by the scam chains?) every chain popping up like a daisy is insanely profitable for the earliest adopters.

It's like bitcoin to date, but with time frame massively compressed.  For some chains 48 hours separated the "early adopters" from the "late adopters."  The alt chains are coming out ever more complete at launch (pools, exchanges launch day) and I wouldn't be surprised if highly profitable "early adopter" window keeps shrinking.

Well what happened in the end to most of these scamchains !?

They died. Same fate awaits Bitcoin, only on a much larger timeframe Sad
Adamlm

Activity: 822
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2011, 06:59:18 PM

You can make an "GPU/AMD hostile, Intel friendly currency" if you think there's a market.
Yeah, let's create a CPU coin for Intel SandyBridge processor users and let's call it SandyCoin  Wink

bulanula

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 08:16:57 PM

Yeah, let's create a CPU coin for Intel SandyBridge processor users and let's call it SandyCoin  Wink

Use SC2.
bulanula

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 11:13:00 PM

Namecoin: Never mined, was gifted 30,000 coins and still holding them.

Ixcoin: SMASHED it at Difficulty 16 with 60 GH /s, made over 600BTC in 7 days

i0coin: AGAIN hit it hard at low difficulty made right at 200 BTC

Solidcoin: Nevermined on a large scale or Nevermind, take your pick.

Tenebrix: Mined a few, nothing major

Fairbrix: Experimental, gave a way a bunch. Still have about 20,000 left.

GeistgGeld: Buying and selling as soon as I get them, made about 68 BTC so far.

Grin Grin Grin

How much of this from attacking ( Namecoin and Fairbrix etc. ) Huh Bet 90% stolen from others at least.
bitclown

Activity: 185

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 11:19:39 PM
Last edit: October 11, 2011, 07:10:47 AM by bitclown

(Bitcoin: Still trading, mining and using.)
Namecoin: Began mining and using it at day one. The economics is flawed; speculators ruined the system by making it too expensive to actually use. Gave up and sold my entire stash.
Ixcoin/I0coin/SolidCoin/GeistGeld: Personal testnets? Never touched.
Tenebrix: Noticed the pumping, bought and dumped, gained 20 BTC.
Fairbrix: Another testnet from someone who openly admits to not being a programmer.
SC2: It's being pumped by its fans, so maybe I'll help them dumping. Edit: Made ~10 BTC mining the initial 30 minutes. Thanks, bulanula!
Bobnova

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 11:26:38 PM

Bitcoin: Mining, selling, don't believe it'll fly.

Namecoin: Mined, sold for BTC, sold BTC.  Don't believe it'll fly.

Ixcoin/I0coin/SolidCoin/GeistGeld: Mined, sold for BTC, sold BTC, don't believe it'll fly.

Tenebrix: Mining, selling, don't believe it'll fly, believe it'll get raped by botnet(s).

Fairbrix: Mined in case an exchange pops up.  Don't believe one will, or that it'll fly.

SC2: Don't believe it'll fly, won't mine unless source is released and it's really *%@ profitable, in which case I'll mine, trade for BTC, sell BTC, and still don't believe it'll fly.

Everyothercoin:  Will likely mine, will trade for BTC, will sell BTC, don't believe it'll fly.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
bulanula

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 11:31:08 PM

Bitcoin: Mining, selling, don't believe it'll fly.!?!?!?!?!?!

Namecoin: Mined, sold for BTC, sold BTC.  Don't believe it'll fly.

Ixcoin/I0coin/SolidCoin/GeistGeld: Mined, sold for BTC, sold BTC, don't believe it'll fly.

Tenebrix: Mining, selling, don't believe it'll fly, believe it'll get raped by botnet(s).

Fairbrix: Mined in case an exchange pops up.  Don't believe one will, or that it'll fly.

SC2: Don't believe it'll fly, won't mine unless source is released and it's really *%@ profitable, in which case I'll mine, trade for BTC, sell BTC, and still don't believe it'll fly.

Everyothercoin:  Will likely mine, will trade for BTC, will sell BTC, don't believe it'll fly.

We don't need people like you here. You are not a "true believer" LOL  Grin
Bobnova

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 11:36:05 PM

Nope, sure ain't.

Who in their right mind buys something over the internet with a currency that cannot be reclaimed if the seller doesn't ship your item?

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
grod

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 03:59:16 AM

Everyothercoin:  Will likely mine, will trade for BTC, will sell BTC, don't believe it'll fly.

There's always a chance it will fly.  However, the certainty of free money trumps the snowball's chance in hell of becoming a *coin billionare, so I dump as people pump.
bulanula

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 04:27:43 AM

There's always a chance it will fly.  However, the certainty of free money trumps the snowball's chance in hell of becoming a *coin billionare, so I dump as people pump.

Nice theory.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: