Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:19:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brexit, UK food jobs & cryptocurrency  (Read 146 times)
homeidea11111 (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2018, 09:53:45 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2018, 07:46:22 AM by homeidea11111

Hi all,

I've written an article about Brexit, the affect on the UK food sector and cryptocurrency. You can find it here:
https://medium.com/@homeidea11111/will-brexit-ruin-the-uk-food-sector-and-will-crypto-save-it-6f08ad98d795

Thank you Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SplendidHunter

Activity: 196
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 10:33:04 PM

Hi all,

I've written an article about Brexit, the affect on the food sector and cryptocurrency. You can find it here:
https://medium.com/@homeidea11111/brexit-food-cryptocurrency-525d43763a43

Thank you Smiley
This is indeed an interesting compilation, I have never seen such different things rather than one place before. Thank you for the job and research that you have done for us, sadly I don't have merrits.
homeidea11111 (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2018, 11:10:11 PM

Thank you.
There's various ways the cryptocurrency world can help in different problems of the world.
Panda Trump

Activity: 588
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2018, 11:33:41 PM

Hi all,

I've written an article about Brexit, the affect on the UK food sector and cryptocurrency. You can find it here:

Thank you Smiley

Well, I get that this is a nice idea and all and that this would be a great opportunity to give cryptocurrencies their wanted attention, but..

Why the hell do we have to solve this with Cryptocurrencies? Of course, it would impact the crypto market very positively, but for the rest, what advantages does the crypto-market offer in this case? Why would one not simply launch an off-the-chain app for these home cooks?

It's nice and all, but I'm not so sure if we need to involve Cryptos here...

homeidea11111 (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2018, 11:43:09 PM

Hi all,

Thank you Smiley

Well, I get that this is a nice idea and all and that this would be a great opportunity to give cryptocurrencies their wanted attention, but..

Why the hell do we have to solve this with Cryptocurrencies? Of course, it would impact the crypto market very positively, but for the rest, what advantages does the crypto-market offer in this case? Why would one not simply launch an off-the-chain app for these home cooks?

It's nice and all, but I'm not so sure if we need to involve Cryptos here...

This is discussed here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeEats/comments/9276xf/frequently_asked_questions_faq/
and in the whitepaper in further detail:
http://homeeats.co.uk/documentation/Homeeats%20Business%20Whitepaper.pdf
homeidea11111 (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2018, 07:46:43 AM

I've deleted the original article and posted it here:
https://medium.com/@homeidea11111/will-brexit-ruin-the-uk-food-sector-and-will-crypto-save-it-6f08ad98d795
Ava Duvall

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 09:23:02 AM

An interesting article, quite different but interesting and informative. please share more if you come across them!
Scoobers

Activity: 78

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 10:14:50 AM

Hi all,

Thank you Smiley

I do not seriously think restaurants that have spent years building a recognised brand are going to rely on home cooking to deal with demand they cannot fill.
Restaurants will not suffer any more than the other industries that rely on low paid workers to make their profits.
A lot of food retailers use people from non-EU countries already,for example overseas students working part time while studying and short term workers on temporary Visas.
If these positions cannot be filled there will have to be wage increases which will result in higher food bills but may go to address the imbalance between low paid workers and those in white and blue collar jobs.

Genesisnetwork.io │ P2P Payment Ecosystem │ POW-MNs
Solution for businesses & e-commerce
Fair Launch │ Airdrops & Bounties
Don Pedro Dinero
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1491

The first decentralized crypto betting platform

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2018, 10:52:55 AM

If these positions cannot be filled there will have to be wage increases which will result in higher food bills but may go to address the imbalance between low paid workers and those in white and blue collar jobs.

I totally agree with the highlighted part but I don’t think what you say may happen will be the case. It think it is more likely that the working class will get poorer as a result.

Scoobers

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 04:04:04 PM

I totally agree with the highlighted part but I don’t think what you say may happen will be the case. It think it is more likely that the working class will get poorer as a result.

It's all about supply an demand, generally speaking, if a particular job is in demand, the only way to fill it is to offer more money, better benefits and working conditions (i.e. offer a better package than your competitors).
It may be that less suitable people are employed to fill those positions and employers may not have the luxury of being able to pick and choose who they want.

Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 04:39:01 PM

Well the UK wanted to get rid of all the 'filthy migrant workers' so they got Brexit. Why are they crying now that there is a shortage of cooks lol  Grin
Joking aside, I am curious about how well this Home Eats app will function when, say, a customer enters a restaurant and orders a dish and there is no cook present in the establishment at the moment to prepare it. How fast are the home cooks going to be in regards to cooking and delivering the meals to the restaurants? This surely takes a lot of time, it will be slower than a pizza delivery haha. Or am I missing something here?
KeezAZA

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

https://eloncity.io

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 05:24:14 PM

Hi all,

Thank you Smiley
Brexit is really something so significant that it can attract or distract people's attention from or to cryptocurrency, so we definitely need to keep an eye on that. It is something that can improve or destroy us. Hopefully Britain will accept Bitcoin as well.

Scoobers

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 05:51:45 PM

Well the UK wanted to get rid of all the 'filthy migrant workers' so they got Brexit. Why are they crying now that there is a shortage of cooks lol  Grin
Joking aside, I am curious about how well this Home Eats app will function when, say, a customer enters a restaurant and orders a dish and there is no cook present in the establishment at the moment to prepare it. How fast are the home cooks going to be in regards to cooking and delivering the meals to the restaurants? This surely takes a lot of time, it will be slower than a pizza delivery haha. Or am I missing something here?

You cannot just cook a meal and sell it. You would need to register with the Food Standards Agency and depending on what food you are handling (eg. meat) you might need approval. You would also be subject to inspections, so the FSA could call at your house at anytime to check how you store, prepare and cook food and would rate you for hygiene and you would be subject to fines for breaching rules. It's a lot of hassle for what could be a small profit.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 05:59:02 PM

I don't really fancy the idea of 50 Afghans locked in a council house wanking into my paella before it's shoved through a hatch. I can't imagine food standards will be upheld to the finest standards but it is kind of a cool idea all the same.

Hopefully Brexit will cause mass starvation and the final thoughts of the population will be to think before they vote on something. And the survivors will cut the politicians down dangling from lampposts and feast on their puffy, mushy corpses.

Wendigo
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 06:44:14 PM

You cannot just cook a meal and sell it. You would need to register with the Food Standards Agency and depending on what food you are handling (eg. meat) you might need approval. You would also be subject to inspections, so the FSA could call at your house at anytime to check how you store, prepare and cook food and would rate you for hygiene and you would be subject to fines for breaching rules. It's a lot of hassle for what could be a small profit.

What you are saying is true, but I am curious about how exactly the restaurants will receive the already cooked home meals and offer those to their clients? Like are they going to receive the meals ahead of time and just reheat the dishes after an order is placed? Does this classify as a restaurant dish or as a convenience store dish that you put in the microwave? We are talking about food items that can spoil rather quickly here.
dev9t9ok

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 08:21:27 PM

Well, you have made a nice research. I even have not thought from this point of view about BREXIT. Generally speaking I thought about the other effects from BREXIT. As far as I know UK is one of the financial centers of the world and it is evidently that BREXIT will affect on UK in the worst way because UK will probably lose its leader position in the financial world. I am observing the pair GBP/USD which is telling me that traders are selling GBP. It means that they consider that BREXIT is not a good choice for UK
Scoobers

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 08:51:40 PM

What you are saying is true, but I am curious about how exactly the restaurants will receive the already cooked home meals and offer those to their clients? Like are they going to receive the meals ahead of time and just reheat the dishes after an order is placed? Does this classify as a restaurant dish or as a convenience store dish that you put in the microwave? We are talking about food items that can spoil rather quickly here.

There is already a retail outlet that does this, complete ready made meals frozen that just have to be microwaved when needed.
I don't think this would be acceptable in a restaurant and I for one would not spend my money in a restaurant that doesn't cook it's own food on the premises.

Wendigo
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 09:53:01 AM

There is already a retail outlet that does this, complete ready made meals frozen that just have to be microwaved when needed.
I don't think this would be acceptable in a restaurant and I for one would not spend my money in a restaurant that doesn't cook it's own food on the premises.

Yep that's the big problem with this project and I honestly think the idea is dead in the water and won't take off. I can't imagine any self-respecting high-street restaurant is going to offer such dishes to their clientele and charge premium prices. You can order whatever you want from fast food joints and get it delivered home for a lot less. I am not convinced the quality of the home cooked food will be much better than say the Asian fast food place in the neighbourhood. I prefer dining at restaurants with professional cooks and will happily pay the bill instead of getting reheated packaged meals by amateur home cooks haha.
Deubila

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2018, 09:09:17 PM

The amendment corrected some important information. Thank you for your sharing that helped people understand the article. You have answered most of this article, detailed discussions and lots of new information. We should unite to give the community good values. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: