Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:17:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: META: Would you like this forum be divided into sub-forums?
Yes, from now on - 6 (40%)
Yes, also subdivide past threads - 6 (40%)
No - 3 (20%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: META: Would you like this board be divided into child-boards?  (Read 570 times)
Sergio_Demian_Lerner (OP)
expert

Activity: 549
Merit: 608

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 02:07:10 PM

The forum is the greatest source of information about cryptocurrencies that exists in the Universe.

There are probably tens of thousands of post, but sadly there not well categorized and finding information regarding a certain subject has become too difficult. Academic papers skip adding references to this forum because of the same reason. The same ideas are re-posted over and over again with an average inter-post interval of 4.37 weeks. Also the number of post a day currently is so high that post get kicked out of the first page in the same day they are published and very few people has a chance to read them. I'm pretty sure the moderators cannot read them all now.
Last, some of us like some subjects a lot (such as Security in my case) but have no interest in other subjects (such how to compile the Saoshi client for the Commodore 64), so a sub-division help us use our time more efficiently to answer posts.

Could the admins subdivide this forum into new sub-forums?
Could the admins do a manual or automatic procedure for sub-dividing past threads on this forum into sub-forums?

sub-forum could be:

1. Scripting language and contracts
2. Lost / Corrupted Wallets
3. The block-chain
4. Block interval
5. Security
6. Privacy
7. Satoshi Client compilation/porting
8. Satoshi client releases
9. Core cryptocurrency improvements
10. Importing /Exporting data from the Satoshi Client
11. RPC commands

...etc...

If it cannot be done in retrospective, then we could create the subforums now and start doing it  from now on...

(I offer to do an automatic subdivision of past threads, as long as the admins provide me with an spec on how messages are stored and provide me with a backup file)

Best regards,
 Sergio.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:11:10 PM

do it to all
+1 the more organize the better
less overwhelming for new ppl in town

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
benjyz

Activity: 140
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 04:27:40 PM

the problem you address are natural in any forum system, which is why quite a few prefer mailing lists for a lot of things. a much better way to solve these kinds of organisation problems are tags, like discourse/stackoverflow does.

the major problem with the forum is really the Alt-Coin section, and stuff like asking the community for money.
joethejudge77

Activity: 42
Merit: 20

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:19:44 PM

That would be great! That would make forum looks easier and will reduce the time you need to find the information you are looking for even if  it can't be done to previous posts

Don't let me be misunderstood.
genjix
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:18:17 PM

no, there's already too many subforums to wade through on this forum. i don't have time to open tons of tabs all the time.
expert

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 01:41:36 PM

no, there's already too many subforums to wade through on this forum. i don't have time to open tons of tabs all the time.

But why would you open all the tabs? Just open the ones that meet your interests, as everybody else.
If there are more subforums, then you will actually need to read LESS post to find the ones that interest you.

expert

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 03:28:43 PM

Sorry for the noise, but I will keep posting in this thread until we collect 30 votes or the admins take any action (which I hope it will be the most voted option)
Currently votes are 9:1 to split this forum into sub-forums.
benjyz

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 03:49:31 PM

hierarchies - we all love them. isn't this post for the Meta section? here we are living in the future with a 20 year old board concept. how about something new? hook up all user ID's to public keys, a subsection of projects with assurance contracts, etc.
bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 04:05:39 PM

This particular forum doesn't seem to be anywhere near active enough to warrant more sub-forums imo. I can usually go to sleep and most of the same threads are still on the first page when I wake up.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
benjyz

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 04:21:36 PM

if anything Alt-Coins need something new. that sub-forum dwarfs the rest.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: