Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:36:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Collection of 18.767 found (and used!) Brainwallets  (Read 154 times)
TheArchaeologist (OP)

Activity: 306
Merit: 727

---------> 1231006505

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2018, 12:33:08 PM
Merited by odolvlobo (1)

Hi,

As been discussed many times before using a (weak) Brainwallet is a bad idea. I ran some tests myself and got some input from users over here. This far I have a collection of 18.767 BTC-addresses based on a brainwallet which have been used in the blockchain before.

I tried to compare my results with the results of other researchers but could not find any lists online at all. I found some examples but not a comprehensive list. So I published my own results over here: https://eli5.eu/brainwallet

Please note: all published addresses have a balance of 0 so this is not a list for robbers Smiley. There are also a lot of extra datasets I haven't used this far so I expect the numbers to go up once I use them as well (I'm in the middle of perfecting my own tooling and blockchain parser so this will take some more time first).

I love to get some feedback and if you have results to share which I missed in this round I'm more than happy to hear from you and include them.

TA

Note: Based on my original posting from two days ago on the Technical Discussion subforum but this might be a better place (?)

Sooner or later you're going to realize, just as I did, that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dellmoon

Activity: 252
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2018, 02:20:34 PM

Hands down to your dedication. You can sure try in getting added to some forums or telegram groups where people test new wallets and post their results. But, just so you know , I think Brainwallet lost it's credibility after coindesk published some articles on how wallets can be easily accessed. They could have made a better safety assurance, which they clearly failed to do so.
rosstiller

Activity: 98

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 05:38:48 PM

I think brainwallet is not a good idea to collection of 18.767 but at some cases it may be useful. Brainwallet use a single passwords which is not very secured. If anyone can guess the password his/her password it can be hacked .
cryptosmith03

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 06:00:28 PM

As mentioned Braiwallet is a mess. Actually I didn't use it before and now just researched about it and found nothing interesting. It hasn't any user feedback but some complains and has an average rating. There are many wallets we can use safely rather to use this kind of wallets. I would suggest good wallets to use which has a nice user feedback.
TheArchaeologist (OP)

---------> 1231006505

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2018, 09:24:45 PM

As mentioned Braiwallet is a mess. Actually I didn't use it before and now just researched about it and found nothing interesting.

I myself still find them very interesting for research purposes. I like to see what people came up with as their brainwallets (mostly in the past). I still going to use a lot of datasets to improve my results and also have some ideas for next steps.

Sooner or later you're going to realize, just as I did, that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path
TheArchaeologist (OP)

---------> 1231006505

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2018, 09:28:32 PM

Brainwallet use a single passwords which is not very secured. If anyone can guess the password his/her password it can be hacked .

Actually, you can use anything for a brainwallet: from a single word to an entire phrase or text. The main problem though is what it's not something truly random when you  come up as a person with the input.

bitcoinhero777

Activity: 77

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 09:32:42 PM

That is a lot of hard work you did there. Kudos to your patience and dedication. I think you can try getting added to some Telegram groups where people test wallets and post their results. I am sure you can find plenty of them there. But, I think Brainwallet lost its credibility after coindesk published some articles on how the password of the wallet can be easily accessed by others. They could have avoided this with simple key-stretching in my opinion.
cryptorampage963

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 12:20:05 AM

I am really amazed to see how much effort you spent behind such work. But, I personally think Brainwallet is not safe for people to go for whereas there are many better options available. There has been a lot of fuss about their site where people's identity and passwords were crackable and got stolen too.
TheArchaeologist (OP)

---------> 1231006505

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2018, 01:52:59 PM

That is a lot of hard work you did there. Kudos to your patience and dedication. I think you can try getting added to some Telegram groups where people test wallets and post their results.
Thanks for your kind words! Do you have any extra information on these Telegram groups you mention?

TheArchaeologist (OP)

---------> 1231006505

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2018, 01:55:00 PM

I am really amazed to see how much effort you spent behind such work.
Thanks! But I'm far from done Smiley I'm currently ironing out some stuff in my parser and will be checking a lot more datasets afterwards to look for more brainwallets!

jakedeez

Activity: 512
Merit: 250

ICO is evil

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 05:16:33 PM

If we would only have an opportunity to know in advance what things will be valuable in the future... This is the most desirable supernatural ability that I want, lol. More than seeing through objects and stopping the time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: