Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:42:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning: don't use -server or bitcoind where you web browse (v0.3.2 and lower)  (Read 10632 times)
satoshi (OP)
Founder

Activity: 364
Merit: 6723

View Profile
July 19, 2010, 04:01:38 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2010, 05:34:20 PM by satoshi

Don't use the -server or -daemon switch or run bitcoind on a machine where you use a web browser.  It opens port 8332 on 127.0.0.1, the local loopback address, and you wouldn't think that web browsers could cross-site access it, but it is possible.

We're working on a release soon that puts a password on the JSON-RPC interface, but until then, avoid using the -server switch, and don't web browse on the same machine where bitcoind is running.

Update:
The JSON-RPC HTTP authentication feature in 0.3.3 solves this problem.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quantumplation

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2010, 04:03:41 PM

satoshi: How many other developers do you have working with you?

Martin (another forum member and I) were talking about writing a .Net compatible library for integrating bitcoins into other programs.

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
franzl

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2010, 11:07:52 AM

Martin (another forum member and I) were talking about writing a .Net compatible library for integrating bitcoins into other programs.

I think this is a very good idea! I also think it's important to have a PHP library since this is an important programming language for e-commerce sites. It would help a great deal in acceptance of bitcoin as a currency.
Quantumplation

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2010, 04:59:46 PM

Franzl: >_> I abhor PHP, so I can't help you there, but some day (Completely overwhelmed with projects right now, but some day...) we might write the .net library.

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
Axcella

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2010, 06:52:45 PM

this is the only computer i have at present i am working on getting a standalone for the bit coin program until then how do i retain the kash if the connection is lost?
fresno

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 01:42:34 AM

Don't use the -server or -daemon switch or run bitcoind on a machine where you use a web browser.  It opens port 8332 on 127.0.0.1, the local loopback address, and you wouldn't think that web browsers could cross-site access it, but it is possible.

This sounds like something I would not like to have happen, but what does it mean? Let's face it, we're ALL generating Bitcoins on everything we can get hold of. What is the potential damage, in language my Mom might understand?

sirius
Bitcoiner

Activity: 429
Merit: 974

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 05:53:31 AM

Don't use the -server or -daemon switch or run bitcoind on a machine where you use a web browser.  It opens port 8332 on 127.0.0.1, the local loopback address, and you wouldn't think that web browsers could cross-site access it, but it is possible.

This sounds like something I would not like to have happen, but what does it mean? Let's face it, we're ALL generating Bitcoins on everything we can get hold of. What is the potential damage, in language my Mom might understand?

Malicious websites could have a javascript that steals all your coins.

Iris — for better social networks
I'm not a forum admin - please contact theymos instead.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2010, 03:01:01 PM

You can still generate bitcoins, just don't run bitcoind or bitcoin -server or bitcoin -daemon on machine that you use to browse the Web.

As sirius says, if you do you could browse to a website that empties your Bitcoin wallet without your knowledge or permission.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
fresno

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 03:27:49 PM

I'm full of dumb questions today: Are there any other conceivable problems? And would the daemon be protected of it were on a VM and/or chrooted? Thanks.

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2010, 04:10:32 PM

chroot: won't protect you.

Running as a separate VM:  I think will protect you.  But I thought browsers wouldn't allow XMLHTTPRequests to "localhost" from web pages fetched from the web, so my advice would be to test it.  See if you can talk to the Bitcoin daemon from another VM on the same machine by running "bitcoind getinfo" or "bitcoin getinfo" on the non-bitcoin-vm.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
satoshi (OP)
Founder

Activity: 364
Merit: 6723

View Profile
July 24, 2010, 02:29:09 AM
Last edit: July 25, 2010, 11:13:05 PM by satoshi

dbijoy

Activity: 280
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:54:46 PM

Don't use the -server or -daemon switch or run bitcoind on a machine where you use a web browser.  It opens port 8332 on 127.0.0.1, the local loopback address, and you wouldn't think that web browsers could cross-site access it, but it is possible.

We're working on a release soon that puts a password on the JSON-RPC interface, but until then, avoid using the -server switch, and don't web browse on the same machine where bitcoind is running.

Update:
satoshi:you are a right topic in our bitcoin forum,If you want to say that any earnings will be used on their computer, then the account will be banned. If I say that the server or the Doodle switch is not good to use on the computer.If anybody else wants to use another account on the same computer, then he must make a mistake. A new action, you are working in the release soon, that keeps a password on the JSON-RPC interface,And then we must avoid the problem.It is necessary to overcome the problem,0.3.3 soves this problem.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: