Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:36:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Editing and deleting comments. Great option for cheaters?  (Read 229 times)
Veleor (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1653

Rêlêå§ê ¥ðµr MïñÐ

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2018, 05:32:14 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2018, 06:57:59 AM by Veleor

On Bitcointalk Forum there is an option to edit and delete self comments at any time.

Is this right if all users can change their message, even without showing when it was last edited?

Is opportunity of deleting self comments not the most helpful function for scammers?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Piggy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1416

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2018, 05:35:37 AM

On Bitcointalk Forum there is an option to edit and delete self comments at any time.

Is this right if all users can change their message, even without showing when it was last edited?

Is opportunity of deleting self comments not the most helpful function for scammers?

Yes it has happened before, but on the other hand those messages are not completely deleted, if needed they can be retrieved by the admin
Veleor (OP)
Legendary

Rêlêå§ê ¥ðµr MïñÐ

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2018, 05:38:10 AM

Yes it has happened before, but on the other hand those messages are not completely deleted, if needed they can be retrieved by the admin
But what if scammer edit his comments at first and after that delete them?
Silent26

Activity: 602
Merit: 326

Politeness: 1227: - 0 / +1

View Profile
August 02, 2018, 05:47:01 AM

I'm not really sure if the message/reply before it was edited is saved and can be retrieve by Mods and Admin but, the best way to have evidences for now is to archive the page if there are any suspicious information that you think might get edited soon.

404 Not Found
The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 2169

Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2018, 05:48:13 AM

Not at all , even delete there is record on admin panel. So if you find any supiciaus activity you can report to moderator if you have proof. Or if you don't have proof you can open an thread on Meta, so that moderator will investigate. But don't make thread if there is no seriuse case.

For editing that's why every post or every reply have " quote " option. You can use simply if you think there is possibility some thing wrong. If you queted than OP will not able to edit or delete your quote.

Here should be delete option. Sometimes some comment become useless. So OP can delete if he think it's not necessary now. Some one bumping thread , he should delete previous bump before next bump after 24 hour's.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Veleor (OP)
Legendary

Rêlêå§ê ¥ðµr MïñÐ

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2018, 05:53:08 AM

I'm not really sure if the message/reply before it was edited is saved and can be retrieve by Mods and Admin but, the best way to have evidences for now is to archive the page if there are any suspicious information that you think might get edited soon.
Why we should use other sites when Bitcointalk Administration can easily prevent it?
Veleor (OP)
Legendary

Rêlêå§ê ¥ðµr MïñÐ

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2018, 06:02:44 AM

For editing that's why every post or every reply have " quote " option. You can use simply if you think there is possibility some thing wrong. If you queted than OP will not able to edit or delete your quote.
Quote can't be an evidence as well, because any user can falsify it.

Here should be delete option. Sometimes some comment become useless. So OP can delete if he think it's not necessary now. Some one bumping thread , he should delete previous bump before next bump after 24 hour's.
Why delete post instead of edit it and showing when it has been edited?
Silent26

Activity: 602
Merit: 326

Politeness: 1227: - 0 / +1

View Profile
August 02, 2018, 06:03:51 AM

Why we should use other sites when Bitcointalk Administration can easily prevent it?
It's just in case of emergency, it's still better to have your own evidence of a particular suspicious page than to wait for Administrators to provide evidences. Sometimes it is necessary to do something than to just sit down and wait for things to be solved.

Like what I said, since I don't really know if Admins can have a copy of edited messages /replies, it is much better to use Archive.fo to save a copy. Quoting the message/reply is a good idea too but other members can also edit the content of the particular reply so it means someone else can also be able to change its contents.

Well I think I'm right, after doing some research I found out this reply from theymos that might give you some idea.
Can admins see editing history of a post?

Yes, though it's a bit of a hassle.

There's currently no history of profile fields, though, so you definitely can't rely on your signature or anything like that.

404 Not Found
Piggy

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2018, 06:13:38 AM

In some forum the message before the edit is saved as well, simple machine forum can do that as well but i don't know if it's activated this functionality, i would speculate it is.
lukeburchill

Activity: 78
Merit: 17

View Profile
August 02, 2018, 06:20:31 AM

Like what I said, since I don't really know if Admins can have a copy of edited messages /replies, it is much better to use Archive.fo to save a copy. Quoting the message/reply is a good idea too but other members can also edit the content of the particular reply so it means someone else can also be able to change its contents.

Well I think I'm right, after doing some research I found out this reply from theymos that might give you some idea.

There's currently no history of profile fields, though, so you definitely can't rely on your signature or anything like that.

how about this post:
Note however that unlike how it was years ago, edits are now logged and available to admins.
Piggy

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2018, 06:42:53 AM

how about this post:
Note however that unlike how it was years ago, edits are now logged and available to admins.

Nice to have a confirm everything is edited is actually saved. It's probably requiring a bit of space to keep all the changes but it's worth  Wink
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 3408

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2018, 11:46:47 AM
Merited by Veleor (1), r1s2g3 (1)

You can easily see the exact edit time for each post (edits prior to the 10 minute window aren't logged/visible):
- Just hover over the "time" for each post (under the subject line of each comment/post, multiple dots).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Veleor (OP)
Legendary

Rêlêå§ê ¥ðµr MïñÐ

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2018, 12:01:58 PM

You can easily see the exact edit time for each post (edits prior to the 10 minute window aren't logged/visible):
- Just hover over the "time" for each post (under the subject line of each comment/post, multiple dots).
Thank you for explanation, I didn't notice it before.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: