Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:53:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Nxtopia -- a MMORPG built on-top of the NXT network  (Read 11954 times)
brooklynbtc

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 03:54:38 AM

One thing I learned from reading those links above; it would behoove us to run frequent analytics and develop a Player Price Index.

This in turn would determine if we needed to lower/raise loot drops, mining/resource gathering rates, etc.

The guy was mocked/scorned, but GWB gave a succinct answer to a question at a press event in late 2008, in regards to 'what's wrong with the economy': "We have too much capital chasing too few assets."

totally agree on PPI, lets back of the envelope some numbers...

What if you could expect to "earn" 50% back from playing in the short term. That is, you go into a quest and should expect to make 50% on average of what it cost you to enter the level. Remember this is a game. For fun. Not profit the first minute you play.

However once you improve your char, you could expect an increase on your ROI for playing, and with chance, even take a profit by finding, winning, or forging some special items.

I guess if you forged a "Vorpal Sword of Power +10" with 1000 diamonds (1NXT each), and 1000 magic beans (9NXT each) taking 2 weeks time, for combined value of 10000NXT, you would be burning those items, and PoW creating that item. The item would have a default value of 10000NXT but its rareness would push up the value on the buyers market.

Speculators could buy 10000 Diamonds 10000 Beans for 100,000 NXT and burn those items to make "Vorpal Oppenheimer Sword of Death +100", but if no one will pay more than 100,000NXT thats the creators loss. The more an item costs, the longer it should take to make, so your early adopter deep pocket type will still have to wait 6 months for this +100 sword, and many things may change in the meantime.  

The fees paid would cover network, and fund the growth and allow for profit taking

Question about the game play, It won't be reliant on NXT transactions, other than for payouts, so their wont be a need for thousands of NXT transactions, or waiting for next blocks right?

SN
S   U   P   E   R    N   E   T
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   
Uniting cryptocurrencies, Rewarding talent, Sharing benefits..

Blockchain Technology.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brooklynbtc

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 04:03:41 AM

what happens if I make a donation? Can I make a ROI, or is it just a donation?

i think its safe to say this is a donation to the bounty fund for the hard workers building this, but I think an important part of the development will be to create a "server template" where anyone can make their own quest, realm, or world.

Since this is decentralized it should be free for anyone to issue an asset and create a server.

The servers can all pay a small fee to link to the "central island"

On the central island people can open armor shops, mercenaries etc..

Through these add ons we can make our ROI>..

SN

Blockchain Technology.

dhankitsu

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

http://www.jexpotz.com bitcoin faucet

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 04:05:53 AM

waiting for release date

swartzfeger (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:00:04 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2014, 05:10:18 AM by swartzfeger

what happens if I make a donation? Can I make a ROI, or is it just a donation?

ROI would be optimal, but honestly -- I don't think we're anywhere near where we need to be, bounty-wise.

Twin raised 25k for the reddit tipbot, the same amount we have now.

Our client will be at least 3-4x the amount of work as the reddit project (and I'm probably wildly underestimating that number). And that's just code. We need quality artwork as well.

I think the minimum we need is 75,000 -- 50,000 for development, 25,000 for artwork.

And that wouldn't cover story/worldbuilding, project design/management, community manager, server and other miscellanea. Ideally, I think 100,000 would be a solid starting point.

ROI? I don't think we can expect returns at this point, and only hope for cool, unique swag that no one else will have.

Maybe I'm being a sourpuss and someone will step up and take the 25,000. So far no takers, but we haven't really pushed it either.
ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:49:24 AM

Oh, I agree with the fact that people need goals.
On the one hand I loath "Achievement" systems when badly implemented, but when done correctly (ie. in line with the game context) I admire the grace of such a simple but effective idea. Ánd I fall for it everytime.

Quests, assignments etc. are important. However, I also like them to be embedded in some kind of story.

It's the difference between "Slay n X's to advance" and "Safe my village by exploring the Unholy Cave of Nrgrn!", in which you álso slay n X's, but also are presented with a nice narrative to identify with. Seeing as we have some DM's and D&D players here, thinking up some nice storylines to implement should be doable Smiley

Indeed. I love stories and story-telling.

How can we incent the scripting of such a story? Any ideas? It should be an incentive that would encourage the scripting of good stories even after the start of NXTopia.

What about crafting stories as AE traded items?, could a "story" be quest?, The author issues it as an asset, and it costs 1-10nxt for the gamer to embark upon, with the chance to win NXT and prizes, the admission fee goes to the AE, for funding the quest payouts and the shareholders.

so if you craft a GREAT story, and lots of people want to battle for your Prizes, your AE makes money.

The nature of assets, is they are transferable, so if you LOVE a certain quest, you can buy shares in it, and maybe earn NXT in the real world. and you could back a good story teller with his next story.

The quests could even be their own games, that you play by logging into certain servers. Some are free, walk around town, slaying wild dogs, asking people for news from far away lands, and the harder quests could be decentralized, some fee, some free, with the user deciding on how they wish to play, risk ad all that..

This would encourage great story tellers, who would also have to craft great items and prizes. So awesome if this was all DIY and decentralized.

Riffing here, but you could issue a Battle Royal Asset / Quest, where people all come and fight with great prizes and total inventory loss upon dropping. You could go in and fight, you take 80% of all items you win, the Battle Royal Asset retains the 20%

Just WOW!

I love the idea of stories/quests being Assets!

This will keep me awake tonight Undecided

Do you know what this means? This is really helping creative people!

This is no pathetic try like intellectual property laws or societies like GEMA (Germany).

It's real reimbursement for real artists. Great.

+1000
swartzfeger (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:57:10 AM

Do you know what this means? This is really helping creative people!

This is no pathetic try like intellectual property laws or societies like GEMA (Germany).

It's real reimbursement for real artists. Great.

+1000

Agreed. This will be OUR game. Particular servers could compete for certain players that become well-known for their well crafted story-quests. Maybe even a little famous (in our own little fish bowl), like a hollywood director or bestselling author.
swartzfeger (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:59:59 AM

Nxtopia -- MMORPG built on-top of the NXT network

current bounty: 25,500 NXT

5000 - jl777
1000 - swartzfeger (Transaction id: 12550164158045962834)
3000 - chanc3r (Transaction id: 5658009271669858297)
1000 - MyZhre (Transaction id: 8826881503135433086)
3000 - Damelon (Transaction id: 17094914052077797717)
1000 - DrearyUrbanite (Transaction id: 5539495976647418930)
1000 - brooklynbtc (Transaction id: 7928426557842646935)
0500 - rdanneskjoldr (Transaction id: 91193539943795488)
5000 - msin (Transaction id: 3011638676023709764)
0500 - EvilDave (Transaction id: 1103023256425459700)
2500 - LiQio (Transaction id: 17259695350230030848)
1000 - Pandaisftw (Transaction id: 16708576594121402630)
1000 - eb101 (Transaction id: 11083404370711498345)
xxxx - ChuckOne [will support once mixing/zerocoin is in place]

This is an opportunity to support an online game that leverages many of Nxt's advanced features, one of the highlights being a user-driven crafting economy.

Donations can be sent to 13776816462073143763; please include tx id so I can include it when updating this post and making it easier for James to keep track of incoming transactions.

We're also considering implementing a kickstarter-style tier system for bounty donators. These would be cosmetic rewards that wouldn't be available after game launch. Something like:

10 NXT - badge
100 NXT - cap
1000 NXT - cape
10000 NXT - beta access (?)

Depending on how we handle character death/respawning, these items may be also confer a quicker resurrection.
^[GS]^

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:39:50 AM

I have several years of experience in the development of mmorpg games.
But there are some things I am not convinced:

1) Using the Arbitrary Messages to store the player, that means one NXT by every time you play? is unfeasible.
2) Asset Exchange to trade items? would be easier if I had an own exchange system with NPC trading.
3) Not meant as mining work.

I have not seen a concept of how the game should look. Points of the expectations of the idea are, in my opinion, very little practical.

Regards Smiley
swartzfeger (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:55:28 AM

1) Using the Arbitrary Messages to store the player, that means one NXT by every time you play? is unfeasible.
2) Asset Exchange to trade items? would be easier if I had an own exchange system with NPC trading.

I have not seen a concept of how the game should look. Points of the expectations of the idea are, in my opinion, very little practical.

Regards Smiley

Agree with point 1, disagree with point 2, don't understand point 3.
pandaisftw

Activity: 224

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:37:29 AM

Regards Smiley

1) AMs will only be used to store misc. data if the player wants to export/import data. Most likely (with the current min. fee) we'll keep most data on the server. Only items will be tied to the asset exchange.
2) Imo, interfacing directly with the AE provides a very unique link between the economies. Plus, all asset trading, distribution, etc. is public. Assets can even be traded even if you are not in-game, as long as the asset is in your account.
3) Not sure what you mean here.

You're welcome to contribute your ideas! We're still very much looking for talented devs Smiley

NXT: 13095091276527367030
^[GS]^

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:07:01 AM

1) I understand that for every AM're obligated to pay 1 NXT, you can not "free replace" the content.
2) It is possible that if the AE can be adapted to the exchange of objects, but how do you plan to do that with the NPCs of the game?
3) I do not either, so ask! How mining work?

Regards!
pandaisftw

Activity: 224

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 10:37:08 AM

1) I understand that for every AM're obligated to pay 1 NXT, you can not "free replace" the content.
2) It is possible that if the AE can be adapted to the exchange of objects, but how do you plan to do that with the NPCs of the game?
3) I do not either, so ask! How mining work?

Regards!

1) AM's will be used very irregularly. Probably like once if you update your nick-name, guild-name, stuff like that.
2) This is not a problem. All "hot" assets are stored server-side. In order to sell an asset, you have to transfer that asset to your personal NXT account.
3) Mining will work by PoC + PoA + PoL (Proof of Character + Proof of Asset + Proof of Location). For example, you need a valid NXT account with a character attached, with a mining pick, in order to mine some ore.

NXT: 13095091276527367030
alpha_one_x86

Activity: 281

Developer of Ultracopier and Supercopier

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 11:48:57 AM

I'm the dev of: http://catchchallenger.first-world.info/
MMORPG with internal currency and crypto currency support.
Some tips:
Don't forget good async to support I2P/TOR
Support the encrypted connexion
Anti DDOS/brute force

Cheers,

Developer of Ultracopier/Supercopier and of the game CatchChallenger sold in crypto curency. Include on the nextcoin market.
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 12:21:29 PM

Damelon (or whomever) --

This is a plea for help.

I sense that you've logged more hours than I have in EVE. I've played more WoW than any human should be allowed.

Either the WoW dev team, or the EVE team (I think it was EVE) before game launch hired a respected economist to dissect and audit their in-game economy.

Before we move forward, this really needs to be solved. We don't want Weimar Republic, Zimbabwe style hyper inflation with toilet paper shortages and a common iron shortsword costing a character 100x his monthly wages.

So in-game currency <-> NXT or a separate PoW coin, burning etc -- this is critical.

It's critical because we ignore our relationships, our hygiene, and our careers in order to game. Gamers making sacrifices and using NXT make this the number one issue with Nxtopia right now.

I'm done dicking around with asset and resource spreadsheets for tonight, I need to find that EVE/WoW economist interview.

I have played a lot, but haven't come across this before. Sorry.

I sense that we are becoming feature creeped at the moment, and it's beginning to affect the discussion. Is that a shared sentiment?
Maybe it's time to split efforts in separate directions: one going towards a first attainable plan, and on the other hand to keep brainstorming.

It's still very new, but we now have ideas to work for years!

How's the idea to start planning on the one hand and keep gathering ideas on the other where both efforts feed each other?

This is the stage where normally writers would start on very rough first drafts to make sure they don't stay in "dreaming" stage.

Nothing set in stone yet, but a first draft would give some structure. Smiley

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
apenzl

Activity: 396

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 01:24:07 PM

500 sent
tx 15260598453647834729

brooklynbtc

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 01:43:32 PM

Regards Smiley

Agree with point 1, disagree with point 2, don't understand point 3.

If you are going to win items that are worth NXT then you will need to put in NXT to pay for these items.
Its not like the producers are going to load a server with 1000NXT worth of prices and just give them all away? Somehow there needs to be funding for this.

AE should be properly considered for items. IF lumber, gold, stone, steel, etc are issued assets. There will have to be a FINITE supply, and if we are talking proof of burn for forging, then forget running out of toilet paper, we could run out of steel, glass, etc.

I think for resources we should consider the minecraft example, with infinite raw resources that you can earn. sand, dirt, wood, rock, ore, silver, gold and diamonds. Just remove the grinding nature of hammering bricks, and in its place make a time setting, like

"you have come across a vein of ore, do you wish to mine it?" and it will put according wear on your shovel, pick or sword and take a factor of time (24 hours say) and at the end of that produce Xgold, Xiron, etc..  

Def need a ASIC Pick Axe +1. works well but gets hot and is outdated quickly. ha.

Then same with forging items. There can be certain workshop sets, that can build all kinds of items, but they will be specialized.
Lvl 1 Workshop costs 1000 lumber 1000 stone and can produce simple things. Wood logs, stone blocks, good for castles.
This workshop can be upgraded, with a choice of specialties, that lead to more and more specific and advanced technologies
Logs to Lumber Mill can split to furniture, or arrows leading to fine carpentry or war machines, etc.
A player could hire NPCs to run these things even. A NPC could gain skills in specific trades and you could maybe even sell a well trained NPCs contract if say he was a Lvl10 blacksmith.

I know i'm over brainstorming this whole thing but ideas are flooding in.. I think an important thing is make a roadmap for features, and we do not have to have them prepared, but planned to roll out if needed.

SN

Blockchain Technology.

Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:06:53 PM

I know i'm over brainstorming this whole thing but ideas are flooding in.. I think an important thing is make a roadmap for features, and we do not have to have them prepared, but planned to roll out if needed.

There is no such thing Cheesy

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
brooklynbtc

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:13:50 PM

I dont want to swamp you people, but if you can create a mallable, scriptable game play world, then I will write and create some GIANT AMAZING DM QUESTS

SN

Blockchain Technology.

chanc3r

Activity: 952
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 03:16:51 PM

We just need to brainstorm - so far 48hrs?? i don't think this is too long - maybe not much longer.
Prioritise / Rationalise into initial concept incorporating some USP features.
Make sure we have enough bounty / investment.
Get on with it.

brooklynbtc

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 04:23:59 PM

We just need to brainstorm - so far 48hrs?? i don't think this is too long - maybe not much longer.
Prioritise / Rationalise into initial concept incorporating some USP features.
Make sure we have enough bounty / investment.
Get on with it.

ok clearing up my brain storm posts

quests are modular. even on their own servers, run by anyone who wants to add one if possible

game resources and game play mechanics are universal. XP earned, items found, etc.

Themes, stories, and baddies are quest specific, the author can create them using a template. with random encounters and item drops based on a per turn random roll with decreased chances for harder fights and then accordingly decreased chances for value of drops and special items

servers can set difficulty and reward payout levels, with posted difficulty

SN

Blockchain Technology.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: