Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:16:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Mining Rig, made from old case parts, questions on power  (Read 632 times)
EchoGecko97 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 03:07:41 AM

Hello, I am current at 5 ASIC USB miners, 2 plugged directly into USB ports, 3 Plugged into a Staples 7 port hub with a 3.5 Amp v5 Power supply, but since I am soon to be getting more units I though I would setup some thing a little more stable, and better looking than a USB hub in a box with a hole and a fan.
My Goal keep it under $10, (not having money and all)

Idea, I do have access to a lot of older equipment so I was thinking of the following

-One older desktop style computer case (the type that sits long ways) about 3U wide (5.25"), maybe painted something nicer like black or blue
-One older PSU that powers on/off from a switch (already in the case), I have units capable of 25-30 Amp on the 5v line (125 watts) (250 Watts total)
-Few of these 10 port USB hubs,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Port-Hi-Speed-USB-2-0-Hub-Power-Adapter-for-PC-Laptop-Black-5V-DC-2A-cc04-/141191084444?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item20dfa4f99c
-A few fans in the front to cool the units down.
The issue is that the PSU that comes with these units is only rated at 2 Amp, to use the 9 ports, (leaving the 10th port on the side to plug in the next hub) I will need 10x510mA or 5.1A 5v per Hub, can I let the units draw the 5.1A from the computers ATX power supply (after splicing a cable together), or are these cheap hubs going to short out?  Since the hubs are the only thing I would have to buy to make this build work I would like to know before I place some low end bids on a few (I am hopping to get 2 or 3 at $3-4 range, then I can add more as I go)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: