Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:46:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CEX - Hack in Progress!  (Read 1894 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
OleOle (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:26:11 AM

I'm probably not the only one who has a CEX account which is being attempted to be hacked right now Sad

I've spoken with CEX Support who state that as I've 2-factor authorisation, I should be okay but as I didn't see any mention of this hack in progress here on the forum, I wanted to let people know.

Check your email, you may see multiple "Failed Authorisations" from CEX as the hacker repeatedly attempts to brute-force your password.

I was still able to log in with my correct credentials and through there, contacted support. They are aware of it.

Hopefully all your accounts are safe.

Undecided

Please note: topic self-moderated to keep the CEX haters away.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
OleOle (OP)

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:43:15 AM

Attack seems to have stopped... at least, the "Failed Authorisation" emails have stopped.

Smiley

CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:04:53 AM

Attack seems to have stopped... at least, the "Failed Authorisation" emails have stopped.

Smiley

Probably moved on to easier targets.  Good for you for using 2FA.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
huryde

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 04:18:05 AM

Yeah, they finally stopped trying on mine also. Went on for about an hour. I honestly don't have any balance there anyway. It was super annoying seeing over 700 attempts but rewarding at the same time knowing my pw was strong enough.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4485

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:22:43 AM

and how would they get your usernames to even try it...

think long and hard about the possibiities

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
OleOle (OP)

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:32:56 AM

It doesn't take a genius to get a username Wink

DeathProxy

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

World's First Crowd Owned Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:58:30 AM

They should understand by now bruteforcing online is not the best to do it. If they got the database and bruteforcing offline now that could be another story.

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:33:18 PM

It's in his sig  Wink
clownius

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:02:42 PM

Wow 700 attempts you think a professional site would have some anti-brtue force timeouts in place.  Heck most forums and torrent sites lock down attempts to bruteforce very quickly. 

Three times and either the account locks for x time or the IP does is fairly basic protection but it bloody works.
huryde

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 01:43:56 PM

I sent support a message mid hack as the failed attempts were coming in. best they said to do was change my email and password. all attempts were different ip address so the probably had control of a botnet. That kind of makes sense but my password held up so maybe i shouldn't change it.

anyway there is no way to change my username, thats part one of what they need to hack in.

cex should be using a unique id instead of user names in their referral links imo.

clownius

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:49:12 PM

Could be anon-proxies too.  I have about a thousand of them banned on one server i run for just this reason.  Constantly used for bruteforce attempts.

Thats where an account timeout helps. Continued failures and the account gets locked an hour.

A good bruteforce is going to require tens of thousands of attempts unless the user is very stupid (and used a password like passw0rd).  Its rare anyone has that many proxies to burn but even if they do lock the account for 10mins to an hour after every x failures and the chance of a bruteforce working are close to zero.

Edit:  I wont mention what i think of your suggestion of security by obscurity.  Its something but if you wish to pin your hopes on it god help you.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:06:23 PM

I sent support a message mid hack as the failed attempts were coming in. best they said to do was change my email and password. all attempts were different ip address so the probably had control of a botnet. That kind of makes sense but my password held up so maybe i shouldn't change it.

anyway there is no way to change my username, thats part one of what they need to hack in.

cex should be using a unique id instead of user names in their referral links imo.

They were using Tor
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 12:03:51 AM

password resets no longer allowed on cex either.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
OleOle (OP)

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:16:02 AM

Probably about time we changed the name from 'Bitcoin' to 'Hackcoin'.

Hardly a day goes by without some sort of hacking incident  Sad

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: