Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:04:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When will Antminer E3 stop mining ETH?  (Read 973 times)
dagarair

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2020, 10:32:23 PM

Cant mine ETC with ASICS its a different algo

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
miner29

Activity: 1262
Merit: 138

View Profile
December 06, 2020, 11:05:24 PM

Well they did it once (firmware update) for eth. the new etc algo can be mined with 3gb so i don't see why they wouldn't at least consider another update to allow it to mine etc rather than just let it become a garage heater and/or doorstop.

It wont...not how it works.  The memory saving software changes were possible.  The major change to the algo will not be softwqre fixable.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1709

View Profile
December 07, 2020, 04:34:22 AM

When I heard that they were going to reduce the DAG so 3GB or higher can mine again, I assumed that it all that they would do. However it seems that the algo is slightly different. Nicehash basically dropped ETC support all together because they didn't want buyers of hash to be stuck with nothing but invalid shares and all Daggerhashimoto ASICs won't work since there is a slight difference in the algo.

I don't understand why they don't allow ASICs to mine, especially the E3. The E3 are going to stop mining ETH pretty soon and would do good security the ETC network. I don't think there are millions of them in Chinese warehouses that poses as a 51% attack threat. Anyways its sad to here that E3 is finally a door stop. Probably going to see tons of these on eBay and Craiglist now.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
miner29

Activity: 1262
Merit: 138

View Profile
December 07, 2020, 04:48:57 AM

When I heard that they were going to reduce the DAG so 3GB or higher can mine again, I assumed that it all that they would do. However it seems that the algo is slightly different. Nicehash basically dropped ETC support all together because they didn't want buyers of hash to be stuck with nothing but invalid shares and all Daggerhashimoto ASICs won't work since there is a slight difference in the algo.

I don't understand why they don't allow ASICs to mine, especially the E3. The E3 are going to stop mining ETH pretty soon and would do good security the ETC network. I don't think there are millions of them in Chinese warehouses that poses as a 51% attack threat. Anyways its sad to here that E3 is finally a door stop. Probably going to see tons of these on eBay and Craiglist now.

Mess provides security against 51% hash.  Conside how many 4gb gpus will be on ETC once ETH dag is too big.   I think ETC is about to see a big jump overall.  Time will tell.
Wingsbtc

Activity: 210
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 07, 2020, 06:06:34 AM

Hello,

I am trying to find out this question but i can´t seem to find a date.

When DAG size is over 4GB (antminer E3 RAM) then it will be over and this machine will have no way to mine ethereum?

I've read in some articles that Bitmain released a software which extended life expectancy of these miners by several months... Can this be done again?

I guess this is a common question about ETH mining, but i can`t find it out for this miner.

Thank you all
miguelik

EDIT: I have read this miners will stop mining around OCT 2020... Is this definitive?
Whatever happens to Ethereum by 2020 shouldn't affect asic miner E3 because Ethereum isn't  the only digital currency that's using the Ethash Algorithm, you can still mine Ethereum Classic instead and also Ethereum Classic accepts miners with 3gb memory too, that's extra long life span for 4gb miners

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
jadefalke
Legendary

Activity: 1457
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 07, 2020, 07:53:53 AM

Hello,

I am trying to find out this question but i can´t seem to find a date.

When DAG size is over 4GB (antminer E3 RAM) then it will be over and this machine will have no way to mine ethereum?

I've read in some articles that Bitmain released a software which extended life expectancy of these miners by several months... Can this be done again?

I guess this is a common question about ETH mining, but i can`t find it out for this miner.

Thank you all
miguelik

EDIT: I have read this miners will stop mining around OCT 2020... Is this definitive?
Whatever happens to Ethereum by 2020 shouldn't affect asic miner E3 because Ethereum isn't  the only digital currency that's using the Ethash Algorithm, you can still mine Ethereum Classic instead and also Ethereum Classic accepts miners with 3gb memory too, that's extra long life span for 4gb miners

a) you did not read the postes above you
b) there are no other Coins with Daggerhashimito as algo that could sustain all those E3 Asics.
cg_miner

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2020, 04:06:34 PM

Are there any alternative for ETH to mine with E3? Currently, I'm mining Metaverse, there is Ubiq but I'm not sure are they solid choice?
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2020, 04:27:33 AM

Are there any alternative for ETH to mine with E3? Currently, I'm mining Metaverse, there is Ubiq but I'm not sure are they solid choice?

The only ones with active exchanges are Ubiq, Metaverse and Expanse. There are others like Soilcoin and Musicoin but they don't have any exchanges at the moment. Currently if you got free power you can make a few pennies mining these. However I am sure in a week or so everybody else will switch to these coins and completely make the difficulty higher.

Just wondering did any of your E3 guys ROI your ASIC? I remember they were decently priced and then when they heard that ETH is not switching the algo they doubled their prices for the E3 on the second batch. Wondering if you guys got ROI in terms of ETH and USD?

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1033

View Profile
December 08, 2020, 04:41:25 PM

Musicoin
https://miningpoolstats.stream/musicoin
118.18 MH/s
It seems that the entire blockchain is served by 4 video cards such as RX 470  Smiley
Anyone can organize an attack of 51%, but there will be no profit anyway

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 05:48:53 AM

Musicoin
https://miningpoolstats.stream/musicoin
118.18 MH/s
It seems that the entire blockchain is served by 4 video cards such as RX 470  Smiley
Anyone can organize an attack of 51%, but there will be no profit anyway

Yes I used to follow MUSIC alot back in the 2017 days. They're issue early on was the high block reward which was like 314 MUSIC per block. Later they did some dev share where a portion of every mined block went to the developers and it seems that now, there is almost no miner reward. I tried mining this a few days back and the miner reward seems to be 0 but you only get paid the mining fees. Makes no sense what so ever. And yes anyone can do a 51% attack however this coin currently sits at 2 sats with only 1 exchange.

I also heard that they are moving away from their own MUSIC blockchain into an ERC20 token. This makes more sense because its not smart having your own blockchain and expect miners to mine it for free. This is not like ETH or BTC where the transaction fees are a large portion of the miner reward. The miner reward from fees are almost 0. Hence no reason to mine at all.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
cali747

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2020, 11:39:45 PM

Cant mine ETC with ASICS its a different algo

yea i tried, cannot mine ETC. Unless bitmain decide to upgrade the firmware?
what alt coin to mine? metaverse? ubiq cannot be mined with e3.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: