Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:38:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WHy do people only buy ATIcards when NVIDA is somuch better?  (Read 11222 times)
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 12:33:42 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IW_engine

Not exactly popular outside the CoD line.  Smiley

I'm going to bet taking advantage of something weird in particular game engines that means a real difference between 110 and 333 fps(I take this comparison from the 110 333 mentioned earlier) is a very small niche in the overall gaming graphics market.  But hey, if you'll throw the cash at it, more to ya.

Jack: vsync or not, you're only seeing however many of those frames your monitor is capable of displaying.  If 380fps means you can do funky tricks people with 90fps can't, then there's something screwy with the engine imho(or it's just old enough that, when designed, they didn't even bother considering multiple-hundreds of fps), but when it comes to what you're actually seeing, you're only seeing what vsync would show you.

Point taken. Was about to start going "Dude theres a such thing as Vtears" And went "oh lol, Right,they're thier because of that"

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
astana (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 10:32:25 AM

Hey guys no troll intended I just wondered why people use AMD/ATI and now I know. Wink

Everyone want's the little guy to succeed including me, but the hard truth is Intel could buy AMD 10 times over if it was allowed to by the government, that's how far behind technology wise AMD is now... They are a mess, their new Bulldozer chips bench 100mhz faster than 2 year old sandy bridge chips  Roll Eyes

Bulldozer will find it's way in between the i5 2500 and i7 2600 and thus be placed in the upper tier of gaming oriented CPUs so just where AMD aims their products (No you don't need a i7 hexacore to play games). While it's indeed a bit late they made a processor on a new architecture that will lead the way for upcoming generations, not to mention that a new architecture takes time to develop and delays are unavoidable. Also, the FX series overclock like crazy with a pretty low price.

Not sure how that found it's way in in a NVIDIA vs. AMD thread but ye, Intel will probably always be better though they wont beat AMD at price/performance :3
[/quote]

Well ATI is owned by AMD, Intel would buy Nvidia but anti trust law suits would come as soon as the merger.

Problem is Intel is going to drop the 2500K to $150/$125 when sandy bridge-E X79 comes out, and at that price point it smokes Bulldozer pound for pound. I love AMD, I wish they would be like they were back in the X2 64 days when they pushed Intel hard to compete with them but the way Bulldozer turned out people are going to be losing their jobs  Embarrassed. It's not as bad as some thought, but really they should of done better.

I would never buy first release/gen technology, you always lose out because it takes them 6-12 months to iron out the bugs/bios updates and costs you a premium.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 05:23:17 PM
Last edit: October 14, 2011, 03:06:11 PM by JackRabiit

Hey guys no troll intended I just wondered why people use AMD/ATI and now I know. Wink

Everyone want's the little guy to succeed including me, but the hard truth is Intel could buy AMD 10 times over if it was allowed to by the government, that's how far behind technology wise AMD is now... They are a mess, their new Bulldozer chips bench 100mhz faster than 2 year old sandy bridge chips  Roll Eyes

Bulldozer will find it's way in between the i5 2500 and i7 2600 and thus be placed in the upper tier of gaming oriented CPUs so just where AMD aims their products (No you don't need a i7 hexacore to play games). While it's indeed a bit late they made a processor on a new architecture that will lead the way for upcoming generations, not to mention that a new architecture takes time to develop and delays are unavoidable. Also, the FX series overclock like crazy with a pretty low price.

Not sure how that found it's way in in a NVIDIA vs. AMD thread but ye, Intel will probably always be better though they wont beat AMD at price/performance :3

Y'know... I was about to flame the fuck outta you for saying that the bulldozer's were going to "settle in" between the i5-i7 high enders.
But then i kept reading and noticed that you know what the fuck your talking about lol.
If Game/Program coding stays the same. Then Yes, I could totally see the Bulldozer Zambezi chips being a failure, However. They're are two words that always seem to go "haha"
Moores Law.
As it stands.. I do not belive that the bulldozer will "settle" in where you estimate it to, I think it if they get it right... And they use all 8cores properly. Then No Way, is it "weak as or strong as" the Intel i7EX.
I'll admit im an AMD fanboy. (loved the athlonIIx64's vs Intel core2)

Wait where am i going with this.....
Oh. if AMD doesnt do some good coding for thier cpu's Then yeah, it's gonna perform like an i7.
But considering the 16core Instanbul... i think they'll get the coding done just fine.... After a year LOL.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 05:40:48 PM

I don't get this, is it price? I thought people would be investing in NVIDIA 580GTX's rather than ATI.

What gives?

Oh. Question for You. What caused you to think of Any reason as to why people would be picking GTX580's.... Dual GTX580's in SLI= 5-11more fps than One 6990

Nvidia argues that the 6990 is not one video card, And that it is nothing more than two 6970's togeather
So nvidia feels they have the right to run two of thier card against the 6990.

UHHMMM DERP? the 6990 fills One slot, And can go Quadfire without issue.
Thats 8GPU's And Four cards.

Nvidia would only beable to do QuadSLI and get 4GPUs

Lol=Half the strength

Nvidia believes that the 6990 is not """A""" video card because it has two GPU's, This is why they claim that thier Single Gpu GTX580 is better. HOWEVER, YOU NEED TWO GTX580'S!!!! to match ONE 6990.

Or In laymens terms.
6970+6970=THE 6990.
GTX580=GTX580
GTX580+GTX580=Two video cards

They constantly claim that the 6990 is not one video card, But that it is infact Two video cards.

Note:One GTX580 beats the 6970. But were not talking about ""A"" 6970 Were talking about """A""" 6990

So heres what Nvidia's claims are Acutally saying.

Nvidia "our GTX580 is better than your HD6970x2 because you need two of them to make One 6990"
AMD "Dude, It fits in one slot, It can Quadfire with no issues, And they're is not such tech to go beyond quadfire, So your claiming that were placing Eight cards into a "crossfire" allignment, Wich is physcially impossible to do"
Nvidia "It's two 6970's in crossfire inside a box plugged into one slot"
AMD "And whats the problem? Whats "WRONG" about two cards being compressed into One card."
Nvidia "It's not One GPU it's Two GPU's So that Two Graphics Proccesing Units"
AMD "Two GPU's Combined into One Card, That fits into One slot, That Crossfires and Quadfires without issue, Prooving that it's one card, Because it's theirs no such thing as 8way crossfire"
Nvidia "But our one GPU beats your one GPU"
AMD "Thats not the point, This is about the faster graphics card, If i get shit done Faster, Better, And fit into the same slot, I dont see why im Void of being called ""A"" GPU Because i dont think you can stick Two Different GPU's into the same PCI-E slot at the same time"

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 08:11:26 PM

Lol, nvidia is so funny

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 08:19:32 PM

If I were Nvidia I would do the same thing.  It is called marketing.

AMD claims to have the fastest graphics card.
Nvidia claims to have the fastest GPU.

For 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of consumers it means the same thing.

This gives Nvidia an even fight in marketing department.  If they outmarket AMD then a majority of consumers will think Nvidia has the fastest card.

Nvidia isn't lying just relying on the fact that most consumers are "mentally lazy".

Honestly if I was an Nvidia shareholder and they WEREN'T doing this I would be pissed because it is their job to mazimize shareholder wealth and creating value from the technicallity that they have the fastest chip is one way to do that.

Reality check.  most consumers don't care about TDP, and slot designs, reference coolers, shader couts, ALU efficiency, etc.  They want a "fast" (can't even really define that) card so they can go "pew pew" and shoot their friends online.  If they think Nvidia is "fast" then they will buy an Nvidia even if their budget only allows them to get is a 550 GTX Ti.  550 is close to 580 right?   Grin
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 11:21:36 PM

If I were Nvidia I would do the same thing.  It is called marketing.

AMD claims to have the fastest graphics card.
Nvidia claims to have the fastest GPU.

For 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of consumers it means the same thing.

This gives Nvidia an even fight in marketing department.  If they outmarket AMD then a majority of consumers will think Nvidia has the fastest card.

Nvidia isn't lying just relying on the fact that most consumers are "mentally lazy".

Honestly if I was an Nvidia shareholder and they WEREN'T doing this I would be pissed because it is their job to mazimize shareholder wealth and creating value from the technicallity that they have the fastest chip is one way to do that.

Reality check.  most consumers don't care about TDP, and slot designs, reference coolers, shader couts, ALU efficiency, etc.  They want a "fast" (can't even really define that) card so they can go "pew pew" and shoot their friends online.  If they think Nvidia is "fast" then they will buy an Nvidia even if their budget only allows them to get is a 550 GTX Ti.  550 is close to 580 right?   Grin
+1
Story of human trading

pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 12:04:35 AM

Info on cod fps.

http://wiki.modsrepository.com/index.php/Call_of_Duty_:_A_Study_on_FPS
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 03:53:07 AM

My 6950 new, cost $300. Unlocked to a 6970 and performs 10% less than a 580, for <¾ the price.

GPU's are priced accordingly for there performance. 580 is more expensive than a 6970 for this reason. nVidia DOES have the 590, which IS better than a 6990, though only slightly and at *much* higher power consumption. (To me, this is nVidias biggest drawback!)

Both teams have driver issues. They both suck in that aspect.

And, 2x 6990=Quad fire!

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 11:44:36 AM

Who cares about cod? We have BATTLEFIELD 3

pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 12:00:08 PM

I was leaning the link towards saethan.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47507.msg566804#msg566804
But next time I will quote Smiley.

Second, Bf3 is shit. I won't even go there for the reasons of this. Have fun being raped by EA/Dice.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 03:10:10 PM

I was leaning the link towards saethan.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47507.msg566804#msg566804
But next time I will quote Smiley.

Second, Bf3 is shit. I won't even go there for the reasons of this. Have fun being raped by EA/Dice.
Ten Moar Points To Victory, EA games either Smash the game outta the park and it's Awesome.
Or it's a FUCKING PEICE OF SHIT

Whats this about the GTX590 being faster than dual 6970's(The 6990)

Also, Just did some studying.. And yeah... No reports in either direction of weather or not some dude has hooked up four 6990's

P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 03:20:30 PM

Just for the record, nVidia also has the 100% CPU bug. At least it has on my old ubuntu rig thats temporarily running a 8800GT. 100% load.

The LT

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 03:36:51 PM

Wow, is this really worth a discussion?
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 01:24:12 AM

Wow, is this really worth a discussion?
not anymore

bronan

Activity: 774

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 11:04:13 AM
Last edit: October 15, 2011, 01:53:28 PM by bronan

lol
my 2 cents on this is easy

NIVIDIA suxx big time i have had the most dying cards from nvidia, the worst drivers, and is the biggest scammers with endless rebranding the same product.
Now even today after 4 months of use another card died and again a nvidia crap. So the score this far NVIDIA 5 out of 8 died, dead, kaput, gone
ATI only 1 really died out of 27 true 1 other has been replaced but it was still working even with 110 c temps.
and yes when you use these cards when overclocking in time they will slow down, but then again you wanted to overclock and in most cases they will not die completely.
This far all the cards except the dead one, are still working but not overclocked by family and friends and all are happy with my old cards.
Yes ati needs to put some more money on the driver design which in my view will pay off big time, but i do favor any ati above all nvidia only on the low budget cards i say it does not matter which you buy.

Sure nvidia works on a few games better on their product but YOU PEOPLE must understand those games are totally made for these cards and the makers make sure ati will never run better then the paying big time scammer nvidia.
Yes nvidia pays them a lot of money for keep their product fastest, in products where no cards are favored by the secret donations ( or whatever you wanna call the payements made by nvidia )  you see a totally different score.
Now yes some games will benefit from one or the other but to call ATI crap is way too stupid the parts ati uses are way better quality as nvidia is doing, hence the nice cheap capacitors who blew up. ATI has been using the best japanese ones as far as i know. And again has a way lower dying rate

So to end this discussion NVIDIA sells crap period.
shakaru

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 12:04:16 AM

Sure nvidia works on a few games better on their product but YOU PEOPLE must understand those games are totally made for these cards and the makers make sure ati will never run better then the paying big time scammer nvidia.
Yes nvidia pays them a lot of money for keep their product fastest, in products where no cards are favored by the secret donations ( or whatever you wanna call the payements made by nvidia )  you see a totally different score.
Now yes some games will benefit from one or the other but to call ATI crap is way too stupid the parts ati uses are way better quality as nvidia is doing, hence the nice cheap capacitors who blew up. ATI has been using the best japanese ones as far as i know. And again has a way lower dying rate

So to end this discussion NVIDIA sells crap period.

Um....what?! You win the award for #IDontHaveTheFactToBackThisUp

You need to do some research into what DirrectX and OpenGL are. What a function call is. How a driver affects hardware and what rebranding is (ie. Buy a emachine and slap AndyComp on it. That is rebranding. Buying a design, building it on Pcb and fabrication and selling it, not rebranding)

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                       ▄███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▄
                     ▄█████▄▄██████████████▄▄█████▄
        ██████  █████████▄████████████████████▄█████
        ██████  ███████▄████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄████
                      ▄██████▀████████████▀██████▄████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
                     █████████████████████████████████
            ██████████▀██████▄████████████▄██████▀████
            ███████████▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄███
                    █████▀████████████████▄▀██████▄
                     ▀█████▀▀██████████████▀██▀██████▄
                       ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 12:48:09 AM

the cpu bug thing? yeah, I had that.... on my Nvidia GT 240... 100% CPU usage on 1 core while mining.
now with my Radeon 6790 I have 0-1% cpu usage...

ZOMG Moo!
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2011, 01:34:17 AM

Please, Just Stop.
bronan

Activity: 774