Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:27:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC Ruling On Net Neutrality  (Read 913 times)
freedomno1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:35:27 AM

The question being if society is to be regulated in the forms of information it can receive and the speed at which new services crop up does this lead to a slippery slope from which we will not be able to return.

The compromised Open Internet Order struck down today left much to be desired, but it was a step toward maintaining Internet users’ freedom to go where they wanted, when they wanted, and communicate freely online. Now, just as Verizon promised it would in court, the biggest broadband providers will race to turn the open and vibrant Web into something that looks like cable TV. They’ll establish fast lanes for the few giant companies that can afford to pay exorbitant tolls and reserve the slow lanes for everyone else.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/116222/court-fcc-ruling-will-let-big-monopolies-take-over-internet
http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/14/fcc-open-internet-order-struck-down/
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/01/net-neutrality-is-half-dead-court-strikes-down-fccs-anti-blocking-rules/

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xenophis

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 06:06:21 AM

Simple free market rules would come into effect. Consumer (you and I) aren't happy with the product (Verizon). A competitor sees this as a vulnerability to gain valuable market shares of the highly sought after ISP market. Consumer is happy with competitors service, albeit a bit more expensive than today's rates (possibly, most likely in fact), but I absolutely believe the services would be much, much faster than is currently present in the majority of the United States. Verizon would either have to take the market loss and hope that their additional "fast lane" users will compensate for that, or they'll revert to some other business model.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:39:15 PM

Simple free market rules would come into effect. Consumer (you and I) aren't happy with the product (Verizon). A competitor sees this as a vulnerability to gain valuable market shares of the highly sought after ISP market. Consumer is happy with competitors service, albeit a bit more expensive than today's rates (possibly, most likely in fact), but I absolutely believe the services would be much, much faster than is currently present in the majority of the United States. Verizon would either have to take the market loss and hope that their additional "fast lane" users will compensate for that, or they'll revert to some other business model.

No, there's no competition in many places, plus it's very difficult and expensive to start a new ISP, and there's also shady agreements between ISPs so they can have control over prices, maintain their monopoly and keep new players from entering the market.

Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 05:10:52 PM

Huge setback for the Internet
But lat word has hopefully not yet been spoken

jakedeez

Activity: 512
Merit: 250

ICO is evil

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 06:27:50 PM

Huge setback for the Internet
But lat word has hopefully not yet been spoken

I have the same initial reaction, but I am not really sure it is a setback... I mean, it is to a degree... but wouldn't it be cool to be able to stream much better and higher quality?  I mean it'll cost a bit, but whatever... I is a setback for torrents one would think though.
compro01

Activity: 590

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:07:07 PM

Simple free market rules would come into effect. Consumer (you and I) aren't happy with the product (Verizon). A competitor

Let me stop you right there.  The problem is that a competitor DOES NOT EXIST.  Competition in the USA ISP market was basically erased due to the ruling in NCTA v. Brand X.
subvolatil

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

Cypherpunk and full-time CryptoAnarchist

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 08:24:21 PM

Get ready to have your Internet bill  sky rocket.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 09:00:17 PM

Just remember, the worse things get, the more incentive there is for alternatives. Really hoping for mesh networks to become mainstream.
tacoman71

Activity: 320
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 04:25:01 AM

The way I understand the ruling, Net Neutrality applies to all telecom companies except for Comcast.

Feeling generous? Like my post? Leave a tip at BTC: 1NZJ8cceqEiKDZGAJged2vNGCyfFMUEYPt
Kaligulax

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:00:37 PM

One answer might be for internet companies to form their own internet provider services; effectively bypassing Verizon, AT&T, and everyone else who lobbied for this.

1FxCUCAij9FT9fXQSqYHHMiaELhRTAhui6
compro01

Activity: 590

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 02:16:42 PM

One answer might be for internet companies to form their own internet provider services; effectively bypassing Verizon, AT&T, and everyone else who lobbied for this.

Google is already doing that, but state legislatures are basically being bribed to blockade them, as well as municipal fibre projects and anything else that would threaten the telcos and cablecos.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: