Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:15:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any other salesmen on this board? I'd like to hear some bitcoin pitches  (Read 1810 times)
hailtopitt (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:03:30 AM

So bitcoin is about to have the first bitcoin ATM's in a few US cities here in the near future if they aren't already out.  But the reality is bitcoin is a niche market.  Most people aren't aware of bitcoin or aren't interested or just don't know what bitcoin is or how they could use it.  

I own a stake in bitcoin and want to see it succeed.  But as a salesman I find it hard to pitch to my friends.  If you're familiar with the acronym AIDA which stands for Attention, Interest, Desire and Action I'd like to hear how you would pitch bitcoin relating to those points.  I can easily get attention but I struggle with building interest.  And of course they fall in order so without interest there is no desire and there is no action, which is buying bitcoins.  

I'm in software sales.  I sell lead software to insurance agents.  When I'm selling my product I ask questions and try to figure out the agents' problem.  And then I proceed to sell them on how my product can solve the problem they have.  With bitcoin, I feel lost to figure out what problems bitcoin can solve.  Most of the rebuttals I get are stuff like "there's already a payment app for that so I don't need bitcoins when I can transfer money easily."  "It's too volatile" they say.  "It'll get hacked or stolen and it's not backed up like my money is at the bank" and the like.  

So guys, please help me.  Tell me how I could pitch bitcoin differently.  Tell me how it solves problems.  That way I can get more people involved with bitcoin.  If I can't, I think bitcoin is destined to fail.  People have to WANT something.  Be it a good or service there has to be a need.  A demand.  And beyond criminals and investors who don't mind about as much volatility as a person could handle I can't find practical uses for bitcoins to sell people on.  Thanks.

Oh also I'm new around here so if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move.  Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:26:54 AM

Send them a few bitbucks and show them how easy it is to buy stuff compared to plastics. You learn by doing, and knowledge dissolves fear.

Oh and also, the volatility is up.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
stylin

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:39:55 AM

Honestly? I would wait this this whole thing with MtGox boils over and we see a period of relative stability, before you do your pitches.

Honorcoin | 100% PoS | 2% Free Distribution
XHC: HEjJZdyJWBjaLH7w12k2nfqAKMEC9h2Lvt
djetter

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:36:17 AM

You're going to have an uphill battle convincing regular consumers that bitcoin is useful right now, because it is not accepted in very many places. It's like trying to convince people in 1994 that the internet is useful, or trying to convince people in 1999 that Paypal is useful.

Instead, we have to start by convincing the merchants, because, for merchants, bitcoin is all upside and no downside. For example, Coinbase converts bitcoins to dollars immediately for Overstock, so Overstock never sees any volatility. Unlike credit cards, Overstock doesn't have to worry about charge backs, and Overstock pays much lower transaction fees. There is zero downside for Overstock.

Once we are able to get the merchants to accept bitcoin, the merchants will convince consumers for us, because the merchants desperately want to be paid in bitcoin. For example, tigerdirect is offering a $20 discount to bitcoin shoppers: http://www.coindesk.com/tigerdirect-offers-discount-bitcoin-shoppers/

So, after bitcoin usage becomes more widespread, it will be much easier to convince consumers. If a consumer asks, "Why should I use bitcoin?", we'll say "Because bitcoins are accepted everywhere (including places where credit cards are not accepted), merchants will give you discounts for using bitcoins, you don't have to expose your personal information when you spend bitcoins, bitcoins are far more secure than credit cards, and the value of your bitcoins will increase over time (in contrast to the value of dollars, which decreases over time)."

"It's too volatile"

Once bitcoin adoption increases, the volatility will go down. Until that day, if you are an investor looking to make money, volatility is your friend.

"It'll get hacked or stolen and it's not backed up like my money is at the bank"

All you have to do is find a reputable digital wallet, such as coinbase, which stores the majority of their bitcoins offline in bank vaults. In that case, your bitcoins are as safe as gold bars.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:00:47 AM

All you have to do is find a reputable digital wallet, such as coinbase, which stores the majority of their bitcoins offline in bank vaults. In that case, your bitcoins are as safe as gold bars.

until the US gov't goes in and freezes those holdings.

i encourage every Bitcoin user to educate themselves on personal computer security so they can hold their own BTC's.  it's part of understanding what Bitcoin is all about; ppl taking responsibility for their own finances.
djetter

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:38:22 AM

i encourage every Bitcoin user to educate themselves on personal computer security so they can hold their own BTC's.

If you are concerned about your account being frozen, or perhaps a bank run, then by all means, hold your own bitcoins. But this thread is about pitching bitcoin, and most people, rightly or wrongly, are not going to educate themselves about personal computer security. They don't want the responsibility of securing a password that, if lost or stolen, will result in a significant, irreversible loss of wealth. Given that requirement, I would argue that a reputable online wallet is the ideal solution.

If you want to convince the average consumer to adopt bitcoin, you need to convince them that they will benefit from bitcoin even if they don't want to accept any new responsibility or learn about personal computer security. If you lecture them about accepting personal responsibility for their own finances, you may lose a potential bitcoin convert.
cosmofly

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:43:20 AM

Send them a few bitbucks and show them how easy it is to buy stuff compared to plastics. You learn by doing, and knowledge dissolves fear.

Oh and also, the volatility is up.

No it is not easier to buy stuff using bitcoin, plastics are good enough. This argument makes no sense. And about speed of transfer fiat transfer can be increased without using bitcoin protocol, they can just setup another protocol that is faster and more reliable

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:52:47 AM

So guys, please help me.  Tell me how I could pitch bitcoin differently.  Tell me how it solves problems...

Show your friends the value of the USD:

Those images are old, today it's even worse.
Bitcoin solves the problem, since the Gov isn't in charge of the money supply.

cosmofly

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:55:42 AM

So guys, please help me.  Tell me how I could pitch bitcoin differently.  Tell me how it solves problems...

But the USD doesnt crash overnight or make u an instance millionaire just because u got lucky

Show your friends the value of the USD:

Those images are old, today it's even worse.
Bitcoin solves the problem, since the Gov isn't in charge of the money supply.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: