Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:06:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Please. Lost IP Address/Access on Coin Craft 1TH.  (Read 779 times)
TheDundalkMiner (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 07:46:46 PM

Hi gang,

So I'm really hoping one of you pros can help me out on this one. I looked around the board and didn't see anything on this particular case, but if I missed it, just point me in the right direction please.

Let me lay the groundwork to give you plenty of ammo to light me up Smiley

First off, I tried to save a few hundred bucks by buying direct out of Hong Kong. I settled on a "reputable" company with a history in the space, and purchased a Coin Craft right that's supposed to run at 1TH.

The unit arrived DOA. After much back and forth, they said they'd make it up to me on MY NEXT ORDER! I guess that they didn't get that it was DOA. Not only that, it had been run for at least some time as it was dust filled -- on the fans, in the case, etc.

So I rolled-up my sleeves to try to make some lemonade, right? I took it apart and started testing. I got it narrowed down to a bad PSU (Cougar GX 1050 - must have been run hard before 'cause they're good from what I understand) and a bad Raspberry Pi and a bad LED that doesn't work. Trifecta, right? Ugh.

I got that taken care of with a NewEgg order (sans LED as that's part of the controller board) and was off to the races -- or so I thought.

I plugged-in my Mac via Ethernet and adjusted the network config to get on the same 1st segment (wifi off) and then navigated to 192.168.1.10 in my browser. I was in! This was huge as just a few days before I was out serious cash.

So I tried to setup my Slush's Pool connection and couldn't get it to connect. I thought it must be cause I'm trying to rig this thing to mine through a wifi at work as we don't have hard line ethernet available. So I changed the IP address (gasp!) in the web browser interface to the miner to 172.20.1.458. Those of you who know, just choked. I didn't, and here's where my trouble begins.

So I know now that you can't have that last three digits above .255. That's just the way IP addresses work. But the web browser took the settings and immediately cut off my access. Boom. Gone.

So I thought I'd just navigate to the "bad" IP address and get it back to an acceptable range, but I cannot get my Mac to see the machine when hard wired in to save my life.

The "documentation" that came with this thing is a complete joke. It literally looks like a two page email.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this thing back online?

1. Is there a factory reset I can do? And how.

2. Can I access and configure the machine through the Raspberry Pi's USB slot? I've never had one before and had to order a male-male USB cable?

3. Is there a way I can confirm the IP address of the machine? I think it's what I set it to, but as bad a luck as I've had so far, I could have typo-ed that puppy too!

4. Anything I'm not thinking of?

I just need to get back to the web interface and I think I can figure out the rest. ha Smiley

Why I thought it'd be a straight-up process this way is beyond me. I don't think I'll be dipping my toe in that water again.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get me out of this muck, I'd be more than appreciative. Heck, I'll send you some awesome homemade beef jerky if you're in the states. Int'l is so expensive to ship.

Thanks, Dan

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
StringTheory

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

Making Sense of Things

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 07:54:40 PM

Use an IP Scanner and set a large range on your network.  Should be able to locate the renegade IP this way if its on your network.

Successful Transactions: jayson3 +1
TheDundalkMiner (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 07:57:57 PM

Use an IP Scanner and set a large range on your network.  Should be able to locate the renegade IP this way if its on your network.

I appreciate that tip, but it didn't work. I tried Wireshark with wifi off and just the machine connected. Started listening, powered the device on, and there's all kinds of traffic, but no IP. I can get the MAC but from what I've read, you can't (or it's really difficult) to go MAC to IP. The other way around is a protocol but doesn't help me out.

I'm thinking that because I jacked the .458 last three, that it's somehow "out of the normal range" and doesn't show up. Or maybe it took another IP address as default. I tried a ton of those.

If the LED display worked on the machine, I bet I'd have something there.

Thanks for the thought though. Much appreciated.

Thanks, Dan
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 08:07:26 PM

Have you emailed the manufacturer on how to reset the machine? I would do that first cos the manufacturer knows best and they should modify their UI to reject invalid IPs too.

Look inside the machine. Is there a jumper or switch inside labeled reset? Or some sort of battery? I hope there is a reset switch somewhere inside.

This a tool to find IP from mac address:
http://www.youngzsoft.net/cc-get-mac-address/
TheDundalkMiner (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 08:29:29 PM

Have you emailed the manufacturer on how to reset the machine? I would do that first cos the manufacturer knows best and they should modify their UI to reject invalid IPs too.

Look inside the machine. Is there a jumper or switch inside labeled reset? Or some sort of battery? I hope there is a reset switch somewhere inside.

Yep. Yep. It's the Chinese Labour Day holiday for the next few days. Figures right? I hope to get this fixed before then. I see a bunch of these machines out there now, so maybe someone has had a similar issue before.

I did look all over the control board for a reset and haven't found anything marked as such. There's the control board from lketc.com and a Raspberry Pi attached to it. No battery either. All good thoughts though.

That tool is to find the MAC address from the IP address. That's not the problem. I need the IP address and I can get the MAC address from Wireshark with a direct connection.

Thanks for the effort though. Greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dan
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 08:47:07 PM

That tool is to find the MAC address from the IP address... <snip>

No, it does it in reverse too. Goto the site and read it again. Fourth item on the list:

Auto scan MAC address of referred IP range
BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 08:49:51 PM

With Wireshark, do you see ARP looking for a gateway?  It might help confirm the subnet it thinks it is on.  Scanning 172.20.1.0/24 turns up nothing?

Depending on how the software interpreted the .458 octet, you might want to try 172.20.1.117 and 172.20.1.202 (dropping first and last bits from 458)

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
rick450

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 04:50:51 PM

Hi - I had a similar problem a while back with a mis-set submask of 255.255.255.255  ...my solution was to monitor the Rpi through the Composite Video connector and use a compatible USB Keyboard to edit the configuration file(s) in linux.

Here is the messages link:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=530025.msg6265965

There might be some typos (conspicuous), so use care if you try some of these ideas.

Rick450
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: