Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:18:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I don't Support KYC in cryptocurrency as it is  (Read 3252 times)
marlonbatotoy

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 08:21:31 AM

Well i agree with you.. In kyc all your details is in there.. What if that fake ico having a scamming project.. Even we dont have any case for that but how about the details that we put in there.. In any ico i understand they dont want them to be scammed but how about us? The security of the investor or the bounty hunter..?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Olalomi

Activity: 490
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 08:54:19 AM

There is no justification for any of those ICOs getting my personal information in the name of KYC for any reasons knowing the fact that most of these ICOs will disappear into thin air after collecting and raking in millions of dollars even with my personal details, Cryptos are mostly transacted anonymously without any fuss of kyc.
camric09

Activity: 224
Merit: 11

BitHostCoin.io

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 09:05:11 AM

There is no justification for any of those ICOs getting my personal information in the name of KYC for any reasons knowing the fact that most of these ICOs will disappear into thin air after collecting and raking in millions of dollars even with my personal details, Cryptos are mostly transacted anonymously without any fuss of kyc.

You have a point, but what should we do if a popular exchanges requiring us to undergo kyc? And what to do too if a popular project requires us to do kyc too before making investments?

│      Whitepaper      │            ▰▰▰  BITHOST  ▰▰▰            │            The Coin With Implemented Project            │      Announce      │
―――――            COMPLETE SOLUTION FOR HOSTING WITH CRYPTOCURRENCY            ―――――
│     Telegram     │     Twitter     │     Facebook
joseyphil82

Activity: 742
Merit: 16

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 09:42:17 AM

KYC is used to control cheating and multiple account holders but I still go against it because it seems very dangerous to me ,revealing your I.d with home address and other security number is not safe ,I'm hoping that in the future another way will be introduced to tackle cheater ,kyc just doesn't cut it , its not safe ,and I'm sure 80% of people in cryptocurrency don't like it either.

alonia99

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 10:06:48 AM

You are right
Maybe they will use our images for a bad purpose, which is no longer just security  Angry
But KYC also eliminates cheaters when participating in their program  Cool
Jose Rizal

Activity: 273
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 02:13:03 PM

You are quite right. Not all KYCs are actually safe for one to do. Apart from ICOs, some airdrops sometimes require KYC of which you will later realize the airdrop to be fake. What then happens to the information they collected? Will it still be safe?

Actually, I dont really that agree with KYC, due to the fact that it was very demanding, in terms of the thing that they are looking forward to gather to the participants, and as a student right now, I am likely to have nothing by myself since I was still living with my parents, and currently studying here, and I have heard that they are demanding for passports and driver's license which I dont have either, I dont generalized.

m.roth

Activity: 44
Merit: 5

/be the change/

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 02:14:35 PM

I wonder how many of you with concerns about kyc (if you embrace the vision of bitcoin and its anonymity i fully understand) are shopping online, booking flights, are on social media, using wifis, register for certain services. Maybe people in this forum are not comparable to the rest of the world, but in general people don't really care about this subject. But scandals like the cambridge analytica are probably just the tip of the iceberg of data abuse. I am not even talking about scammers per se, i imagine that a lot of "legit" businesses are trading data, making money out of it, and don't give a crap about our privacy.  Although for me personally, full anonymity is not necessary, but a decision, i want to be in control of my data and decide who has access to it, and if someone wants to use my data they actually should pay me!
Macinto$h

Activity: 546
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 02:20:06 PM

I, too, do not support him, and I try not to participate in projects that have him. But sometimes it is introduced at the very last moment.
teehaa

Activity: 20

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 02:32:17 PM

yeah, I totally agree with you. we should be only giving our identity to trusted entities. giving it to anyone may result to identify theft. though KYC intention is to prevent people from doing such things. but the last question we should ask to yourself, are they trustworthy.
Fatanut
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1059

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 03:07:50 PM

I wonder how many of you with concerns about kyc (if you embrace the vision of bitcoin and its anonymity i fully understand) are shopping online, booking flights, are on social media, using wifis, register for certain services. Maybe people in this forum are not comparable to the rest of the world, but in general people don't really care about this subject. But scandals like the cambridge analytica are probably just the tip of the iceberg of data abuse. I am not even talking about scammers per se, i imagine that a lot of "legit" businesses are trading data, making money out of it, and don't give a crap about our privacy.  Although for me personally, full anonymity is not necessary, but a decision, i want to be in control of my data and decide who has access to it, and if someone wants to use my data they actually should pay me!
There's no law in most countries that determines whether or not cryptocurrency is legal. I think most crypto users just don't wanna be haunted by their past (for being a crypto user) once there's finally a law about it. Currently there's no law that says we have to disclose all of our crypto earnings and by the time that comes, you obviously want to stay as low-key as you can and put as little number as possible because otherwise it might raise suspicions. True that we don't do anything illegal in here but it's much better to play safe. Plus, there's just no explanation as to why KYC should be necessary in participating in a particular ICO. They really have nothing to do with our data anyway other than determining basic information like age, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Also, those that you have mentioned have nothing to do with cryptocurrency at all. All of them are being used by almost everybody.

KYC is used to control cheating and multiple account holders but I still go against it because it seems very dangerous to me ,revealing your I.d with home address and other security number is not safe ,I'm hoping that in the future another way will be introduced to tackle cheater ,kyc just doesn't cut it , its not safe ,and I'm sure 80% of people in cryptocurrency don't like it either.
And just how many crypto that required KYC turned out to be legit, right? They are mostly scams so you're really going to worry about what they're going to do with your data.

You have a point, but what should we do if a popular exchanges requiring us to undergo kyc? And what to do too if a popular project requires us to do kyc too before making investments?
There are actually some exchanges that requires KYC so you can do large transactions. On the other hand, there are also tons of exchanges that don't. You can just use a different exchange.

Popular project =/= Legit Project =/= A project that will give you earnings. You can simply not participate in it. It depends on you which is more important, revealing your identity or participating in a project that may or may not turn out to be a scam and may or may not work out.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

Hitesh shaveta ohri

Activity: 98

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 03:16:00 PM

I think, Apart from ICOs, some airdrops sometimes require KYC which are fake. Hence we give the information to the hackers. So it is not always safe.
KofiAdepa

Activity: 140
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 03:28:24 PM

You are absolutely right, some KYC demands too much and I'm sometimes like what at all are they using it for, only God knows. But franly speaking KYC is not safe and we should be careful the people we hand out our data to.

●  ●  ●    Auditchain    ●  ●  ●
◄►  REAL-TIME ASSURANCE. ONE BLOCK AT A TIME  ◄►
m.roth

Activity: 44
Merit: 5

/be the change/

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 03:45:46 PM

There's no law in most countries that determines whether or not cryptocurrency is legal. I think most crypto users just don't wanna be haunted by their past (for being a crypto user) once there's finally a law about it. Currently there's no law that says we have to disclose all of our crypto earnings and by the time that comes, you obviously want to stay as low-key as you can and put as little number as possible because otherwise it might raise suspicions. True that we don't do anything illegal in here but it's much better to play safe. Plus, there's just no explanation as to why KYC should be necessary in participating in a particular ICO. They really have nothing to do with our data anyway other than determining basic information like age, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Also, those that you have mentioned have nothing to do with cryptocurrency at all. All of them are being used by almost everybody.

I was just trying to point out the discrepancy between caring so much about data abuse from a kyc, but using other services (yes, which have nothing to do with crypto) so blindly. And as u say, almost everybody use those services.

Popular project =/= Legit Project =/= A project that will give you earnings. You can simply not participate in it. It depends on you which is more important, revealing your identity or participating in a project that may or may not turn out to be a scam and may or may not work out.

I totally agree, and I am not pro kyc per se, i just think an ICO has also the right to determine if they want to know who is investing in their project (irrespective of scams), especially if they establish their business in locations where it's already possible to act fully compliant with existing or new regulations.
Triwiyono

Activity: 504

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 03:53:36 PM

your reason is quite reasonable. but if kyc is needed in a bounty program, I think it's not a problem if our data is safe. if we only upload an identity card, passport, can it harm us physically or materially ? in my opinion, kyc is important because it can reduce scammers who want to try to steal from us.

███ TWITTER WapSwap Finance WHITEPAPER ███
███ ANN World's First Chain Balancing Token (CBT) FACEBOOK PAGE ███
███ TELEGRAM AMM MEDIUM ███
putrii

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 03:55:29 PM

Yes, you have a statement that has the truth because if you give your identity that is very confidential, maybe what you will get is only a loss so that you will experience a very high risk in the future.
Dvibes

Activity: 51

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 03:59:49 PM

KYC is as risky as you pointed out. The ones that baffles me most is when airdrop program also demands for KYC.

Although have done some few kyc but am not really confident about the scheme to collect those information. Seems like everything is in the open in crypto

Is hard to trust the system really
rickn

Activity: 406
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 08:27:19 PM

I agree that there is no security in the KYC process, but unfortunately this is the only form currently in the game if you participate in the ICOs that are released
Xenophoto

Activity: 826
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 15, 2018, 02:37:40 PM

your reason is quite reasonable. but if kyc is needed in a bounty program, I think it's not a problem if our data is safe.

That's exactly what the problem is. We have no idea what they are going to do with the data after the ICO and we don't even know why is it so important to them that they had to require it in the first place.

if we only upload an identity card, passport, can it harm us physically or materially ? in my opinion, kyc is important because it can reduce scammers who want to try to steal from us.

Have you been watching the news? People's identity are being used online. For example, since you have uploaded an ID, the person to whom your data was sold or given to already has your ID as well as your name. They can go on Facebook, look up your name, take your photos, create a profile with your pictures, and do trades with people and they would look legit because they are able to upload your ID. Even in exchanges that uses IDs, they can use your ID there, or even when transacting with someone online that requires identification. There's so much people can do with your ID so I suggest to stay away from KYC requirements unless there is a solid reason as to why they are requiring it.

florianuhlemann

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 11:52:18 AM

I believe that it is impossible to guess what documents and to whom you can send. I believe that need this to do with files which not so are important
Gonzaleti

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 01:50:53 PM

everyone has opinions, including you. very many reject the use of KYC on each bounty because it is vulnerable to being misused but we cannot refuse it. the policy comes from the owner of the coin or the company that will release the coin that held the bounty. so that we can only obey the rules that have been made. KYC exists because many multiple accounts are registered on a bounty.
Actually we cannot 100% secure our data. For small things, for example, we have a car loan, of course using KYC to complete administration. To open a bank account, KYC must be completed. The problem is that fear of verified personal data will be misused for criminal activities.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: