Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:34:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Man, A Dream and a 4MW Facility. My journey setting this badboy up  (Read 24228 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
dagarair (OP)

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2019, 10:55:21 AM

i really like the idea but what about now is it profitable now ? and what if someone dont use all his power do you refund him for the rest or it will be a lose

At .10 cents yes its actually profitable right now.  On power consumption, if you buy 10kw its billed as 10kw (if your machine is offline, broken etc) it's up to you to fix it or if its dead then that will be removed the following month.  This is very standard at data farms.  Say you have 10 machines pulling 1K each = 10kw.  one dies next month IF YOU WANT IT SENT BACK or its permanent dead i'll adjust to 9kw.  if its offline a week you still pay 10kw.

Is there anyway for you to get that energy cost lower?

I see other mining data centers able to get their electric cost down to 8 cents,  some of the lucky ones even down to 5 cents.

I am just curious b/c I would like to have a data center like you one day if i ever make it rich in crypto.

My rate is not 10 cents, but you have to recover the cost of your building and the massive cost of all the equipment to make this happen. you can get it cheaper in other parts or the country MAYBE.  There are massive crackdowns by cities all over the USA about building these facilities.  If someone is charging 5 cents, more than likely they are not in the USA or in a crap hole facility where you will be lucky to get your stuff back.  I can see 8 in some areas.

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
January 28, 2019, 06:44:12 PM

i really like the idea but what about now is it profitable now ? and what if someone dont use all his power do you refund him for the rest or it will be a lose

At .10 cents yes its actually profitable right now.  On power consumption, if you buy 10kw its billed as 10kw (if your machine is offline, broken etc) it's up to you to fix it or if its dead then that will be removed the following month.  This is very standard at data farms.  Say you have 10 machines pulling 1K each = 10kw.  one dies next month IF YOU WANT IT SENT BACK or its permanent dead i'll adjust to 9kw.  if its offline a week you still pay 10kw.

Is there anyway for you to get that energy cost lower?

I see other mining data centers able to get their electric cost down to 8 cents,  some of the lucky ones even down to 5 cents.

I am just curious b/c I would like to have a data center like you one day if i ever make it rich in crypto.

My rate is not 10 cents, but you have to recover the cost of your building and the massive cost of all the equipment to make this happen. you can get it cheaper in other parts or the country MAYBE.  There are massive crackdowns by cities all over the USA about building these facilities.  If someone is charging 5 cents, more than likely they are not in the USA or in a crap hole facility where you will be lucky to get your stuff back.  I can see 8 in some areas.

Of course, you have to operate at some profit margin to keep the lights on and continue business.

So how does it generally work? Do you make a deal with the energy company like PG&E for industrial electric rates?

Does finding locations near a water Dam help to lower rates?

Does operating in washington state have better rates than other states?

I live in california but electric rates are pretty high for residential and around 10 cents for industrial rates.  Not sure how to get it lower?

One crazy idea is buy land, buy a bunch of solar, run miners? Or initial cost 2 high for this to be feasible?
evlo

Activity: 155
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 28, 2019, 07:08:28 PM

no
dagarair (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2019, 08:11:41 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2019, 09:56:50 PM by mprep

So how does it generally work? Do you make a deal with the energy company like PG&E for industrial electric rates? 
Not really a deal, just find a area with decent rates then your usage dictates the rates.  There really is no "guaranteed" rate.

Does finding locations near a water Dam help to lower rates?
No idea, i would assume close to any power plant is better as transmission is not far

Does operating in washington state have better rates than other states?
Yes and No.  They are cracking down hard on any mass usage especially crypto

I live in california but electric rates are pretty high for residential and around 10 cents for industrial rates.  Not sure how to get it lower?
You can't CA sux for rates.

One crazy idea is buy land, buy a bunch of solar, run miners? Or initial cost 2 high for this to be feasible?
Depends on how much you are talking about.  A commercial 2mw solar array will run you about 5 million.  I checked, LOL.  Yes you can get it cheaper but i'm talking about the whole smash and good stuff not junk.

WOOT got 2 more 8ft x 8ft vents cut in yesterday

Vents going in

Dudes setting up

2 big ass holes  Tongue

Vents in!

WIRE FOR NEXT 2 MW COMING IN 2-4 Months max

rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1303

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2019, 06:06:57 PM

WOW, serious business here  Grin
It's a dream to gain a lot of momey just mining, but like any business, it's a lot os risk
In the past I dreamed about rent a place, moving there and live only mining, but in my country it's impossible, and moving to another one is not a good idea (laws, risk of having to pay higher rate if you are mining etc)

Good lucky bro

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
May 25, 2019, 07:00:26 PM

Nevada has 4 cents industrial rate.  What rate are you paying in your location if you don't mind me asking?

I would like to someday move my rigs out from the colo which im paying 8 cents for to something thats more like 4 cents or cheaper and rent or own out a facility.  I'll need another crypto bull run like in 2017 in order to pull this off comfortably.

I have 36 nvidia cards a mix of 1070ti/1080ti  and 11 asics.

If you had to do this all over again? Would have you preferred to buy coins and not deal with all this work instead or actually still setup a mining facility.?

arbifahrozy

Activity: 896
Merit: 100

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
May 25, 2019, 07:48:36 PM

so you use the room in that place?
like a good idea by reviving the mining business at this time.
Hope everything goes well . if in my country I can give electricity licensing like a country and maybe I have made it here too.
good luck sir

dagarair (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2019, 01:03:12 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2019, 09:59:07 PM by mprep

Nevada has 4 cents industrial rate.  What rate are you paying in your location if you don't mind me asking?

I would like to someday move my rigs out from the colo which im paying 8 cents for to something thats more like 4 cents or cheaper and rent or own out a facility.  I'll need another crypto bull run like in 2017 in order to pull this off comfortably.

I have 36 nvidia cards a mix of 1070ti/1080ti  and 11 asics.

If you had to do this all over again? Would have you preferred to buy coins and not deal with all this work instead or actually still setup a mining facility.?

I sell it at 75$ a kw

I don't buy coins, and I am a born miner so no, i would not buy coins.  That being said there is a giant upside to that as you dont need a facility for that  Tongue

so you use the room in that place?
like a good idea by reviving the mining business at this time.
Hope everything goes well . if in my country I can give electricity licensing like a country and maybe I have made it here too.
good luck sir

I am capable of going to 12mw so if i went to that yes i would use about 20K square foot.  Thanks!

GKumaran

Activity: 204
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 04:00:49 PM

Hey !!

Was reading ur past posts as was hooked on to this project of urs, and noticed u'er also a foreman user !! Cheesy

Would luv to have a pro in our servers.
https://discord.gg/PrCtk8S
Alpha0One1

Activity: 588
Merit: 107

View Profile
May 29, 2019, 02:58:14 AM

This is awesome. I'll be watching this thread and this will help me a lot once I've decided to setup my own small facility as well.
Thank you for sharing.
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
May 29, 2019, 08:14:06 AM

What on earth do u need 4mw for ? For comparison you can build a 1mw solar form for about 1.5 million
And it would net you 20k a month or soon solar buy backs.

I know he’s probably using hydro which is probably near free , but 4mw is so much power sitting idle, 4mw of ASICS would cost like 10million
ikicha

Activity: 788

View Profile
May 29, 2019, 08:40:01 AM

Oh my Godnes!!
Awesome bro.

But, how currently profitable? is still profits?
I want to know your sexy rig. Can you post at first page your total Rigs and your total cost?
dagarair (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2019, 12:32:47 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2019, 10:14:48 PM by mprep

What on earth do u need 4mw for ? For comparison you can build a 1mw solar form for about 1.5 million

I know he’s probably using hydro which is probably near free , but 4mw is so much power sitting idle, 4mw of ASICS would cost like 10million

Not sure where you get your facts from but a solar farm that big is 5-6 million after rebates and would not even fit on a roof.  I know because I priced it.  This is a commercial one not a turd and batteriers transfer switch and everything else needed to integrate it. 

Oh my Godnes!!
Awesome bro.

But, how currently profitable? is still profits?
I want to know your sexy rig. Can you post at first page your total Rigs and your total cost?

I am profitable because I am lean.  Not great but not bad,

I also rent out space to customers 10kw or more at 75$ a kw.

badbart

Activity: 449
Merit: 24

View Profile
May 29, 2019, 04:32:16 PM

What gear are you planning on buying?  I've been expanding my small farm buying z11s, Radeon VIIs, GTX 1660s and RX 580s.  Right now is is prime time before a big bull and price of gear sky rockets.
deskless

Activity: 279
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 29, 2019, 05:08:34 PM

What gear are you planning on buying?  I've been expanding my small farm buying z11s, Radeon VIIs, GTX 1660s and RX 580s.  Right now is is prime time before a big bull and price of gear sky rockets.
Why 580 in place of Radeon VII ?
badbart

Activity: 449
Merit: 24

View Profile
May 29, 2019, 07:05:38 PM

I have 8 Radeon VIIs and they run hot, 80 degrees and 75mh on eth.  RX 580s are a little more power but a hell of a lot cheaper card.  If I could run a cool stable 90mh I would buy more but mid 70s makes them less of a buy, still more efficient buy not buy  a huge margin.
dagarair (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2019, 01:05:22 AM

I tripled in size last year.  Last year was the time to expand as everyone was dumping their stuff.  It's already getting expensive again.  If im buying anything it will be P102 or 104's. 

Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
May 30, 2019, 07:51:48 AM

Not sure where you get your facts from but a solar farm that big is 5-6 million after rebates and would not even fit on a roof.  I know because I priced it.  This is a commercial one not a turd and batteriers transfer switch and everything else needed to integrate it.  

Why would you put solar on a roof ? you can buy/lease land cheaply at those prices and ground mount, 5-6 million is like 3x what it costs with all the rebates , batteries ? no one uses batteries comerically , you overproduce and sell back to the grid and that how you pay for the power you use if you have to mine.  What im basically saying is with the amount you are investing why even mine ?  Theres lots of easier ways to make money off the grid and a solar farm would be easy pickings as you can basically mine for free and sell excess back to the utlity.

https://www.landmarkdividend.com/solar-farm-land-lease-rates/

agente

Activity: 239

View Profile
May 30, 2019, 08:43:01 AM

Hey guys do you understand that 4mw from hydro/coal/biogas etc..etc.. is not equal to a 4mw solar plant? We always forget to use "kwP" for solar production
dagarair (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2019, 01:33:01 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2019, 01:55:58 PM by dagarair

Not sure where you get your facts from but a solar farm that big is 5-6 million after rebates and would not even fit on a roof.  I know because I priced it.  This is a commercial one not a turd and batteriers transfer switch and everything else needed to integrate it.  

Why would you put solar on a roof ? you can buy/lease land cheaply at those prices and ground mount, 5-6 million is like 3x what it costs with all the rebates , batteries ? no one uses batteries comerically , you overproduce and sell back to the grid and that how you pay for the power you use if you have to mine.  What im basically saying is with the amount you are investing why even mine ?  Theres lots of easier ways to make money off the grid and a solar farm would be easy pickings as you can basically mine for free and sell excess back to the utlity.

https://www.landmarkdividend.com/solar-farm-land-lease-rates/

OK you are right I'm not going to argue.

Why even mine?  Because I'm a miner.  Please check what site you are on.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: