Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:11:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: withdrawal heard round the world  (Read 1325 times)
thresher (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 10:41:42 PM

So who was the person that originally attempted to withdraw funds from Mt Gox a few weeks ago and created this panic?
I know if I went to withdraw money from Mt Gox and I couldn't noone would give a shit so it had to be someone reputable. 
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
g27wr

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

I like guns.

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 10:54:24 PM

So who was the person that originally attempted to withdraw funds from Mt Gox a few weeks ago and created this panic?
I know if I went to withdraw money from Mt Gox and I couldn't noone would give a shit so it had to be someone reputable. 

They made an announcement that withdrawals were halted. I don't think it was any one person who raised the flag.

roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 10:56:32 PM

They made an announcement that withdrawals were halted. I don't think it was any one person who raised the flag.

indeed. it was like mass range.
thresher (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 11:11:18 PM

So they announced they were halting withdrawals and then everyone tried to withdraw and then complained?  That doesn't make any sense. 
I was under the impression that people were attempting to withdraw and gox was not allowing them, and then the gox community caught on and tried to salvage whatever they could for themselves, thus the shitstorm resulting in the price drops.

roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 11:13:11 PM

So they announced they were halting withdrawals and then everyone tried to withdraw and then complained?  That doesn't make any sense. 
I was under the impression that people were attempting to withdraw and gox was not allowing them, and then the gox community caught on and tried to salvage whatever they could for themselves, thus the shitstorm resulting in the price drops.

Probably some withdraw was malweared and they saw it and they stop withdraws Smiley
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 01:24:57 AM

So they announced they were halting withdrawals and then everyone tried to withdraw and then complained?  That doesn't make any sense.  

Probably some withdraw was malweared and they saw it and they stop withdraws Smiley

Or they got an eviction notice and decided to come up with some BS story about something they've been working around since day one and then funded the DoS attacks by dumping coins on BTC-e... They made the SHTF so they could dump coins with positive arbitrage on other exchanges to grab some temporary liquidity...

They attacked the Bitcoin protocol and placed all the blame on everybody else...

This is the time to buy anywhere but Gox. The turning point is coming quick...

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
CryptoVortex

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 04:26:59 AM

There was not just one person who had trouble with withdrawals.  Over the ~10 days before MtGox completely halted withdrawals, there was a growing chorus of account holders complaining that their withdrawals were not being processed.  There is at least one huge thread here full of such complaints.  A number of websites, including Coindesk, created polls that revealed hundreds of customers awaiting withdrawals totaling tens of thousands of BTC.

Gox's service was so bad for so long, that no one complaint could have raised any eyebrows. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: