Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:35:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: about Yuval Harari book. Sapiens: A brief history of Humankind  (Read 156 times)
bitmover (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 5878

bitcoindata.science

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2018, 01:26:37 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4), bones261 (2)

Trying to move away from politics and bitcoin subjects, I tried a different book.
I just finished reading the book Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind.
It´s a best seller. I really avoid reading those kind of best seller books, because they are usually not so good, and hardly worth my time...

However, this one is related to my profession and everyone is reading it in Brazil. So I decided to give it a try. I enjoyed it a lot.
The book is very interesting in the beginning.

He talks about the beginning of the mankind. About 100 thousand years ago at least 6 Homo species coexisted, including the Homo sapiens. In his words, freely translated from Portuguese:
It is our current exclusivity, not the multiplicity of species in our past, which is peculiar - and incriminating. As we shall soon see, we, sapiens, have good reasons to repress the memory of our brothers.
Later on, he talks about studies that traced 4-6% of our DNA came from other Homo species, such as Homo Neandertal and Homo habilis, suggesting we somehow mixed with them.

I found that fascinating. Almost a sci-fi world with different humanoids lol

Later on, he talks about how our ancestors lived before the agriculture. This book changed the way I imagined the Stone Age.

It´s sad to see that on the second half of the book he starts a globalism propaganda. He talks about how empires made people´s life better, and that a global empire would be the solutions for wars and social problems. He mentions ONU and the EU…
I looked for that book trying to stay away from those boring subjects that comes to us every day and every time, just to find them again hidden in an ancient history book. Probably this is what this book a best seller.

How is the reception to that book in your countries? This book is like a fever in Brazil now, everyone is reading it. I believe that our bizarre country is probably 5 years late in that fever, or maybe that book didn’t even called much attention in Europe or US…

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 04:55:34 PM

Trying to move away from politics and bitcoin subjects, I tried a different book.
I just finished reading the book Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind.
It´s a best seller. I really avoid reading those kind of best seller books, because they are usually not so good, and hardly worth my time...

However, this one is related to my profession and everyone is reading it in Brazil. So I decided to give it a try. I enjoyed it a lot.
The book is very interesting in the beginning.

He talks about the beginning of the mankind. About 100 thousand years ago at least 6 Homo species coexisted, including the Homo sapiens. In his words, freely translated from Portuguese:
It is our current exclusivity, not the multiplicity of species in our past, which is peculiar - and incriminating. As we shall soon see, we, sapiens, have good reasons to repress the memory of our brothers.
Later on, he talks about studies that traced 4-6% of our DNA came from other Homo species, such as Homo Neandertal and Homo habilis, suggesting we somehow mixed with them.

I found that fascinating. Almost a sci-fi world with different humanoids lol

Later on, he talks about how our ancestors lived before the agriculture. This book changed the way I imagined the Stone Age.

It´s sad to see that on the second half of the book he starts a globalism propaganda. He talks about how empires made people´s life better, and that a global empire would be the solutions for wars and social problems. He mentions ONU and the EU…
I looked for that book trying to stay away from those boring subjects that comes to us every day and every time, just to find them again hidden in an ancient history book. Probably this is what this book a best seller.

How is the reception to that book in your countries? This book is like a fever in Brazil now, everyone is reading it. I believe that our bizarre country is probably 5 years late in that fever, or maybe that book didn’t even called much attention in Europe or US…

Now they have to make a new edition http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/03/ancient-skulls-may-belong-elusive-humans-called-denisovans
modernbuddha

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

Strategy & Operations at WeTrust

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2018, 04:32:45 PM

I met him in person and have a signed copy of his book! Crazy to see Bitcontalkers also into it as well Smiley A great read.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: