Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:23:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sha256 miner with best hash to power ratio.  (Read 4093 times)
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:22:15 AM

Spondoolies is already starting to gear up their 3rd-gen stuff; I'm not sure if it's just planning stages or if they have a solid footing on the chip design yet. Those guys are pretty good at getting things done quickly, given they've went from cold to cycling through two generations in about a year. Spondoolies is no longer manufacturing the SP20. If you get one, it'll be from a third-party reseller. I think about the only thing they have still in stock is the SP31.

The Avalon 4.1 is a bit overpriced, but by no means is it loud - certainly not compared to the stock-configuration SP20 and S5. The 4.1 if I'm remembering right has an option to self-optimize, wherein you can set the clock frequency and it'll automatically undervolt itself to the lowest stable voltage (and therefore total power draw) but I could be remembering wrong. I do believe the Avalon4 can operate at the same W/GH points as the S5 and SP20 (but not at the same $/GH). Avalon is taking a lot of flak from screwovers in the past, but as far as I know the company is basically the same name applied to an entirely different management set from previous generations of hardware (and dickery).

Bitmain's S5, and very likely the S2 Upgrade and S6, are string-topology miners which means increased efficiency comes from not losing power in a low-voltage high-current conversion. One principal problem with this topology is lack of regulation. A PSU operating at higher than 12V will cause increased power consumption at frequency setpoints, while a lower voltage could cause instability. There is no ability to undervolt these miners with hardware or software settings (without external apparatus or special PSUs) so the flexibility and futureproofing of them is reduced over standard VRM designs.

ASICMiner's BE300 chips should be funneling in from the factory any time, unless the schedule Friedcat implied some months ago has not been followed. They promise to be the most efficient chips in active deployment (with the exception of BitFury hardware, though I'm not sure if they have their super amazing new stuff in hand yet), with W/GH about half what we see in S5 and SP20 machines. Retail-available miners based around them are still a couple months out, for sure.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 01:59:32 AM

.............. So what asic today have the best hash to power ratio?

Used Antminer S2 + upgrade kit. 0,4W/GHs
https://bitmaintech.com/product.htm

elduderino

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

Using some expensive heaters

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 08:24:49 AM

Spondoolies is already starting to gear up their 3rd-gen stuff; I'm not sure if it's just planning stages or if they have a solid footing on the chip design yet. Those guys are pretty good at getting things done quickly, given they've went from cold to cycling through two generations in about a year. Spondoolies is no longer manufacturing the SP20. If you get one, it'll be from a third-party reseller. I think about the only thing they have still in stock is the SP31.

The Avalon 4.1 is a bit overpriced, but by no means is it loud - certainly not compared to the stock-configuration SP20 and S5. The 4.1 if I'm remembering right has an option to self-optimize, wherein you can set the clock frequency and it'll automatically undervolt itself to the lowest stable voltage (and therefore total power draw) but I could be remembering wrong. I do believe the Avalon4 can operate at the same W/GH points as the S5 and SP20 (but not at the same $/GH). Avalon is taking a lot of flak from screwovers in the past, but as far as I know the company is basically the same name applied to an entirely different management set from previous generations of hardware (and dickery).

Bitmain's S5, and very likely the S2 Upgrade and S6, are string-topology miners which means increased efficiency comes from not losing power in a low-voltage high-current conversion. One principal problem with this topology is lack of regulation. A PSU operating at higher than 12V will cause increased power consumption at frequency setpoints, while a lower voltage could cause instability. There is no ability to undervolt these miners with hardware or software settings (without external apparatus or special PSUs) so the flexibility and futureproofing of them is reduced over standard VRM designs.

ASICMiner's BE300 chips should be funneling in from the factory any time, unless the schedule Friedcat implied some months ago has not been followed. They promise to be the most efficient chips in active deployment (with the exception of BitFury hardware, though I'm not sure if they have their super amazing new stuff in hand yet), with W/GH about half what we see in S5 and SP20 machines. Retail-available miners based around them are still a couple months out, for sure.

Thanks for the informative post.

It does seem to line up with what I've managed to gather...
As I recall, I believe ASICMiner's new BE300 chips are going to be 28 nm.

Do you (or any knowledgeable forum member) know if Spondoolies new gear is going to be on a new (smaller) process, or have any other kind of improvement, or might point me to where I might find out more info related to this (I tried their website/blog, no dice)?

Do the things you know you must do first, then worry about the stuff you're not sure about.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 08:56:59 AM

I'm told they're shooting for a similar package and power levels, initial gen3 boards using a similar design topology as the gen2 boards. I do not, however, know anything about the process size or expected power efficiency.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
elduderino

Activity: 143

Using some expensive heaters

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 07:33:16 PM

Cool, thanks for the lowdown.

Do the things you know you must do first, then worry about the stuff you're not sure about.
cryptocoiner (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

hyperboria - next internet

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 11:56:43 AM

Im looking to buy sha256 miner asic. Just to try it and help the bitcoin network. So wonder what should i be lloking for? Have a feeling main thing novadays is a power effectivness. So what asic today have the best hash to power ratio?

I would think either a Bitmain S5 or a Spondoolies

Is it noisy? Couse im goin to keep it in my room.

kipper01

Activity: 214

1KippERXwH1PdBxKNt1ksgqh89WBv6CtWQ

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 06:10:55 PM

Im looking to buy sha256 miner asic. Just to try it and help the bitcoin network. So wonder what should i be lloking for? Have a feeling main thing novadays is a power effectivness. So what asic today have the best hash to power ratio?

I would think either a Bitmain S5 or a Spondoolies

Is it noisy? Couse im goin to keep it in my room.

S5 I would say is not quiet.  I would not want in room with me.  Shocked

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: