Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:17:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Unable to bind to port 8333 - Bitcoin Won't Start!  (Read 9120 times)
Raoul Duke (OP)
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 03:50:39 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2011, 10:44:42 PM by psy

Hi, since yesterday whenever i try to start the Bitcoin client i get this message:
Unable to bind to port 8333 on this computer.  Bitcoin is probably already running.

No, bitcoin isn't running, not even bitcoind.

This is my debug.log entry from my last try.
Bitcoin version 0.3.21-beta
OS version Windows NT 6.1 (build 7600), 64-bit edition
System default language is 152 Portuguese_Portugal.1252
Language file locale/pt_PT/LC_MESSAGES/bitcoin.mo (Portuguese)
Default data directory C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin
Unable to bind to port 8333 on this computer.  Bitcoin is probably already running.
DBFlush(false) db not started
StopNode()
DBFlush(true) db not started
Bitcoin exiting

The problem existed with bitcoin previous version. I just updated it to see if it would go away, but no luck.

Do any of you guys have any idea to solve this?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 04:03:38 PM

restart computer? that's what i do if i get that error.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Raoul Duke (OP)
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 04:26:24 PM

restart computer? that's what i do if i get that error.

Thanks!

Damn it, i hate restarts.  Cheesy And i hate windoze for that same reason...
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 04:51:47 PM

netstat -tanp | grep -w 8333

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 06:55:29 PM
Merited by LoyceV (4)

You can also pass -nolisten so that it won't try to listen on a port at all.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Raoul Duke (OP)
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 07:25:32 PM

You can also pass -nolisten so that it won't try to listen on a port at all.

Thanks! that saved me one un-necessary restart of my machine.  Grin
woooooofa

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 05:47:32 PM

Can someone post a walkthrough of how to get this started.

I have Bitminter running at the same time and Tenebrix says that it cannot bind to port 8333 because bitcoin is already running...can I not run both at the same time?
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 12:52:02 AM

Just wondering, but did you open task manager and check to see if bitcoin.exe was running?

odysseus654

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 10:20:36 PM

If you can't bind to port 8333 it means that some program on your computer is currently running in that spot (only one program can use a port at a time).

As 8333 is a rather large and rare number with no obvious uses other than BitCoin, I would say that there is a bitcoin.exe program currently running on your machine.

Can you check your system tray (in the lower right hand corner)?  Minimized BitCoin clients don't normally show as a running application, they do show up as a gold coin in the tray though.

Check Task Manager (the "processes" tab) for bitcoin.exe?  Or more than one? (since you managed to launch a second one with the no-bind option)

The "netstat" command that someone gave earlier is a good way to list all the networking programs currently running on your system, although the command they listed doesn't work on windows machines.  This may be a little too much of "lifting up the hood of your computer", but if you drop to cmd prompt (you may need to search for it in start menu, right-click the icon, and say "run as administrator"), and then run the command "netstat -a -b -p tcp" (without the quotes), then you will get a big dump of everything your computer is doing on the internet.  It's a long list, but you are looking for a code ending in ":8333" on the left (in the second column) and on the next line (in brackets) is the name of the exe (that you should be able to find on the "Processes" tab of Task Manager)

As for just leaving this alone and potentially running two copies of BitCoin on the same machine (at least until you reboot)... I'm not sure how it would work.  I don't see how two clients could access the same bitcoin wallet at the same time.  So umm I'm not exactly sure what's going on in your computer, at least if it looks like it's still all working for you.
Raoul Duke (OP)
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 10:43:24 PM

Have you seen my post where i said it was solved and quoted the solution?
It's here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7498.msg110241#msg110241

Also, after restarting the problem went away.
JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 11:02:58 PM

If you can't bind to port 8333 it means that some program on your computer is currently running in that spot (only one program can use a port at a time).

As 8333 is a rather large and rare number with no obvious uses other than BitCoin, I would say that there is a bitcoin.exe program currently running on your machine.

Except that 8333 is the VMWare web based admin interface port number. But other than that, no major applications use that number.  Grin

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: