Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:46:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer Cooling Setup - small mining farm with 11 Asics - need help  (Read 306 times)
Vinncent (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2019, 01:10:15 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2019, 03:27:16 PM by Vinncent

Dear community,

Maybe someone of you has an idea what I can do better for the "summer setup" of my small mining farm.

I run the following devices:

7x Antminer T15 - 1541 W each
1x Antminer DR5 - 1800 W
2x Whatsminer D1 - each 2200 W
1x Dayun Zig Z1 + - 1200 W

Total 18,187 watts - plus Switch & Co.

corresponds to
about 19,000 joules
Heat load: 64600 BTU / h
Current consumption: 82.6 amperes

In the winter the miners were standing on top of a storage container. Laterally, a fan Trotec TTV 4500 S has provided airflow. On the back wall of the warehouse were two small tube fans embedded in the wall, which provided some fresh air.

https://s16.directupload.net/images/190424/u2sh6cik.jpg

With increasing outside temperatures, the temperature in the hall has also increased dramatically - most recently to 45 degrees. The temperatures of the miners have also increased, PCB partly up to 80 degrees, chips partly up to 95 degrees. That's why I rebuilt as follows:

- Placing the miners in a storage container (about 2 meters wide, 1.80 meters deep, 2 meters high). This center vertically divided with screen printing plate in cold zone behind, warm zone forward. Sawed cutouts for all miners, so that the exhaust air side fits exactly, with sealing tape

- For fresh air down a Helios MV 250 multivent tube fan https://www.helios.ch/de/produkte/detail?id=3821, with air filter Helios LF 250 and silencer
- For exhaust air above a Helios MV 250 multivent tube fan, with air filter Helios LF 250 and silencer

https://s16.directupload.net/images/190424/gc3o4cnp.jpg
https://s16.directupload.net/images/190424/s3p3xkrw.jpg
https://s16.directupload.net/images/190424/g5l6qqvg.jpg

- after turning on all miners they ran about 10 minutes. Then I closed the roll-up door of the storage container - about 5 minutes later, 50% of all miners went into heat protection mode with 0 T / h power

Now I'm not sure what needs to be changed. Too little fresh air supply? Too little capacity for the exhaust air? Or both? Or too little space in the container? As additional options, I could also leave the container open at the front, and e.g. let the Trotec fan blow into the container, if that brings something.

Maybe you have a good tip? 1000 thanks for your help!

Vinncent

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2019, 04:10:10 PM

Dear community,

Maybe someone of you has an idea what I can do better for the "summer setup" of my small mining farm.

I run the following devices:

7x Antminer T15 - 1541 W each
1x Antminer DR5 - 1800 W
2x Whatsminer D1 - each 2200 W
1x Dayun Zig Z1 + - 1200 W

Total 18,187 watts - plus Switch & Co.

corresponds to
about 19,000 joules
Heat load: 64600 BTU / h
Current consumption: 82.6 amperes

In the winter the miners were standing on top of a storage container. Laterally, a fan Trotec TTV 4500 S has provided airflow. On the back wall of the warehouse were two small tube fans embedded in the wall, which provided some fresh air.

With increasing outside temperatures, the temperature in the hall has also increased dramatically - most recently to 45 degrees. The temperatures of the miners have also increased, PCB partly up to 80 degrees, chips partly up to 95 degrees. That's why I rebuilt as follows:

- Placing the miners in a storage container (about 2 meters wide, 1.80 meters deep, 2 meters high). This center vertically divided with screen printing plate in cold zone behind, warm zone forward. Sawed cutouts for all miners, so that the exhaust air side fits exactly, with sealing tape

- For fresh air down a Helios MV 250 multivent tube fan, with air filter Helios LF 250 and silencer
- For exhaust air above a Helios MV 250 multivent tube fan, with air filter Helios LF 250 and silencer
- after turning on all miners they ran about 10 minutes. Then I closed the roll-up door of the storage container - about 5 minutes later, 50% of all miners went into heat protection mode with 0 T / h power

Now I'm not sure what needs to be changed. Too little fresh air supply? Too little capacity for the exhaust air? Or both? Or too little space in the container? As additional options, I could also leave the container open at the front, and e.g. let the Trotec fan blow into the container, if that brings something.

Maybe you have a good tip? 1000 thanks for your help!

Vinncent

I don't think you are moving enough air to put them inside the container. Your duct looks insufficient for a single unit let alone 11...

It would be nice if you measured the cfm a single unit wants while outside the container, that would give you a rough idea.

You don't have to worry about the ambient temperature too much, as long as you can take that hot air out. Your warehouse is like a box, if you don't move that air the hot air will remain and quickly heat the place (great for winter warming, not so much in summer lol).

So visualize your warehouse as a box, and think a way to move the required number of cfm in and out. If you put your miners inside another box (container), the same applies.

Hot air likes to go up, big extractors above help. And i really mean BIG extractors. But that would pull air from the outside, you must find a way to let that air in, assisted or not...

I think you simply underestimated the amount of CFM each unit needs.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2531

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 24, 2019, 04:20:08 PM

Now I'm not sure what needs to be changed. Too little fresh air supply? Too little capacity for the exhaust air? Or both? Or too little space in the container?
Space in the container is rarely a problem - airflow is. The fan on most BM miners are rated at 250CFM each and since you have 11 miners that translates to moving AT LEAST 2,750 CFM in & out of the container. Those duct fans are not made for that, generally they are strictly for boosting airflow through existing HVAC systems that already have blowers in them.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Vinncent (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2019, 06:30:24 PM

I don't think you are moving enough air to put them inside the container. Your duct looks insufficient for a single unit let alone 11...

It would be nice if you measured the cfm a single unit wants while outside the container, that would give you a rough idea.

You don't have to worry about the ambient temperature too much, as long as you can take that hot air out. Your warehouse is like a box, if you don't move that air the hot air will remain and quickly heat the place (great for winter warming, not so much in summer lol).

So visualize your warehouse as a box, and think a way to move the required number of cfm in and out. If you put your miners inside another box (container), the same applies.

Hot air likes to go up, big extractors above help. And i really mean BIG extractors. But that would pull air from the outside, you must find a way to let that air in, assisted or not...

I think you simply underestimated the amount of CFM each unit needs.

Hi Artemis,

thanks for your post.

Yeah - I underestimated the cooling problem with the upcoming summer - my first one with mining. Do you have a recommendation for a matching extractor? How much of them i will need?
Vinncent (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2019, 07:13:15 PM

Space in the container is rarely a problem - airflow is. The fan on most BM miners are rated at 250CFM each and since you have 11 miners that translates to moving AT LEAST 2,750 CFM in & out of the container. Those duct fans are not made for that, generally they are strictly for boosting airflow through existing HVAC systems that already have blowers in them.

[/quote]

Good evening NotFuzzyWarm,

thanks for your helpful calculation!

so I have to remove the two duct fans? Or is it possible to add a special unit?

Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2019, 10:29:30 PM

Hi Artemis,

thanks for your post.

Yeah - I underestimated the cooling problem with the upcoming summer - my first one with mining. Do you have a recommendation for a matching extractor? How much of them i will need?

You need to move that air. Don't worry too much about the ambient temperature, i know units working in tropical climate at 40°C just fine.
You have to increase the volume of air you are moving. If your miners are inside a room or warehouse, you need to move the air that goes in and out of that place. If you also put them inside a container, the container has to move that same amount as well.

You can do as NotFuzzyWarm says and guestimate 250CFM per unit. I'm not really sure about the latest models like the T15, but something like 3000CFM would do. Find something that can move that, such as a one giant fan, or two 1500CFM ones, 4 750CFM ones, etc. MOVE THAT AIR OUT!

If you have seen mining containers you will notice they basically replace the entire wall on the long side so it can flow lots of air, that works great outdoors, but if the container is inside a building, you must make sure that building is letting move that amount of air as well.

Yes i think there are inline fans strong enough, but the smaller the fans the noiser. Also you are fighting the duct itself, you have to measure the cfm in and out of the ducts. For the time being you could try replacing your inline fan with something stronger...

MV 250 provides 910m3/h = 535 cf/m, this is too weak. You can replace it with the MV EC 250 but this only gives you  971 CF/M, so you'd need at least two more ducts as a minimum. (or larger diameter ducts, which move more air).

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
corrado25

Activity: 773
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2019, 06:06:15 AM

These are very powerful miners. I just imagine how much they are emitting heat, and even the creeps because I know how much the farm from the video card in the house is frying. You definitely need a large room cool room that will be well ventilated. I would place the miners at a fairly large distance from each other. Even better as it would be the basement

john2231

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 25, 2019, 07:24:03 AM

If you take the air from outside in day time which is too hot I think it may affect your inside temperature so  my suggestion if you can make a cooler filter that you can put in intake air and big exhaust fan to bring your hot air out it may reduce your temp a bit.

Mining container is honestly too hot if your mining container is in outside the facilities. If you can bring your mining container inside the building or a facility it may reduce the inside temp.
Vinncent (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2019, 08:20:54 AM

You can do as NotFuzzyWarm says and guestimate 250CFM per unit. I'm not really sure about the latest models like the T15, but something like 3000CFM would do. Find something that can move that, such as a one giant fan, or two 1500CFM ones, 4 750CFM ones, etc. MOVE THAT AIR OUT!

https://www.pattersonfan.com/uploads/2/9/7/4/29747215/published/img-6180b.jpg?1522844687

If you have seen mining containers you will notice they basically replace the entire wall on the long side so it can flow lots of air, that works great outdoors, but if the container is inside a building, you must make sure that building is letting move that amount of air as well.

https://101miners.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/IMG_0448-750x450.jpg

Yes i think there are inline fans strong enough, but the smaller the fans the noiser. Also you are fighting the duct itself, you have to measure the cfm in and out of the ducts. For the time being you could try replacing your inline fan with something stronger...

MV 250 provides 910m3/h = 535 cf/m, this is too weak. You can replace it with the MV EC 250 but this only gives you  971 CF/M, so you'd need at least two more ducts as a minimum. (or larger diameter ducts, which move more air).

Hi Artemis,

thanks for these great informations - slowly i get a better feeling for the complexity of the cooling part of mining!

The sheet metal container is placed inside the building. Would you use it for the miners, or place the miners without the container at the bottom of the building? My idea was to seperate the cold area from the hot area inside the container. But maybe these both areas a to small for this amount of ASICs....

I will post some more pictures later, and also a graphic from the room.
Vinncent (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2019, 09:01:04 AM

If you take the air from outside in day time which is too hot I think it may affect your inside temperature so  my suggestion if you can make a cooler filter that you can put in intake air and big exhaust fan to bring your hot air out it may reduce your temp a bit.

Mining container is honestly too hot if your mining container is in outside the facilities. If you can bring your mining container inside the building or a facility it may reduce the inside temp.

Hi John,

can you show me such a cooler filter?

The container is placed inside the building allready...

Thanks!
Vinncent (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2019, 09:44:33 AM

These are very powerful miners. I just imagine how much they are emitting heat, and even the creeps because I know how much the farm from the video card in the house is frying. You definitely need a large room cool room that will be well ventilated. I would place the miners at a fairly large distance from each other. Even better as it would be the basement

Hi Corado,

i room at the basement would be nice - but i only have the "normal" building... so i try to work with the circumstances ;-)

huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2019, 11:54:25 AM

Hi Corado,

i room at the basement would be nice - but i only have the "normal" building... so i try to work with the circumstances ;-)

Not sure about your surrounding space, but personally I'd remove the cabinet sides to increase the total thermal sink area you have available, fit the biggest industrial extractor fan(s) you can as high as you can, and use your tube fans to bring cold air in to floor level.

The thermal sink point is quite important, as the smaller the space you pack all those BTUs into, the faster the airflow has to be to remove the heat. In a massive, high warehouse space, for example, the heat gets chance to rise naturally, so a relatively small extractor at the apex will do a good job, plus you benefit from all the other items in the area conducting heat away as well.

BTW, the science here might be rocky, but it's based on running a medium farm in a small room for several years!

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
Vinncent (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2019, 10:39:32 PM

Hi guys,

Thank you for your many good tips. Here comes the update from todays afternoon:

- Trotec fan aimed at open container
- Mobile air conditioner aimed at open container
- the two Whatsminers D1 started
-> Both ran with stable 45-50 TH / s, the three hashboards with 70-75 degrees in normal range
-> Temperature in cold zone container at about 25 degrees, stable
-> Exhaust pipe feels warm (not hot like yesterday before the shutdown)

Photos:
https://s16.directupload.net/images/190425/d6stg3x3.jpg
https://s16.directupload.net/images/190425/qhbozz97.jpg
https://s16.directupload.net/images/190425/znczmwn4.jpg
https://s16.directupload.net/images/190425/a28f7qn8.jpg
https://s16.directupload.net/images/190425/t94gugoa.jpg

Video:
http://sendvid.com/brulmqiw

At 8 pm I switched on the Antminer DR5:

- Due to lower outdoor temperatures outside the hall, the temperature in the cold zone of the container has also dropped to 23 degrees, and even 17 degrees at the entrance to the hall (there is no more direct sunlight on the east side)
- Hashrate at stable 35 Gh / s, PCB temperatures between 66-71 degrees, chips at max. 80 degrees

Tomorrow I will continue to measure temperatures during the day, and possibly switch on the Dayun Zig Z1 +. Let's see what happens then.

I also think about the recommendations for stronger fans, as well as the tips with the cables (the topic was totally new to me).

In any case, you all a huge thank you for the great help and the many good advice. You are really great! Tomorrow there will be new information ;-)

Good night
Vinncent
dentolas

Activity: 854
Merit: 12

arcs-chain.com

View Profile
April 26, 2019, 07:19:08 AM

Sometimes small details can make a difference. The air intake should be as close to the floor as possible in order to capture the coolest air. The exausts should be as close to the ceiling as possible as the hot air rises and this way you'll be able to create a flow that will sweep the room efficiently from one lower end, to the other higher end.
The exaust diameter should be larger than the intake.
Sometimes, the direction in which you mount your machines in relation to one another can also affect the temp (for example, on GPUs it is more efficient to mount them blowing into eachother - in line). You need to imagine the air currents generated inside your container and try to conduct them efficiently
I would also consider previous comments related to intake/exaust volume

► ARCS ◄ ♦ ARCS - The New World Token (*Listed on KuCoin) ♦ ► ARCS ◄
───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───
Website◂ | ▸Twitter◂ | ▸Medium◂ | ▸Telegram◂ | ▸Whitepaper
naska21

Activity: 1358
Merit: 635

View Profile
April 26, 2019, 08:50:08 AM

~

It is necessary to take all the details into account: material of the walls and its design in your storage container and what is the curvature of screen plate. Wall design and material shall be such as to promote good dissipation of heat while the curvature of screen should be as smooth as possible. I know some Chinese ppl use  3 or 5-layer corrugated cardboard  moistening all the time by dripping down water and located outside container.

Vinncent (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2019, 08:36:55 PM

Thanks for the great tips!

Here are some more facts about the setup:

- Hall size 5m wide, 8m long, 3.5m high
- concrete walls and ceiling, entrance via roller shutter
- Cable supply line is a 5x10 square, about 20m long, fused with 3x50 ampere
- the individual sockets in the container (stands in the hall) for the miners are connected with 3x 2.5 square and secured with 16 amps

This afternoon I was brave and have the Dayun Zig Z1 + as the 4th Miner connected. After a while, the temperature in the cold zone has risen by 1 degree to 22 degrees. The hashrate was normal (varies permanently with the miner, Monacoin in F2Pool)

Tomorrow I will look again at your many suggestions, and possibly start with the first adjustments. Of course there will be new photos, numbers and facts.

Nice evening everybody
Vinncent
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: